Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #1065
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Just for anyones info. The members installed pic on the bottom is mine. Yes, I used manual mode on my camera. Yes it has a slight double image overlapped, from the hud reflecting on the inside surface and the outer surface. I knew it wouldn't be exact but I will eventually get the correct glass due to a rock chip already in lower corner.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #1066
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Yes, I used manual mode on my camera. Yes it has a slight double image overlapped, from the hud reflecting on the inside surface and the outer surface. I knew it wouldn't be exact but I will eventually get the correct glass due to a rock chip already in lower corner.
Thanks for this shot! I guess I missed it. Not bad!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #1067
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoolBreeze View Post
For Me, I am VERY SATISFIED with the results of all the work that verious people have done. Also digital cameras do not have a Manuel Mode to take pictures so the have a hard time focusing on another picture. Is it perfect No, except I can live with it and whan I do need to replace my windshiel I will replace it with a HUD windshield. I already have one chip in the present windshield and if I get another I will replace it. For Now I can live with the results I have and for those of you complaining or should I SAY WHINING. READ ONE OF MY PRIOR POSTS WHERE I SAID "IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY, DO NOT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL." Also, those of us who have done this MOD, have done what some have said COULD NOT BE DONE. ALSO THERE WAS NO SOFTWARE UPDATE NEEDED OR REQUIRED, THE CAR WAS ALREADY SET UP FOR THE HUD. PLUS THE STRUCTURE WAS ALREADY SET FOR IT. The only things that had to be added was the nuts for the screws and the screws. So five thiongs to do this, HUD Unit, Bezel, Nuts, Screws, and a Wiring Harness. That is all that was/is needed to make it work, and if you want to make it PERFECT change your Windshield, which at some point I will do, I just do not need to do it today.

Walt B.

Glad you’re happy with it but I stand by my comments and this is a open forum for comments, question, and response. regardless if you like them or not. I think everyone has done a great job.. I just think to do the job right needs the right windshield..

PS: I have a digital camera that has manual mode so not sure where you got your info from on that one but you can buy them all day long. As posted above the picture was taken in manual mode

Last edited by Memphis SS; 11-29-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #1068
WCoolBreeze
2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Garnet Tint
Please read what I wrote and plan to do in the future when I have to replace the windshield. I quote "change your Windshield, which at some point I will do, I just do not need to do it today." As for the digital camera, I stand corrected. I myself still prefer to use the ones that you still need to put film in and after taking the picture have it developed, of course I am a bit old fashioned compared to the younger generations.

Walt B.

Gen6, 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Garnet Tint (with Silver Rally Stripes)

Ordered: 2-12-2016
TPW: 3-7-2016
Built: 3-7-2016
VIN 1G1FH78G0157626
Delivered: 4-26-2016
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #1069
baba booey

Drives: abm 2ss rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Glad you’re happy with it but I stand by my comments and this is a open forum for comments, question, and response. regardless if you like them or not. I think everyone has done a great job.. I just think to do the job right needs the right windshield..

PS: I have a digital camera that has manual mode so not sure where you got your info from on that one but you can buy them all day long. As posted above the picture was taken in manual mode
to say that the that the job is not done right unless you replace the windshield is a little insulting. you are correct it is clearer with a 2011 HUD windshield but it dose NOT make any sense wasting the money to replace a perfectly good windshield there is not one of us that have dune this instal that will not replace to a HUD windshield at some point if you have the money to burn go for it.

Last edited by baba booey; 11-29-2010 at 11:24 PM.
baba booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #1070
patrickt

Drives: still saving!
To end this minor argument and get back to the subject at hand lets look at the bullet points here

Is a new windshield required to make it work and be usable: NO

To make it be viewed optimally (like in a vehicle equipt with it from the factory) is a new windshield required: YES

Ofer has put alot of work into this and had done an outstanding job. Anyone who wants to attempt this can sum it all up in this post, we all have our personal opinions on the matter. You can do this without the windshield to try to save costs or whatever your reason may be.

If it were my car I wouldnt replace it until I needed to and could live with it because it is 1000 times better than not having a hud. Now if it came to the point where I needed to replace it anyway I definatly would use the hud one even if it costs more. No sence in waisting a perfectly good windshield, its not like changing your oil filter because you dont like the brand lol
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #1071
patrickt

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba booey View Post
to say that the that the job is not dune right unless you replace the windshield is a little insulting. you are correct it is clearer with a 2011 HUD windshield but it dose NOT make any sense wasting the money to replace a perfectly good windshield there is not one of us that have dune this instal that will not replace to a HUD windshield at some point if you have the money to burn go for it.

LOL great minds think alike! And at the same time too
Old 11-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #1072
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoolBreeze View Post
Please read what I wrote and plan to do in the future when I have to replace the windshield. I quote "change your Windshield, which at some point I will do, I just do not need to do it today." As for the digital camera, I stand corrected. I myself still prefer to use the ones that you still need to put film in and after taking the picture have it developed, of course I am a bit old fashioned compared to the younger generations.

Walt B.
WOW... Film camaras that is very old school... I have to say I still have a few of them myself me and the wife go up and watch the indy 500 every now and then and you need a fast shutter speed to catch cars going 200+ mph so I was using film because the small digital cameras would not take pics fast enough. So I broke down and bought a SLR digital a few year back and love it. Canon makes a very nice one.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #1073
imsuperdave
superbad IOM

Drives: 07 Suburban Z71, 2010 IOM Camaro SS
I appreciate your ingenuity and desire to make this work, however I believe the Camaro is a true, modern muscle car and personally don't want HUD, back up sensors and all this other crap engineers have to come up with to justify their 6 figure paycheck, on my soon-to-be-a classic Gen 5. Just my opinion, hope it works out for you........
imsuperdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #1074
Memphis SS

Quote:
to say that the that the job is not dune right unless you replace the windshield is a little insulting. you are correct it is clearer with a 2011 HUD windshield but it dose NOT make any sense wasting the money to replace a perfectly good windshield there is not one of us that have dune this instal that will not replace to a HUD windshield at some point if you have the money to burn go for it.
First check your spelling how about "done right!!"

Not trying to insult anyone as I have said all along Very nice Job and thanks for all the info.. Fact is to really make it a finished install I would replace the windshield to get rid of the double imagining.. If you spend that kind of time taking the dash out and then spend all the money for the HUD unit why stop short of a really nice install?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #1075
baba booey

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
To end this minor argument and get back to the subject at hand lets look at the bullet points here

Is a new windshield required to make it work and be usable: NO

To make it be viewed optimally (like in a vehicle equipt with it from the factory) is a new windshield required: YES

Ofer has put alot of work into this and had done an outstanding job. Anyone who wants to attempt this can sum it all up in this post, we all have our personal opinions on the matter. You can do this without the windshield to try to save costs or whatever your reason may be.

If it were my car I wouldnt replace it until I needed to and could live with it because it is 1000 times better than not having a hud. Now if it came to the point where I needed to replace it anyway I definatly would use the hud one even if it costs more. No sence in waisting a perfectly good windshield, its not like changing your oil filter because you dont like the brand lol
Hi Patrick
Any new news on the bezel ?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #1076
patrickt

Quote:
Hi Patrick
Any new news on the bezel ?
Actually there is a little. GM told me Friday that there is some stock in transit to them from the manufacturer, so it should not be long. Lets see if it shows up and how many lol. I got about 40 on order
Old 11-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #1077
baba booey

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Actually there is a little. GM told me Friday that there is some stock in transit to them from the manufacturer, so it should not be long. Lets see if it shows up and how many lol. I got about 40 on order
Do you have a price for the 2011 HUD windshield ?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:56 AM   #1078
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
First check your spelling how about "done right!!"

Not trying to insult anyone as I have said all along Very nice Job and thanks for all the info.. Fact is to really make it a finished install I would replace the windshield to get rid of the double imagining.. If you spend that kind of time taking the dash out and then spend all the money for the HUD unit why stop short of a really nice install?
Memfist could you lay off the BS, we got it you dont think its right unless you replace everything.... OK!

Jesus H Christ!

To the OP good job! I dont see why GM insist on lumping certain options together. Why cant they just offer a car and you can pick what you want on it or buy certain trim levels. Not all of us want to buy a heavily optioned car just to get one feature.
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote