Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Different CAI scoop

Here are a couple of pictures for your viewing. Same concept as the other scoops just a different way of getting there. There are 2 3" brake duct rubber flex hose connected to a couple of brackets I made up quick. Flow is positive even with a little fan infront of the grill you can feel a good amount coming out the other end. Anyhow back to the football game.....
Cheers!
Attached Images

BFASTNOTLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Enough

Drives: 2013ZL1
Really nice fabrication on top of a great way to feed cold air to the box.
Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
tom7322

Drives: Yes
Good idea, very nice.
tom7322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Nice! Very clean looking! I always like to see people making their own stuff. thanks for sharing!
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
TECADON

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
Looks good, funny I have parts on the way to make my own intake as well as some of the same type hose for my scoop. Now I know that part will work out just fine. I have been making intakes on everything I have owned with great results, shit even them Honda's I use to build made power

Just realized you have flanges you made and welded up. humm even better...
TECADON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Nice job... looks like the air is force fed more directly to the filter. Only problem I see is that rain water probably will be as well, but no problem if you don't drive it in the rain

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
BFASTNOTLAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
Nice job... looks like the air is force fed more directly to the filter. Only problem I see is that rain water probably will be as well, but no problem if you don't drive it in the rain

I thought it might be an issue also, but to my surprise after driving it in the rain this past week I took a hose off and it was completely dry. Plus the hose travels from the intake opening in the grill up over a foot or so before it get's into the air box filter area. No chance in filling up 2 3" hoses in a monsoon if you we're in one. Plus I don't drive it in the rain if I don't have to. I just wanted to confirm there wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks and take care.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Wow! Nice job man! Have you done any before/after dyno testing? Feel any difference in performance?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to get rain water to reach the filter... The only suggestion I do have is if there is a dip or low spot in the hoses where water may collect drill a small hole so it can drain... But it seems like he rarely drives it in the rain anyway, so no big deal.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Nice! Very clean looking! I always like to see people making their own stuff. thanks for sharing!
Dittos to that.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to get rain water to reach the filter... The only suggestion I do have is if there is a dip or low spot in the hoses where water may collect drill a small hole so it can drain... But it seems like he rarely drives it in the rain anyway, so no big deal.
Was thinking the exact same thing. Wouldn't affect airflow at all to make a small hole for water drainage.

Obviously the water bottle was removed but did you have to cut anything to get it to fit?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #12
BFASTNOTLAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Was thinking the exact same thing. Wouldn't affect airflow at all to make a small hole for water drainage.

Obviously the water bottle was removed but did you have to cut anything to get it to fit?
The only thing I cut was the plastic piece that is now replaced by the inlet behind the grill opening. Other than that the flex hose makes it real easy to manipulate direction. Really simple to do, I just wanted to try a sealed tube approach to the air box instead of the typical scoop you see.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
BFASTNOTLAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Wow! Nice job man! Have you done any before/after dyno testing? Feel any difference in performance?
I did not do any back to back dyno test. I don't really get all that excited about dyno numbers plus to much bashing or happy dyno comments in this forum when someone post something that is more than what they had with the same mods. However, I can tell you with the stock air box and the 2 flex hoses I made 3 runs in a row at 111 mph bone stock 3500 miles. This was done at Z-max in June of this year the DA was around 1900 if I remember correctly. I did not have enough time to run without the addition of the hoses so again,no back to back. If you remove the stock scoop in the front of the stock air box your left with a hole that I stuffed both hoses into. Thats all I have have for any data if you call it that. It was a tad crude but it served it's purpose for the moment.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Nice work! Very innovative!

-Tyler
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote