Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #71
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
First I don't need research on the autobahn. I lived in Munich....but thanks.

Second, yes you are correct with regards to neighborhoods and my statement was too broad. I should have made my statement a little more clear. Speed limits on highways are nothing more than revenue generators.

If LEO's are truly trying to deter speeding, then they would be in plain sight with their lights turned on. Tell me, when you see an officer like described, what do you do? You slow down and it doesn't matter if you are going the speed limit or not. You slow down.

But no they don't do that because again they are trying to generate revenue. Hence the "super speeder" "law" in GA. So if I'm going 84 I'm not a "super speeder" but that 1 more mph makes all the difference.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/faqs/index.aspx?faqcategoryid=34

Again nothing more than a revenue generator. And, again, don't misunderstand, I do understand those are the laws and if I break them I pay the fine and move on. I'm accountable for my actions.
So living in Munich, you should know not to make such broad statements. You know it isn't safe simply because the speeds are higher..........right? Assuming you know that FIRST HAND.

This thread wasn't about getting a super speeder levy nor was it about war in Iraq being about the money.

It was simply "I got caught but shouldn't have to pay because the officer wasn't in plain sight and on private property".

That spun into a whole bunch of silliness. Based on your last comment, I would say we are pretty much in agreement.

But you again had to say speed limits are nothing more than revenue generators and that is blatantly incorrect.

Which of the following are for your and MY safety on the roads:

Speed limits
Stop signs
No passing zones
No turn

These are for traffic control and regulation done for safety and simply convenience.

If you or I just did what we judged to be safe, it would be bedlam and mayhem on the roads.

ANNNNND everyone on this site, because we own or like Camaros is a better driver (in our minds) than Mario Andretti.

So lets just add it's ok to drive drunk or impaired if you are on an empty street and in your judgment couldn't harm anyone. Is that a revenue generator? Would likely cost you the same as a 100 tickets.

Speed always seems to be the discussion. No one argues Stop signs......just speed limits because we are all in a hurry.

You know why you shouldn't blow through a stop sign and you know why it's there. Let's just accept that speed limits are the same thing, which they are.

Yes it can be abused. That is a different thread. But to turn the fact that it can an is abused into a discussion that they aren't necessary for safe and controlled traffic flow is not correct.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #72
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
aaaand that seems like a good place to end this discussion

thread closed
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Closed Thread