Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
kville988
Lurking in my SS

Drives: '14 2SS/RS L99
Another Reduced engine power. Theory

So I left work yesterday morning driving completely normal. I was actually going below the speed limit and my traction and stabilitrak lights came on and I got a reduced engine power message. I pulled over, googled this issue and unplugged the throttle body and let the car sit for 5 minutes. Started right back up no problem. Just now AGAIN the same thing happened. And I was driving normal. I called onstar and I got emission codes of course cuz I have headers. The new code read P2138. Everyone I seen says its gas pedal position but the onstar helpline said its
Electronic fuel control system p2138 ....

So in saying that yesterday before work I stopped by a texaco gas station to get gas. I was below 1/4 tank. That's the only thing different before and after this message. I never go to texaco. I always go to shell but the shell station was BUSY and texaco had nobody. So I thought why not. Do Yall think its bad gas or my VTC? I've had the VTC in for 3 months and had no issue with it so I don't think it's the VTC. The gas station I decided to try out I think may be the culprit but I'm not sure so I want you guys to chime in!

My mods: VTC, SW headers, CAI intake. No tune.
kville988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
It's your vitesse. Throw it in the garbage where it belongs.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Lmao
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
kville988
Lurking in my SS

Quote:
Lol. So what about the fuel system? And texaco? Think it's just coincidence? I've had that VTC for 3 months no issues
Old 05-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
kville988
Lurking in my SS

Anybody else?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #6
tarik1985

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
No problem with the VTC and it's a pretty cool device regardless of other ppls opinions which usually come outta their ass because how can you say something is worthless if you don't have it and you've never tried it .. I've heard you're suppossed to get a code if you install headers and don't get a tune. I'm not sure if it's the same code you got.And I also heard of people getting the same reduced power message with a ported throttle body.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
Vertwheal

Drives: 2015 AGM 1SS/RS/1LE NPP
Quote:
This
CAI intake, ADM scoop, Rotofab washer relocation, Bo White stage II ported TB, Stainless Power 1 7/8 LT, RPI Splash Guards, Black Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts, Tuned by Rick @ Synergy Motorsports - 414/403 on a Mustang dyno
Vertwheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
krisprz2010camaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers
It is probably the vitesse tc causing that believe me... Take it off for a week and see if it happens again and if not put it back on and see if it happens again. I liked the device when I had it, but reduced power randomly isn't something I want. Maybe if they fix it in the future I will get another. Plus not being to use ALL the modes on a V8 sucks, why have options on it if you can't go higher than 5?
Vararam intake(tune model)
Kooks LT headers & cats delete
Corsa ZL1 3" exhaust
RedBarn Racing Tune
CMS Stage 3 Cam
AFR CNC ported heads
MSD Spark plug wires
LNC-2000 Launch controller
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Slp 25% UDP
Katech Tensioner Pulley
Circle D 3600-3700 multi disk Stall
GM 3.91 gears
DDS carbon fiber driveshaft
ZL1 fuel pump & injectors
Flex fuel sensor(91/E85)
https://wheelwell.com/kris-perez
krisprz2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Your car ran fine after a few min because it will regardless if you fixed the issue or not. After a few min, the PCM clears itself and you get a new opportunity to set it off again. If you didn't throw a code for a TB or some related issue, then its a little premature to state its your VTC. I don't know why everybody hates on it, I happen to like having control over my throttle settings, the new vets have basically the same feature. As for the culprit, who knows, clear the codes and try new gas. That and get a tune for your mods.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:56 PM   #10
kville988
Lurking in my SS

LOL. I WOULD LIKE PEOPLE TO THINK INTO THIS WITH AN OPEN MIND. PRETEND I DONT EVEN HAVE THOSE SMALL 3 MODS. I HAVE A CEL FOR EMISSIONS. IM FINE WITH THAT UNTIL I GET A TUNE, ITS MY HEADERS, NO PROBLEM.

BUT THAT REDUCED POWER IS SOMETHING NEW. HAPPENED TO ME 4 TIMES TODAY SINCE I POSTED THIS THREAD, NOW I HAVENT HAD ANY ISSUES WITH ANYTHING UNTIL I WENT TO A GAS STATION I NEVER GO TO. HOWEVER MY BUDDY HAS A CAMARO AND THE SAME DAY SAID HE WENT TO THE SAME STATION AND HE IS RUNNING FINE AND HE HAS A VTC...BUT HE HAS MORE MODS AND TUNED ALSO.

THESE CODES WERE A PROBLEM FOR OWNERS BEFORE THE VTC WAS INTRODUCED. WHEN I DID A GOOGLE SEARCH IT SEEMS LIKE CAMARO OWNERS BEEN HAVING THIS ISSUE SINCE 2012 MAYBE EVEN EARLIER.

I WILL TAKE ADVICE FROM BOTH. I THINK IM GOING TO BURN OUT ALL THAT GAS, TRY SHELL, AND OCTANE BOOSTER HECK WHY NOT. AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. IF IT DOES IT AGAIN I WILL DISCONNECT THE VTC AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. BUT I JUST CANT SEE WHY A MOD WOULD GIVE ME ISSUES NOW WHEN IT DID NOT BEFORE. I WILL KEEP YALL UPDATED TO HOPEFULLY HELP SOMEONE OUT IN THE FUTURE WITH THIS ISSUE.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:56 PM   #11
kville988
Lurking in my SS

AND SOMETIMES MY CAPS LOCK GETS STUCK FOR SOME REASON. IM NOT YELLING AT ANYONE LOL
Old 05-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #12
Vertwheal

Drives: 2015 AGM 1SS/RS/1LE NPP
First your engine, now your keyboard! Things are not looking up for you.
CAI intake, ADM scoop, Rotofab washer relocation, Bo White stage II ported TB, Stainless Power 1 7/8 LT, RPI Splash Guards, Black Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts, Tuned by Rick @ Synergy Motorsports - 414/403 on a Mustang dyno
Vertwheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #13
CrazyRED

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Why ask a question if you don't want to take the advice?

That being said, I had a VTC and used it for a while with no problem, then I started getting codes and backfiring. It was suggested that I reduce the SP settings to 5 and under. I tried that for a few days on 5, 4, and 3 The codes kept tripping and the backfiring continued. I'm not gonna try anything lower than 3 because what would be the point. SO I took the VTC off, the codes and backfiring went away and haven't come back. My thought is that the VTC is adding voltage that may be damaging vehicle systems such as the gas pedal based on the users that have had to replace pedals that completely burned out. So the VTC may be harming things over time? Then again, maybe it's all coincidence and my car just starting working better on its own after I removed the VTC

It's not gonna hurt your car to take the VTC off for a couple weeks. If that doesn't fix anything put it back on and take it to the dealer and see what they say.
CrazyRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #14
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED View Post
.............. My thought is that the VTC is adding voltage that may be damaging vehicle systems such as the gas pedal based on the users that have had to replace pedals that completely burned out......
What users have had to replace their gas pedals?
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote