Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #1
Lifesaver

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6 Red
Check Engine Light?

Hello,

I have a 2012 V6 Camaro. I bought it new in 2011. It has about 46,000 miles on it now, and has never had any issues. Last night my CEL came on. after looking thru the manual, I checked the gas cap. It was on tight. I did undo it and retighten it anyway just to see? The light stayed on after that was tried. Today I started my Camaro and the light was still on... I opened the hood and checed the dipstick. I found that my oil level was low (oil change reminder just came on a couple days ago too, so was time for oil change). After checking the oil level, I restarted my Camaro, and the CEL is no longer on?

My Camaro runs perfectly fine. I haven't noticed any decreased performance. I was wondering if the oil level being low could cause this light to come on, and if pulling the dipstick would have it turn off for some reason. I'm heading out to do an oil & filter change now.

Was also thinking that maybe the gas cap was slightly off, and I just didn't realize it when I checked it last night? Maybe needed some running time or something to repressurize? I don't know? I only drove it maybe 10 miles since the light came on, after retightening the gas cap.

Was going to take it to Advance Auto for a code check, but without the CEL on anymore they wouldn't be able to tell me anythng.

Hopefully it was a fluke, gas cap, or possibly low engine oil level? Not sure now though, since the warning light is off at the moment?

I read tons off information from on this forum about purge valves, charcoal canisters, misfires on cylinders, dirty injectors, etc... Although, I am feeling good knowing that I do have a 2012 model. Seems allot of those issues were from earlier 2010 - 2011 model Camaro's. It's still unsettling knowing that something may be wrong!

Just wanted to post up about my issue, and see if anyone had any advice? Would the oil level being low cause this warning light?

About me & Camaro's:
I love these cars. I've had an 87, 92, and now this 2012... Owned my 92 for 17 years before giving it away to a good mechanic friend a couple years back. Sold a Subaru WRX for this current Camaro, as the Subaru never seemed to fit me like the Camaro's!

Thanks,
Ian
Lifesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
The code should still be there if you did not reset it. I would still get it checked as it will probably come back on.
IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
cajun1le
The Mechanic

Drives: a sports car
Did you fuel the vehicle between the CEL event? Usually fuel quality or evap events reset themselves automatically once the conditions have been satisfied. Just as "IrocJack" suggested, it wouldn't hurt to pull the stored code.
cajun1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
Lifesaver

[QUOTE=jrv2kgt-s;8261547]Did you fuel the vehicle between the CEL event? Usually fuel quality or evap events reset themselves automatically once the conditions have been satisfied. Just as "IrocJack" suggested, it wouldn't hurt to pull the stored code.[/QUOT

The only thing I did after the CEL came on was retighten the gas cap & check the dipstick for oil level. Then, the CEL light went away. I did not fill up with gas between the time when the CEL first illuminated, and when it dissapeared... I did fill up with a full tank of gas just prior to when the CEL first showed up, but drove close to 100miles immediately after that on my way home from work before the light actually came on. The CEL stayed on steady for 2 to 3 starts, and approximately 10 miles driven before it dissapeared.

I've since changed the oil & filter, filled up with two full tanks of gas, and driven around 1,000 miles without the CEL showing back up... I'm really hoping it doesn't become a problem in the future? Just a gas cap malfunction at best?

Sounds like I would have to take my Camaro to a Chevy/GM dealer in order to read that stored code? I know AutoZone said that in order for them to read a code, the CEL has to be on when they are checking for the code...and that they wouldn't be able to tell me what code was thrown, since my CEL went away before I brought it up to them to be read. I don't know that I want to take my Camaro up to the dealer for this, or if they would charge me for reading the stored code?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-...h+obd2+android

Order this thing.

Then download the Torque Pro app from the Play Store.

Pair things up, and you can read your own codes (and a WHOLE lot more...)

All for right under 30 bucks if you have a prime account. And you can use it on all your vehicles, current and future (or until OBD2 protocol is replaced...)
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:25 PM   #6
Lifesaver

Thanks!

I was thinking about something like that after I posted... Going to get myself one, so I can hook it up & check things out. I'll post back to tell what code was thrown sometime afterwords.

This is a really cool site!