Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 10-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #29
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
It wouldn't hurt to re-check the lug nut torque between the first and second session either. I've found lug nuts can loosen over the duration of a parking lot autocross event. Think 60-ish mph and slower.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #30
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
+1 can you pull the fuse for just the side curtains?
So can you pull a fuse or not???
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #31
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Running a road course in a street car with no cage, no racing seat, no harness and only a helmet is NOT the time to turn off any of your air bags. That is a bad, really BAD idea.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #32
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I raced with someone on a road course who turned his airbags off, went into the wall and got his bell rung really good because no airbags deployed, ended up taking an ambulance ride to the hospital...think twice about disabling them.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #33
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Running a road course in a street car with no cage, no racing seat, no harness and only a helmet is NOT the time to turn off any of your air bags. That is a bad, really BAD idea.
Very much agreed, Pete.

I wouldn't have even opened up the possibility had it been clear that this was going to be an at-speed event on a big track. There, if the airbag module thinks you're about to roll it over there's a really, really good chance that it's about to be proven right.

It's a little different at a parking lot autocross through the cones. Think corner workers, typically located near to where the cars are specifically turning at max lat-g. I have had the experience where a car got crossed up coming past my station, lost sight of where the course went, and ended up driving straight at me and two other course workers. So I've got a slightly different perspective about things that might startle or blind a driver at a really bad time specifically at autocross.

Norm
Old 10-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #34
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Norm,

I turned into the Safety Police over a series of posts across a few threads. I can't tell if people are speed reading and missing a few steps along the way or just want to believe in fairy tales. You absolutely do not fall into either category. In case you missed this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
True, but there are no magazine tests of the 5th Gen Camaro that end in brake failure and impact damage.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-lightning-lap

What was unnerving to this driver, having just survived the most terrifying experience in a 15-year driving life, was that Nissan officials from Japan weren’t at all surprised. They matter-of-factly reported that the Z’s stock brake pads were designed primarily for low noise and low dust, and not for racetrack situations. It’s our view, however—and we don’t think we’re alone—that the NISMO Z, an even sportier version of a sports car, should be equipped with brakes competent enough to survive a few hot laps.

Your 5th Gen shipped with the best combination street track pad available. Noise is a consequence of function. Performance brake pads make noise. Performance brake pads make dust. Less noise, less dust = Less brake Function.
I could use your help to patrol the streets of Camaro5 and post straight talk when it comes to safety. Care to join me?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #35
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

On a number of topics, I've been a voice of caution for years.

I hadn't seen that particular thread, but it falls right in line with what I've been telling people about when the time comes when they suddenly need every bit of braking performance they can find it'll be a bit too late to wish they'd chosen differently. Buy the best performance you can afford even if you have to stretch a bit, and let things like tire treadwear/appearance, or brake dust/noise be tie-breakers.

Historically for myself, it's been averaging about once per set of tires that putting performance above all the other criteria has been proven the right way to go - even in cars that are or have been 100% dedicated to street duty.

Norm
Old 10-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #36
scottyvegas
X SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRSM6 1988 Sportside
Norm & Pete

You guys are great. ALL of your advise is very much appreciated. Very cool.
MODS: PEDDERS XA COIL OVERS, STAGE 3 CAM, McLEOD CLUTCH, SKIP SHIFT, , HURST SHORT THROW, CAI INTAKE, SCOOP, WASHER RELO KIT, KOOKS HEADERS, KOOKS HI FLOW CATS, CUSTOM TUNE, QTP CUT OUTS, PAINTED STRIPES, PAINTED SS EMBLEMS, PAINTED FIN, PAINTED REAR TAIL LAMP BEZELS, HERITAGE GRILLE, DUCTS, AAC STUFF, BAER ROTORS, HAWK PADS, FUZZY DICE, LASER BEAMS, DISCO BALL, SYBIAN & 3 CHROME VALVE STEM CAPS................
scottyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #37
boltvette

Drives: 1963 Corvette, 2001 Corvette
Welcome to our addiction! We were at Spring Mountain, too.

Angelwings Tech hosts a Pony Car Track Day Series. Our last event of 2013 is on Sat. 12/28 at Streets of Willow. In addition to offering awards for the winners and runners up in each of the 3 divisions, we negotiate a group rate with the track day organizers (like Speed Ventures). The tracks we anticipate to be on our 2014 schedule include Auto Club Speedway, Buttonwillow, Chuckwalla, Laguna Seca, Sonoma, Spring Mountain, Streets of Willow and Willow Springs.
2-seater "Camaro" w/JMS Racing LS3; C5 Z06 trans; C6 ZR1 exhaust; Dynatech catback; Ron Davis radiator; trans, diff & engine oil coolers; Pfadt JOC Stage 1 bars & shocks; C6 Z51 brakes; Angelwings C5 Track Day Bar; Angel Pads!
boltvette is offline   Reply With Quote