Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-22-2014, 12:52 AM   #29
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
This is America. We are the Land Of Opportunity. When you have opportunity, business thrives. When business thrives, it offers choices. When you have choices, you can choose what you want. When you can choose what you want, you have options and can get what you like. Is this a great Country or what....
Old 02-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #30
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yes it is a GREAT COUNTRY, and Calloway while offering this usually over looks things and charges too much for what is a performance bump and does not look else where but to add their badging to everything. I am sure others will blow this deal out of the water on a performance based aspect dollar for dollar as they have with the other Camaros and even add upgrades to the suspension and such for the same price and cheaper with out all the bling.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #31
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
I respect callaway. But, I'd take a 615-630 horse NA heads cam exhaust build over it anyday. GPI did a z06 vette and posted a while back with those numbers. Easily done on the ls7.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #32
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
I respect callaway. But, I'd take a 615-630 horse NA heads cam exhaust build over it anyday. GPI did a z06 vette and posted a while back with those numbers. Easily done on the ls7.
^^^ This... the whole point of the LS7 was a N/A engine for the road track.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #33
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Callaway does some great things but I think they are into make cars that are collectable more than anything. I have always thought that the LS7 didn't take to SC that well. Twin turbo's seem to work better.
If you want a really fast car just wait till Lingenfelter throws a couple turbo's on one.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #34
ARES5
ARES5

Drives: 2012 1SS Victory Red
Heat soak from the SC is going to affect it's performance after a few track runs. NA upgrades only
Old 02-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #35
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar382 View Post
Callaway does some great things but I think they are into make cars that are collectable more than anything. I have always thought that the LS7 didn't take to SC that well. Twin turbo's seem to work better.
If you want a really fast car just wait till Lingenfelter throws a couple turbo's on one.
I think you've found the solution to all our woes, centered weight and FI

But now we have to deal with turbo lag

Hell I'm just gonna throw a iron block lsx 427, big centri supercharger and my fat ass in the drivers seat and see if I can out drive the handling of the Z/28 after that

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #36
ThaCamaroKid

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Lol, and already people are taking a track car and turning it into a drag car.

I wonder how many Z/28's will be ruined by being turned into drag cars instead of being used for their intended purpose. This is just hilarious to me.

If the power output is just not ennough from the stock LS7 for whatever circuit you're racing, a simple cam/heads/headers/manifold will and a few tweaks will give you MORE than enough power without adding un-necessary amounts of weight.

375RWHP/399RWTQ
ThaCamaroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #37
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaCamaroKid View Post
Proving you can, indeed, make a sow's ear out of a silk purse...
Old 02-23-2014, 12:55 AM   #38
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaCamaroKid View Post

I wonder how many Z/28's will be ruined by being turned into drag cars instead of being used for their intended purpose. This is just hilarious to me.

If the power output is just not ennough from the stock LS7 for whatever circuit you're racing, a simple cam/heads/headers/manifold will and a few tweaks will give you MORE than enough power without adding un-necessary amounts of weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Proving you can, indeed, make a sow's ear out of a silk purse...
Well maybe GM should make us a street legal drag car and hopefully we can keep people from tying to make them handle better.

But in all seriousness what do you all have against having fun at both tracks? There are a hell of a lot more dragstrips out there than road courses. 90% of these cars aren't going to be driven anyway so why not let the few that have the chance to get out have fun on any track?

I really doubt anybody here complaining about the extra weight throwing the car off balance can drive good enough to notice the difference anyway so what's the problem if somebody wants this particular setup?

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #39
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
More late 60's and early 70's Z/28's ended up on drag strips than road courses. Do what you want with them and have fun.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #40
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Yeah some will do it, however it's like putting ketchup on a prime filet mignon.

Or like using vise-grips instead of a wrench when the wrench is the appropriate choice.

Taking it to a drag strip to see what it can do, sure. However it should be recognized the suspension is designed completely wrong to be effective for drag racing.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #41
Callaway Chris

Drives: Callaway Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Yes it is a GREAT COUNTRY, and Calloway while offering this usually over looks things and charges too much for what is a performance bump and does not look else where but to add their badging to everything. I am sure others will blow this deal out of the water on a performance based aspect dollar for dollar as they have with the other Camaros and even add upgrades to the suspension and such for the same price and cheaper with out all the bling.
As one who has the pleasure of owning four Callaways over the years, and driving many more, I have to say you are way off on your assessment of the brand

I think it was said best by Edmunds Inside Line Chief Road Test Editor, Chris Walton when he reviewed a Callaway Camaro:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Road Test Editor Chris Walton:

Yeah, it's fast, its brakes are bulletproof and the parts installation is utterly sanitary, but there's more to it than that.

I can say this because we've tested a large number of both stock and modified Camaros in the course of the past couple years.

This is what makes the difference between the Callaway Camaro SC572 and those other efforts that go only eight- or nine-tenths of the way to creating a completely engineered automobile. Callaway has a reputation for sussing out the details that others miss, or even choose not to address at all.
Sure, you can buy something which is cheaper, and even some which "claim" more power, but they don't seem to measure up and actually deliver like the Callaway.

So not sure what details might have been overlooked in your opinion. In fact, a few mos. ago, someone even came onto Camaro5 and copied/pasted Callaway's Camaro package, asking what they should charge for theirs. Fresh out of the woordowrk, it was interesting to see them use the Callaway package for their benchmark

Anyways, I've always thought it's been a fair price for the performance, possibly a bargain, and enjoyed my Callaways over the years.
Callaway Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #42
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Chris View Post
As one who has the pleasure of owning four Callaways over the years, and driving many more, I have to say you are way off on your assessment of the brand .
I'm assuming by your screen name and reply that you are associated with Callaway so going by that let's part with the hyperbole and gain some facts?

What does a SC652 Z/28 weigh (wet)?
Is it warranted for recreational on track use?
Is it guaranteed to run at 9/10 all day at the track? (30 minute sessions in 100f ambient?)
The press release does not specify it has anything other than stock ceramic brakes, is this correct?

I am so over reading "stick a cam in it!" (or a turbo or a blower) when I know from experience the big HP braggarts are typically the rolling chicanes at the track with the Miatas passing them in the corners.

652 HP is so far beyond what a recreational tracker could ever use it is ludicrous. May as well call it a Callaway Coffin for anyone stupid enough to turn off the traction control. I sure as hell would never right seat a student in one.

Instead of the same old "buy a cam!" BS, people would be far better served (for a lifetime) to invest instead in a multi-day driving school. On a road course, you can't buy skill and lap times, they're earned.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote