Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 12-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
what to expect?

I have never bought a bran new car before and I'm just wondering what to expect when I get my new Camaro (asides from the new car smell) from a few of you who have. I'm just looking for advice on things like:

-should I order the factory rust-proofing or get it done elsewhere?
-do I buy the extended warranty?
-are there any gimmicks salesmen will try to rope me into?

etc, etc, etc...

Thanks in advance.
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
This is just my personal opinion on these few topics...can't really think of any others at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post

I didn't think they still have that, being as how each vehicle is rust-proofed from the factory. In fact, there is a bit in the driver's manual - or some such document, where GM claims that no additional rust-proofing is needed, nor is it reccomended.

This is a matter of personal preference. Do you think you're gonna need it?

Quite possibly, it depends on the salesmen, and what gimmicks may be 'available' for the Camaro.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
You didn't ask about pricing, but might as well cover it. If you buy right away, don't expect much "wiggle" room with respect to the cost. Wait a while and you'll be able to get them below sticker and maybe even a rebate.

Rustproofing. No.

Extended warranty. Depends on how long you plan to keep it. If longer than GM's warranty, then probably yes. With the complexity of today's cars, you could cover the cost of the warranty with one repair.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:03 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I never bought a new car either, don't remember my parents doing it either (i'm only 22). But anything that I have heard is that most of what you are concerned about is a money grab. As far as warranties go, its hard to say. If you plan on keeping it (in stock form) for a long time, maybe. Reliability is tricky. There is always a chance that you get a lemon. Or you could have something that will run beautifully in 40 years without problems. And you never know what it will be until it happens
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 AM   #5
Good53X

Drives: 1988Nissan Pulsar (meh,beater)
The warranty is an insurance plan. You'll have factory warranties for more common ****ups - Usually powertrain is 60,000km, 5 years and that will cover everything in the engine/transmission except for a clutch to the best of my knowledge... shitty head gasket or bad manifolds and they'll be covered. If you're worried about trim damage... don't f*** with your trim.

Convertible top? High end stereo system that you might blow out? Are those things worth the trouble?

I work in a dealership, and it is retarted how much people get away with putting on Warranty repairs. However, it's amazing how much warranty's don't cover.

When you get a prepaid maintenance plan, make sure that you're getting full maintenance. A lot of Ford prepaid maintenance isn't everything that Ford recommends, it is a slightly different maintenance schedule.

When I get mine I'm going to be an anal customer. I plan on test driving the camaro at every GM dealership, checking out their service departments and reading reviews before taking the plunge. Then I'm going to sit down and talk about exactly what will and won't be covered before I decide to get any extended warranty garbage... I don't think I'll be taking it.
Good53X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Here's my dealership advice:
1. Do your homework before you go in. Find out if the dealer is doing markups, sticking to MSRP, or allowing negotiations. Go on Edmunds.com and find out the invoice and true market value of the car and the options you want. With just a little research you'll probably end up knowing more than the salesman. The more you know, the more power you have over him, which brings me to...
2. Take control of the meeting. Don't let the salesman show you around. Take him to the car you want, tell him what you want. Dictate everything.
3. If you can negotiate the price, negotiate around the full cost of the car, not the monthly payments. They can charge you double the sticker price and still make the monthly payments look good. The best way is to negotiate everything separately. If your bank or (even better) credit union offers financing at a lower rate than the lender the dealership uses (which is often the case) get financing from your institution ahead of time. That way you go in with the terms of the loan already established. Likewise, negotiate trade-in value (if any) separately. Often they will try roll the value into your monthly payment so you don't see how much they're actually giving you for the car. Don't let them do that. Negotiate the full value of the trade in and make sure it is acceptable before even talking about the cost of the car. Then negotiate the car's price itself. Don't mention monthly payments. Just get the price of the car, taxes, registration, etc etc etc. all set in one "walking out the door price" of $XX,XXX.XX. If you already got financing from your own lender, then hand over the check and enjoy your new car. If you are going through the dealership's financing, then negotiate payment terms, but DO NOT let them change the final figure. Interest is the only thing that should change.
4. Any add-ons advocated by the F&I department are generally not worth it. The dealer makes very, very little money on the car itself. Almost all of their profits come from F&I add-ons and service. As such the profit margins are huge and therefore the value to you is usually not anywhere near the cost.

I used to work at a dealership, and those are my personal observations. If you want any more advice let me know. I know how these things work inside out.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
An extended warranty depends on whether you plan to keep it stock, and plan to keep it past the factory warranty terms.

Dealers often try to tack on various xtras. The only one I've ever gotten that I felt was worth the money (even though I will probably never use it) was Gap Insurance. I only paid $250 for it though.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:

etc, etc, etc...

Thanks in advance.
1. "rust-proofing" I recall when I was younger, my Dad always got his cars rust proofed at the time he bought the car. But, I do not believe today's car receive "rust proofing" in the same sense that the dealer applies a black, "tar like" substance to the undercarriage. I believe todays cars are treated prior to painting for protection. Personally, I've never had it done to any of my cars, and I've never had a problem.

2. extended warranty Not a bad idea, provided when included in your car payments, you're able to afford it. Also, if you plan on buying the Camaro in it's first year, you may choose to extend the warranty. My Dad always avoided new cars in their first year. (I'm not saying there will be any 1st yr. quality issues, nor am I doubting the quality of the new Camaro.) Also, with the price of dealer labor, an extended warranty may be cheaper in the end.

3. dealer gimmicks Best advice, TAKE YOUR TIME! Shop different dealers. I'm not saying all dealers are "out to get you", but some salespeople may try to sell you "things" you don't really need. Also, use the internet when the time comes to buy your Camaro.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #9
Mike88

This is some really great advice guys..thanks! I'll do my hmwk on dealers and go in with the facts and specs on the car I want.

stovt001...by F&I do you mean finish and interior? That's my best guess. If so, are you talking about things like ash trays and cup holders? I mean what else would I want installed on the car that doesn't come from the factory?

Also, when you say don't let the saleperson lead you to the car and that you should bring them to the car you want, are you implying that I'll be driving the car right out of the showroom or off the lot? Like I said, I have no idea how this works...I just always figured you had to wait around a couple of days while the dealership got the car ready or placed an order for it from GM.

I do all work on my cars myself so I'm sorta curious about the warranty and extended warranties. Its definitely going to be wierd driving around a car that I won't be fixing any problems myself. But, with the roads around here resembling those of a third world country, I'm wondering if things like tie rods and ball joints are covered? I'm assuming they won't be.

Also, will I be able to put something as simple as a K&N CAI without voiding the warranty? What about factory tints...will we be able to order this car with tinted windows from the factory or will this be something the dealer takes care of? If that's the case I'll probably look for or an aftermarket installer.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:53 PM   #10
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
The rust proofing on my truck(ten years of free touch ups as often as I want) just more then paid for its self, spotted some rusting below my left rear window. Had the company check it out, basically said "Yup it's rust." an two weeks later sent me an apporval notice for $495.00 to have the body work done, no charge.
As far as the Extended Warranty , I've never had it figured into my payments. Pay cash for it if you can, no sence in making your payments any higher/ sorry same thing goes for the under coating, pay cash for that as well if you can afford it.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #11
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Also check your banks or credit union for auto services.. My credit union will actually just have me list what model/color/options I want and go find the car for me, get it at 500 over invoice and literally call me down to the CREDIT UNION to do a test drive of the car. They will also do the trade in and sign the papers .. all at the bank.. without me ever having to talk to a sales man.

It is my first game plan when I get around to purchasing my camaro. The only catch is I CANT order a vehicle. It has to be in stock to go this route.. so personally am going to wait about 6 months for the phoenix dealerships to get a good solid stock before having them go look for my baby. If this doesn't work its plan B which is following what everyone else has said so far.

PS - for me this service is free, some banks might charge a fee.. but usually its under $100.00 if they do and to me even that would be worth it.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #12
Mike88

^ Just curious...isn't going down to the dealership half the fun of getting a new car? I'm pretty sure i'll want to do all that stuff for myself.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:37 AM   #13
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
This is some really great advice guys..thanks! I'll do my hmwk on dealers and go in with the facts and specs on the car I want.

stovt001...by F&I do you mean finish and interior? That's my best guess. If so, are you talking about things like ash trays and cup holders? I mean what else would I want installed on the car that doesn't come from the factory?

Also, when you say don't let the saleperson lead you to the car and that you should bring them to the car you want, are you implying that I'll be driving the car right out of the showroom or off the lot? Like I said, I have no idea how this works...I just always figured you had to wait around a couple of days while the dealership got the car ready or placed an order for it from GM.
I'm sorry, sometimes I lapse back into dealership speak and forget that not everyone else knows what I'm talking about. F&I is Finance and Insurance. They work out payment options and sell things like extended warranties, gap insurance, maintenance plans, lojack, etc.

The process can work two ways, depending as you said on whether you pick a car from the dealer's stock or you have them order a car.

If you're not very picky about how you want your car set up, or you get lucky and find the exact car you want in their stock (you can check inventories online on the dealer's website or Chevy's, but call ahead because they are not always up-to-date) then you go the the dealer, and a salesman will almost certainly jump to meet you as soon as you get there. Tell him what you want, he should take you to the car (if it is still there). Do the test drive, and if you still want it, you go into negotiations. At this point you hammer out the price of the car, plus discuss things like dealer accessories. Once this is done you'll move on to F&I, which will finalize the financing details that you worked out with the salesman (they might try to change them to their advantage, so be careful) and also sell you the products I mentioned above. During this time the salesman will have the car washed, polished, etc, and when you're done with F&I he'll have the car waiting for you. He'll demonstrate how to use everything, give you final instructions on maintenance, etc, and a final walk-around, then you drive it off the lot.

If you order your car, first go to the dealership and test drive one that is as mechanically similar to the car you want that you can find. Then tell the salesman you want to special order one. They'll probably require a refundable deposit. You'll fill out a slip to order the car, and then when it comes in a few months later go through the same experience I noted above.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #14
Mike88

^ months? :eek:

I figured maybe a few days or a week. Okay so I'll try not to be too picky.

Next question: say I decide to take a car that the dealer already has on the lot...will I get to test the precise vehicle I want before I agree to purchase it? I see why dealers have tester vehicles, because you wouldn't want ppl testing the vehicle prior to your purchase of it, but at the same time I wouldn't want to buy anything without having driven it (and not just the tester car) first.