Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #421
JAZ

Drives: 86 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
JAZ, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is exactly WHAT, here? Are you an emissary from the UN, or the Foreign Minister from some Third-World crackpot dictatorship?

Your 34 posts to date all include Ford/Mustang remarks, and you arrived here in time to trumpet the all-new-and-finally-improved '15 Mustang, a not-ready-for-prime-time car with some very important data still missing...like Curb Weights.

As to what others think of comments made here, let them man-up and call a spade a shovel HERE. Instead of acting like the North Korean shrimp, flappin' gums from afar...

Anything else on your mind, besides Ford/Mustang, for this non-General Section? Feel free to share...

Lowdown, I am not carrying anyone else's water. I am simply an enthusiast who grew up with pony and muscle car madness during the 60s and I still enjoy these cars....all brands.....although my personal preference and experience is with Mustangs. I have tried to be respectful to Camaro fans on this forum, and I have appreciated the comments by those that found the information I brought to the forum as useful.

Of particular interest to me is listening to arguments by respectful and mature people about the strengths and weaknesses of the various ponies. I learn from other's opinions, as long as they are open and honest, and I dislike seeing conversations being cut off by rudeness or censorship.

I don't know much about The Pill, but I believe he is like me but with a lot more technical and racing knowledge. I would enjoy seeing the discussion between The Pill and others on Camaro6, but since he was censored from this forum, that cannot happen here. I would encourage a conversation about his views continue on the Mustang6G website, where all legitimate opinions are respected.
JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #422
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ View Post
Lowdown, I am not carrying anyone else's water. I am simply an enthusiast who grew up with pony and muscle car madness during the 60s and I still enjoy these cars....all brands.....although my personal preference and experience is with Mustangs. I have tried to be respectful to Camaro fans on this forum, and I have appreciated the comments by those that found the information I brought to the forum as useful.

Of particular interest to me is listening to arguments by respectful and mature people about the strengths and weaknesses of the various ponies. I learn from other's opinions, as long as they are open and honest, and I dislike seeing conversations being cut off by rudeness or censorship.

I don't know much about The Pill, but I believe he is like me but with a lot more technical and racing knowledge. I would enjoy seeing the discussion between The Pill and others on Camaro6, but since he was censored from this forum, that cannot happen here. I would encourage a conversation about his views continue on the Mustang6G website, where all legitimate opinions are respected.

You lost being respectable the moment you brought the pill's spew into the C5 forum. Why do you think he's not allowed here?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #423
EnlighteningYou

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
the more laps you run, the further the gt falls behind. Any car can be a one lap wonder. Gt brake fade starts to kill lap times the more u run. Not so in the ZL1. this is fact, not opinion.
I highly doubt ANY CAR can be a one hit wonder on a road track. Also I've only read one article that mentioned the GT500 brake fade. You're comment about "immeasurably slower on a road course" has no valid base. Also you got your 1/4 mile speed difference wrong between the two cars.

Also the ZL1 manual states that if you're using the car for competition you should change the brake fluid. I think anyone who tracks their car already does stuff like that in preparation.
Sometimes you get too caught up on what magazines say, if you talk to a road racer in real life you'll definitely learn a few things.
EnlighteningYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #424
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Sad to see the Pil even being discussed here second hand. You cannot have a rationale conversation with him/her. Data and fact mean nothing from an engineering standpoint and I've even tried to discuss other topics with him/her in the past that were not Z/28 related.

I've gone to the Mustang sites and he only has one point to make and that is what class the Z/28 can or cannot be raced in. Frankly I couldn't care less. It's not how I view the car. Yes, I think someone from the Camaro team made some comments about it being a factory race car or something, but frankly it is nothing more than the ultimate Camaro for track days in my view of the car. If you wanted to race in a sanctioned series then I'm guessing you'd have a bit of work to do to be competitive with any Camaro. Does Ford offer out off the showroom rules ready cars? I guess so, but again I couldn't care less. That isn't something that interests me. So the only discussion point the Pill continues to make is a moot discussion for me. If you take a Z/28 to the track it will likely whip the crap out of any car Ford offers. Rules sanctioning body is a different matter.

I'm frankly not sure how this thread on the $75,000 price point got to be a discussion of the Pill and race rules for sanctioning bodies. Out of control, just my opinion.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #425
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
I bought a brand new, fully optioned, 1985, t-topped, orange/red Camaro logo seats, three-pedal, no slash Z28. I also toured the factory in Van Nuys. I didn’t have the car long, because I turned it into a convertible--- while driving it. I ducked. The braided steel freeway divider fence support cable was stopped by the B-pillar, or I would have also punched through to the traffic traveling in the other direction, and been pin-balled around a bit. As it were, I walked away with only a speck of t-top glass in my finger, acquired when I brushed off the shower of glass residing on the top of my head. But here’s my point:

As a car guy, what took me so long to get back into the Camaro?

Simply stated, I waited until they put the / back in the Z/28 name. I waited for a car that represented the absolute best performing street-legal Camaro that Chevrolet engineers and management could reasonably build from the parts at hand.

I learn something from the each post here, whether positive or negative. I appreciate all posts. Well, almost all. But I wish some posters could also express their concerns, but still share in the joy of what the car can do in relation to the MSRP. Some have, but others peg the negativity needle without a shred of happiness for those of us who have been waiting, like me, a very long time for this car to be built.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #426
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I think this thread had definitely jumped the shark. I knew this would happen, there are just too many people that had unrealistic opinions, first on what a 5th gen Z/28 should be and then how much it should cost. I knew a lot of people were going to be disappointed in one or the other. No wonder this has turned into such a mess.
Point 1. The Z/28 is back
Point 2. Not everyone is happy about it.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #427
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Sad to see the Pil even being discussed here second hand. You cannot have a rationale conversation with him/her. Data and fact mean nothing from an engineering standpoint and I've even tried to discuss other topics with him/her in the past that were not Z/28 related.

I've gone to the Mustang sites and he only has one point to make and that is what class the Z/28 can or cannot be raced in. Frankly I couldn't care less. It's not how I view the car. Yes, I think someone from the Camaro team made some comments about it being a factory race car or something, but frankly it is nothing more than the ultimate Camaro for track days in my view of the car. If you wanted to race in a sanctioned series then I'm guessing you'd have a bit of work to do to be competitive with any Camaro. Does Ford offer out off the showroom rules ready cars? I guess so, but again I couldn't care less. That isn't something that interests me. So the only discussion point the Pill continues to make is a moot discussion for me. If you take a Z/28 to the track it will likely whip the crap out of any car Ford offers. Rules sanctioning body is a different matter.

I'm frankly not sure how this thread on the $75,000 price point got to be a discussion of the Pill and race rules for sanctioning bodies. Out of control, just my opinion.
agree completely. The sanctioning issue is a completely moot point for just about everyone I know who has been waiting for the Z/28. The only person who seems to want to make a argument out of it is a guy who is no longer welcome on this site for obvious reason. So, lets put the pill back in its bottle and move on.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #428
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
It really doesn't matter what direction GM would have taken with this car. Someone would still have a problem with it. I understand what this Pill fellow is saying in regard to the car missing the boat if the intension was to be a track car, but I really think the intention was for some extremely rich dude to be able play against the clock during open track events which it will do just fine. The marketing comes in when they say it is picking up where the 69 left off or that it is bred out of the 69. Anybody with any kind of brains over Fanboyism knows that's just good marketing. Other than the looks, I have no desire to own one over a ZL1 after seeing this cost. The really funny thing is that if the looks is all you're into, then grab a 2014 non rs package 1LE. They look just as good at just about half the cost. Put Z/28 stickers on too if it will make you feel better. If you got the money and want to buy a Z/28 I say go for it and enjoy it. I'm sure GM will sell everyone the build.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #429
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Diablo View Post
Like most I thought GM would price this sensibly. Targeting the consumers who are shopping that sweet spot of 45-$65,000 performance cars. But $75,000 before the gas guzzler and destination charge and without AC/Stereo is excessive. I can afford it but see no value in the purchase. The 7.0L is old news after 9 years. If I want a dedicated track car it's not going to be a 3,837lb whale (probably 3,900 with a/c and speakers). Something tells me I'm going to see grey hair behind the wheel if I even see one on the road.
$75K includes destination and gas guzzler tax.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #430
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
It very well could be. That would be his reason to come in...divide and conquer.

Ever heard of Pandora's Box?
I did but I don't care what happened in the past. That user had very good points and that's all I'm taking from it.
Novie LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #431
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Drives: GM Toyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
It really doesn't matter what direction GM would have taken with this car. Someone would still have a problem with it. I understand what this Pill fellow is saying in regard to the car missing the boat if the intension was to be a track car, but I really think the intention was for some extremely rich dude to be able play against the clock during open track events which it will do just fine. The marketing comes in when they say it is picking up where the 69 left off or that it is bred out of the 69. Anybody with any kind of brains over Fanboyism knows that's just good marketing. Other than the looks, I have no desire to own one over a ZL1 after seeing this cost. The really funny thing is that if the looks is all you're into, then grab a 2014 non rs package 1LE. They look just as good at just about half the cost. Put Z/28 stickers on too if it will make you feel better. If you got the money and want to buy a Z/28 I say go for it and enjoy it. I'm sure GM will sell everyone the build.

Agree with this post above. There are many levels of Camaro to own, everyone can't afford each level. GM will sell each Z/28 they produce, just like they did with the COPO. This thread is unreal in how it's progressed. If it's too much, you don't have to buy it. Just get a different Camaro. Go for the 2014 1LE as mentioned above. It's a sharp car, and similar in style to the Z/28. I agree also, that no matter what direction GM would have taken, some would have a problem with it. I am just glad they are back with the Z/28, and look forward to seeing what it will do in 2014 at the track
Old 01-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #432
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
I did but I don't care what happened in the past. That user had very good points and that's all I'm taking from it.
It's not the past...it's who he is. You'll have to find out for yourself.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #433
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
just wondering if we would of have 434 comments, if gm would have said it's price was 60k car???
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #434
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
It's not the past...it's who he is. You'll have to find out for yourself.
Like I said, I don't know who he or she is, nor do I care about the past.