Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #15
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
OP, there is some good advice in here, and I apologize for some rude comments... Those of you that had posts disappear I apologize... that was collateral damage.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #16
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I really will never understand the people that worry about driving an SS in the snow because it's snow. I get the whole road-salt thing. It's the 'no good in snow' thing I don't get. ABS, TC, stabilitrac, heavy car. I don't understand the problem.

Some people at work look at me like I'm a nut for driving my SS in the snow. "You'll get stranded". No, I won't even get stuck. And later, they are stuck in the same parking lot with their FWD cars. Uphill downhill, slow traffic, bumper to bumper on hardpacked roads...I haven't gotten stuck.

I'm just shy of 30K miles right now. Daily Driver.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #17
CCS71
LFX to LT1

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty 2SS M6
It seems the bulk of DD'ers live in the southern states. When you buy the SS, keep in mind that you'll need to set aside an extra chunk of change for winter tires or, quite possibly, a winter beater. THIS IS NOT AN OPTION, IT IS A NECESSITY! The posters to this thread have definitely discouraged attempting to squeak by on the stock PZeros.
CCS71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #18
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I just got my SS 3 months ago, and most likely won't drive it in the snow... But in the past i've had rear-wheel drive cars that I did drive all winter. Try a 1969 Road Runner in the snow!
Put on good snow tires (I had to have studded snows on all four corners), and tread lightly on the throttle. Too much gas and you'll be sideways or in the ditch. Drive like your trunk is loaded with Nitro and you'll be fine :-)
Old 06-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #19
anotherreject

Drives: no camaro
Thanks for the replies everybody, i would be coming from a tacoma that gets about 19 mpg highway so the gas miles is an upgrade
anotherreject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #20
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
only have 4700 on my 2011, no issues and I drive her to work 6 days a week, I live real close to work

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #21
anotherreject

Drives: no camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
only have 4700 on my 2011, no issues and I drive her to work 6 days a week, I live real close to work
I used to live a few miles from work, i miss the short commute but sometimes the long drive with some good music playing helps me unwind before getting home.
anotherreject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #22
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I really will never understand the people that worry about driving an SS in the snow because it's snow. I get the whole road-salt thing. It's the 'no good in snow' thing I don't get. ABS, TC, stabilitrac, heavy car. I don't understand the problem.

Some people at work look at me like I'm a nut for driving my SS in the snow. "You'll get stranded". No, I won't even get stuck. And later, they are stuck in the same parking lot with their FWD cars. Uphill downhill, slow traffic, bumper to bumper on hardpacked roads...I haven't gotten stuck.

I'm just shy of 30K miles right now. Daily Driver.
I had a small storm within the first few days of getting mine this past March, same BS comments and of course I experienced no issues in my 21 mile commute. Snow didn't even factor into the buying decision, it shouldn't. If there's too much snow to drive in there's too much snow. Oh well. I refuse to own a 4wd/AWD vehicle right now, they're just not economical and the performance models are all overpriced (or at least much more than I'm willing to spend).

One reason I knew I was getting the V6 is my situation of 42 miles commuting PLUS driving the vehicle for work. So far the gas mileage hasn't been a factor on my wallet.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #23
SabotAndHeat

Drives: 2010 Camaro
2010 SS Manual.

Daily Driver.

76,000+ miles.

50 miles round trip to and from work + normal driving = 3/4's of a tank a gas used a week.

No problems at all.
SabotAndHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #24
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
Im looking at getting a new ss 5th gen. I would be daily driving the car, about 80 miles a day.

How are these cars holding up with high miles? Not Sure, only at 8k so far.

I would be getting a ss, which transmission is holding up best to high miles? I dont care if i have auto or manual. I would assume if you treat your man tranny well, it will last forever.

Does the 6.2 require premium gas? Yes, 91 minimum

Is anybody out of warranty and needed major repairs?Nope.

I live in a area that sees snow, obviously i wont be driving the camaro in anykind of accumulated snow but it might see some early and late season flurries, what all season tires have people had experience with? I drove my V6 in the snow for a month, ahd no other choice. I did not use winter tires, and the Pirelli's sucked. Whatever you do, all season is not the way to go. Get Summer tires and Winter tires.

Still on winter weather, i live where roads are treated with a ridiculous amount of road salt and ice chemicals, has anybody applied any corrosion or rust treatment to the frame and under carriage? Diamond Kote Electronic corrosion resistance system. +1 for sure, proven and tested personally.

My last gm was a pontiac g6 with a sunroof, the sunroof leaked like a sumbish, every rain storm i had a lake on the passenger floor, do the camaro sunroofs leak?No leaks so far, not even under a pressure washer.

My car will remain stock except for a catback or axel back exhaust so im not worried about any mods.I think you should be fine, as long as you don't tune it, and it's reversible.

Has anybody here had a v6 then upgraded to a ss? How much did your car insurance jump? I am a 29 year old male with zero accidents and zero tickets for comparison. I was 18 when I got my 2LT RS, payed 590/month for insurance. Then I had a truck for a while, and have recently went to a 2SS RS loaded. Insurance for me now is 400/mo, but thats because I am gaining experience, not because of the car.

Thanks for your answers, hopefully soon ill be sharing pics of my new car.

Thank our veterans for peace today, Support our troops for peace tomorrow. RIP Dad, 1962-2012 SYOTOS
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #25
Guelphguy

Drives: 2013 - 2SS Vert
Snow....pffft! I live in Canada, an hour west of Toronto, same thing, people think I am nuts for driving a Camaro....oh, get this and a 2SS/Vert...in the winter. I went on Kijiji and bought a set of 20" blizzaks used for one season for $500 and then $300 for a factory set of 20" rims that had some curb rash. Still for $800, I am now still lookin' sexy all winter long!! lol....
Right from new, I also had the car Krown - rustproofed.
I have drove an old Monte Carlo SS, a Chrysler 300C all winter long, and cruise right by Minivans in the ditch because they don't have the right tires, yet the minivan driver thinks I am nuts!
Keep the car clean, rust-proof it and run dedicated winters and you are golden!
Oh and my GF that lives with me has a Tacoma and we take the SS to save on fuel costs! lol....
If your commute is mostly highway and you can set the cruise, I really don't think you save a pile with the V6 over the V8...it's the city and stop and go that will make the difference.
Lastly on insurance....I just traded in a 2003 BMW 5-series M-sport for the Camaro 2SS/RS and my insurance went down $30/month!! lol..
Guelphguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #26
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Mine was a daily driver for two years before I retired...but not in the winter!!!! My round trip was 110 miles. I got an automatic because of traffic jams, and also, because there are plenty of stories about grinding 2nd gear and sticky clutches. In my experience, GM automatic transmissions are absolutely bullet proof. On other cars and trucks, I have routinely gone close to 200K without any transmission service at all.

You cannot use P-Zeros in the winter!!!

The car does not like regular gas, although supposedly it is safe to use.

If I were to get a Camaro as a DD 12 months out of the year, I would stick with a non-RS six cylinder.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #27
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
2013 2ss rs manual ls3. Bought brand spanking new 2 months ago (im in canton ohio for work for a year), dd for me no issues. 6100 miles thus far and getting ready for long tubes, cold air intake, tune and exhaust. Yes i know about great lake winters but will add winter tires or pick up the f250 diesel (4x4) from texas if it gets that bad (doubtful). Oh and my sunroof does not leak (a must have).
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #28
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Look at this pic a bit after i got it.
Attached Images

mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote