Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 02-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
fadal

Drives: LT RS V6 2010
What check before buy

Hi, I'm Fabio.
I Live in Italy and I want to buy a used Camaro 2010.

I have question for the experts, what do I have to check before buy the car?

Are there any things to check? Like engine, suspensions or others that are used to be damaged?

Thanks a lot to all.
fadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
The 2010-2013 were simply amazing vehicles in every aspect. I would find a local mechanic you trust and pay them to inspect the vehicle, especially with the V6s as they did not ship with Catch Cans and were prone to valve deposits that can shorten the life span.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
deano1989

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Here's a quick checklist I've used in the past when looking at buying a new vehicle:

-Check the inside and outside of the car and take note of any cosmetic damage you might see.
-Check the tread on the tires.
-When you turn the ignition on, check to make sure all the headlights and taillights work (turn signals, brights, etc.)
-Make sure there aren't any check engine lights coming on.
-When test driving the vehicle listen for any noises that may sound unusual.
-Open the hood and check out the engine to check the condition it is in.
-Always ask for the car fax (I'm not sure if you can get that being in Italy)

Basically inspect the vehicle a full 360 degrees and don't hesitate to ask questions.
deano1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #4
Flyguy

Drives: 2002 Jeep Wrangler
I too am curious what others have to say about this. I am actually taking possession of a used 2010 supercharged SS out of state soon. As I am out of state a known mechanic is not possible. Great list of items Deano thank you. Car has a clean car fax I am curious if there are specific known to fail items on the 2010 Ss's that would have a precursor indicators that I can check prior to assuming ownership.
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
As I am out of state a known mechanic is not possible.
Very much is possible. There are several due diligence checks from hooking up with a local Camaro Club sponsor where the vehicle is located to flying your mechanic out to inspect the vehicle with you on a Saturday.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #6
Flyguy

Drives: 2002 Jeep Wrangler
Local club isn't exactly a "known person" I might as well go to the mall or any public area (like a forum) to ask people about their cars. I honestly don't know any mechanics on that personal of level to treat them to a mini vacation to buy a car. Not sure if that was an attempt to flame but let's keep this discussion on topic like "Areas of vehicle known to fail". Not my access to a trained professional because that is not what is not the question being discussed.
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Aside from the basics, I think there are differences between models that can make it difficult when looking. What are you looking for in a Camaro? What type of performance are you expecting? What are you trying to accomplish by buying a Camaro? I'm sure cost will be expensive since it will be an imported vehicle, so be honest with yourself and get the best bang for the buck (or Euro in your case).

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
Local club isn't exactly a "known person" I might as well go to the mall or any public area (like a forum) to ask people about their cars. I honestly don't know any mechanics on that personal of level to treat them to a mini vacation to buy a car. Not sure if that was an attempt to flame but let's keep this discussion on topic like "Areas of vehicle known to fail". Not my access to a trained professional because that is not what is not the question being discussed.
All the more reason to build a network, wasn't a flame at all and you'll know if you're on the receiving end of one of my rare roasts . There are stellar performance sponsors a part of Camaro5 (and many legitimate Camaro club sponsors) with untouchable reputations and decades of proven reliability. If you believe in some aspect that some hack mechanic found in a strip mall has the same weight as someone like JDP Motorsports, then your hunt to find a reputable mechanic to look over your potential purchase will be a long one.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
2010 had a few things. Obviously no engine lights. Check to see if any mods have been done. Hard to tell if they have been removed etc.

My 2010 was super reliable. The documented issues I know of are as follows.

Llt motor was prone to timing chain stretch.

Dash would crack near airbag on passenger side.

I also had

Evap can on gas tank go
Catylitic converter went
Door window seal rip off

But that's really it. Basic other stuff to check for as you would any other car. Overall I was very pleased with the performance of my 2010. If you find one with a catch can on it, at least you know the previous owner gave a crap about it.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #10
JLGO

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS convertible L99
Turn car on, remove oil dipstick and check for white smoke. If smokes comes out stay away. Check your suspension by taking turns, bumps, check the tires by looking for uneven wear, and stopping the car quickly. Look at the brake rotors for any discoloration. Look at the body for any uneven surfaces. Also look to see if there are any light scratches on the paint. If there no light scratches most likely the car was painted due to something. Use the sense of smell to distinguish any od smell in the vehicle. Open the trunk and remove the carpet to see if there were any water damage. Look under the car to see if there is any leaks. If there is no issues then you good to go, I would not worry about the interior unless there is excess wear and tear and smells funny.
JLGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #11
fadal

Sorry all, if I reply your answers only now.

I took the car and yesterday I received my registration. I'll take the car Monday or Tuesday.
The car had only a problem, the engine light.

Now I changed the ignition coil and now all it's right.

Suddenly after I'll get the car I'll post some pictures
Old 05-27-2017, 04:34 AM   #12
fadal

This is my car

Old 06-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #13
Rubbershredder

Drives: 13 2ss
Nice color
Rubbershredder is offline   Reply With Quote