Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
L99 Mission for the day.

Today I want all L99 owners reading today to do this.

Go put your car in M. Turn of traction control. Now take foot of brake and stomp the gas. Report back if your rear end broke loose and post picture of burnout.

NO POWER BRAKING or BRAKE STANDS. Think about it, a 400HP, 410Trq car should be able to break them loose doing that and leave a mark on the road.

My familys 79 TA would do that all day long and it had nowhere near the HP and TRQ todays Camaro has and we had the WS Packgage and the Olds 403 motor. Go look at the specs of that TA. This car should be killing that car in performance. Mine is not. Lets see what yours does.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
DanD

Drives: 6 camaros
but prob. not new designed tires and 275 wide and VERY tall... that makes it hard to spin, not to mention the computer doesn't want it to with the torque management. That may be your only issue... maybe its just hitting that or set way to low and almost going into a limp/fuel/timing mode. I know for a fact it limits those when it hits any torque management limit.
As well as I believe the throttle blade is closed in certain conditions. I set all mine off and made a big difference (even stock)
1968 383 Camaro
1968 327 Camaro Convertible
1967 RS 327
1967 Pro-Tour LS3 in progress
DanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanD View Post
but prob. not new designed tires and 275 wide and VERY tall... that makes it hard to spin, not to mention the computer doesn't want it to with the torque management. That may be your only issue... maybe its just hitting that or set way to low and almost going into a limp/fuel/timing mode. I know for a fact it limits those when it hits any torque management limit.
As well as I believe the throttle blade is closed in certain conditions. I set all mine off and made a big difference (even stock)
What do you set all off? And how did you do it.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yeah, its going to be difficult with new 275 series summer tires, tons of torque management, and warm temps.

This winter when its 40 degrees outside it will be easy to spin the tires.
1. Car makes more hp in cold air
2. Summer tires don't hook up very well on cold pavement. Also the tire compound is harder in cold weather.

But right now in S. Florida summer conditions if I mash the gas (
M mode - TC off), I get just a tiiny bit (I mean a tiny bit) of wheel spin and the car just takes off.

What's needed is a tranny tune (reduce torque management or no torque management), and cooler temps, and you'll be wishing you could hook up.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
bad2000z

Drives: 2015 Audi S6
Coming from a drag racing background, I love a car that dead hooks on the street! This thread cracks me up. Get a tune! Reducing torque management will change your hooking problem lol.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
DanD

Drives: 6 camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
What do you set all off? And how did you do it.
its in the tranny and ecm tune... need a tuner to do so.. I know.. shouldn't have to, but maybe gm is/was trying to slip this by some of us. (as in low performance)
1968 383 Camaro
1968 327 Camaro Convertible
1967 RS 327
1967 Pro-Tour LS3 in progress
DanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
CFPC_2010
VIN #3026 IOM/IO

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Get it Tuned

Scott,

4000 lbs with good weight transfer plus large tires and torque management...it's not a 1979 car - it won't spin. Trust me on this. If you want to see what the L99 can do - get it dyno tuned and make sure they work on the torque management and tranny shifting. I gained over 100 ft-lbs off idle due only to torque management delete. Even with this it won't roast them unless I bring it up on the converter - GM did a good job making it stick. BTW my car is a 12-second car now with the tune, CAI, and axle-back exhaust.

Good luck with the car
Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
a couple of people here have said get a tune.

If you mean have GM reflash or retune then fine. But the objective is to fix the problem without voiding any part of the warranty.

So lets keep the criticism consructive please.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Ok scott. I did it and my tires break loose. It is 75 degrees and about the same in humidity. I dont smoke them but I get a nice long chirp. Everything is stock on my car.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
Tillman Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaros
Send a message via AIM to Tillman Speed
This is a performance and powertrain forum. Aftermarket calibration is completely valid and relevant and very much constructive. This happens with EVERY car, fellas. It takes about 3-6 months before the "oh my god my warranty!" factor starts to crawl off and people realize that modifying your car isn't armageddon. See Magnuson-Moss warranty act: http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_LemonMM2.html

Yes the car is probably a little slow from the factory. I'm sure torque management has 80% to do with it, break-in mileage has 10% to do with it, and over-assumption probably takes up the last 10%.

This car in an auto cant really be expected to roast the tires with as much weight as it's putting out as well as the conservative GM calibration. Sounds like a certain 6.1L competitor I know of, eh?

I'm in no way saying that an aftermarket tune should be the immediate fix in this situation. Give it some mileage, check back with the dealer (you know they'll have a TSB or two with a nice PCM update slipped in there under the radar). If at that time, you're still not happy with the performance, go throw it on the rollers with a nice CAI and watch the difference with a custom tune!

And hopefully by then when someone mods their car, everyone won't be all in slow motion like "NOOOOOOOOOOO! DOOONTTT DOOOO ITTTT!!!!!" That's not attacking anyone in general. I noticed it in MANY threads on this forum.

It's not as big of a deal as we all would assume. I've been delivered multiple cars right from the dealership in their respective states to us for supercharger installs, and shipped to their owner freshly charged-n-tuned. See Tillman Speed 2009 Mustang GT Whipple Supercharger / Kooks Longtube Header / Hurst Shifter / Gauges / Clutch&Flywheel project we're working on right now. Car has 238 miles.

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
Tillman Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I don't think anyone's saying don't do it, however, I can feel the frustration in that it seems like GM may have watered the L99-cars down a little. Given, the vehicle's only been out for a few months, and there could be some TSBs and reflashes GM might come out with, but I'm another for thinking this is frustrating. I, personally, don't think it should have to come down to a whole lotta' TM to protect the drivetrain. We've been told the rear end on these is good for more than 600+ horsepower and this is the same tranny as is in the 'Vette, so it should be pretty stout to start with. No one is saying the aftermarket doesn't deserve it's place here; it's not about that at all. If a car has 400 horse, it should punish the tires unless it's AWD or 5000 lbs.; neither of these is Camaro.

That's how we're going to keep this constructive...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillman Speed View Post
people realize that modifying your car isn't armageddon. See Magnuson-Moss warranty act:
True, but if your dealer says they are voiding your warranty for whatever reason regardless, then you are the one who has to prove that the modification did not cause the problem. That means you getting a lawyer and spending money. It's all on you the car owner.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Bottom line is some of the L99's are not performing as advertised. GM should provide a reflash to the computer(this is the problem, the tune) free of charge to the buyer to get the performance advertised.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Bottom line is some of the L99's are not performing as advertised. GM should provide a reflash to the computer(this is the problem, the tune) free of charge to the buyer to get the performance advertised.
As long as the powertrain (i.e. transmission) is up to this, I completely agree; which is kinda' why I wonder why they'd make the tune as safe as it seems to be. I honestly don't know if that's true or not but from the accounts I'm reading, that seems to be the case with many of the L99s. If it takes a reflash for the car to run like it has 400 horse', then that's cool; it's another if it voids the warranty. I'm not sure how the dealer would be able to determine if the TM's been manipulated (assuming reflashing the TM back into the PCM is done before the car goes to the dealer) but I'm sure they have limited data logging from the car to show the parameters it was under when the failure happened.

I guess I'm just saying I agree that it shouldn't take so much effort to have a 400 horse' car run like a 400 horse' car should. I know exactly how bad TM can hurt the car's performance (my car would go bonkers after the TC install if the TM wasn't removed). Hopefully there's something positive that comes out of this for the L99 guys

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote