Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
LDHitman23

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Question F.A.S.T 102mm Intake Manifold.

Hello Fellow Camaros,

I had a question about the F.A.S.T Intake Manifold. I order this part awhile back when I was just trying to get more air in the motor with all my other upgrades. I got on the dyno and my numbers were way off. 30hp off to be exact. The I realized that my clutch was going out as well. So got a Spec stage 3 clutch in and broke in. Dynoed yesterday and still the power is not there. Dynoed at best 450rwhp and 417tq. Ever since I put on that F.A.S.T intake I just have seen negative results. I was trying to get some input on the people that are currently using this type of intake, and if they are having any types of issues with this apparent upgrade. Another thought crossed my mind that maybe not letting the car cool down enough before a dyno. I just need some input guys. Thank you for the help.
Texas Speed LT Headers (no cats), LS3 Monster blower cam, Muffler Delete, Stage 3 Spec 3 Clutch,102mm F.A.S.T Intake Manifold, Comp Cam Push Rods, Comp Cam Dual Springs, D1-SC Procharger, ID850cc Injectors, Stealth Fuel Pump, F.A.S.T Fuel Rails, Tune by Brett Seaburg, Nitto Street Radials, Amber Halos and Fog Lights, Window Tint (5%) Nightshade Tail Lights, Interior Amber Dome Light and Trunk.

LDHitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDHitman23 View Post
Hello Fellow Camaros,

I had a question about the F.A.S.T Intake Manifold. I order this part awhile back when I was just trying to get more air in the motor with all my other upgrades. I got on the dyno and my numbers were way off. 30hp off to be exact. The I realized that my clutch was going out as well. So got a Spec stage 3 clutch in and broke in. Dynoed yesterday and still the power is not there. Dynoed at best 450rwhp and 417tq. Ever since I put on that F.A.S.T intake I just have seen negative results. I was trying to get some input on the people that are currently using this type of intake, and if they are having any types of issues with this apparent upgrade. Another thought crossed my mind that maybe not letting the car cool down enough before a dyno. I just need some input guys. Thank you for the help.
Do you have the stock manifold to test and verify your HP Loss?

I have never heard of anyone losing Power.

Many have Reported Equal Power to stock manifold

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
LDHitman23

I do have the stock manifold. We are thinking about putting the stock on back on and seeing what the gains or losses are and then verifying them with the new intake manifold.
Texas Speed LT Headers (no cats), LS3 Monster blower cam, Muffler Delete, Stage 3 Spec 3 Clutch,102mm F.A.S.T Intake Manifold, Comp Cam Push Rods, Comp Cam Dual Springs, D1-SC Procharger, ID850cc Injectors, Stealth Fuel Pump, F.A.S.T Fuel Rails, Tune by Brett Seaburg, Nitto Street Radials, Amber Halos and Fog Lights, Window Tint (5%) Nightshade Tail Lights, Interior Amber Dome Light and Trunk.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
I do have the stock manifold. We are thinking about putting the stock on back on and seeing what the gains or losses are and then verifying them with the new intake manifold.
That would be the best thing to do.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
LDHitman23

I know you not being here to look at the vehicle and being able to tune it. Could you possibly think of anything else that could make that difference in the dyno? I know the timing that he cooled the car down from just doing the cam install was a huge difference from when we dynoed yesterday. The car sat over 3hrs compared to i drove all around the city, then took it up to the shop to get dynoed. Would that play a huge factor in the numbers?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
I know you not being here to look at the vehicle and being able to tune it. Could you possibly think of anything else that could make that difference in the dyno? I know the timing that he cooled the car down from just doing the cam install was a huge difference from when we dynoed yesterday. The car sat over 3hrs compared to i drove all around the city, then took it up to the shop to get dynoed. Would that play a huge factor in the numbers?
Same Dyno I doubt it, should be able to repeat time and time again within 5 HP.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
LDHitman23

That's what I figured. Whenever we would let the motor sit and get cooled 20 mins, I gained about 17 extra hp. That was when I gained the 450. I just don't know why it won't stay consistant. Thank you so much for you help. If you have any more input please let me know.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
DREV LSX

Drives: Its the Millenium Falcon
How is your off idle responce?
DREV LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #9
blk5genss

My mods are in my sig and have seen a gain in torque but not much in hp.
TSP Cam 231/236 112 LSA,TSP UD,Fast 102 w/Ported TB,AirAid CAI,1 7/8 catted Stainless Power LT,3 IN MBRP 3 in Exhaust/180*,Spohn LTA's,Toe Links, Drag Bar,Diff bushings,Hurst shifter,Hendrix/DSS 1400HP Axles,Nitto NT555R's,Lethal Performance Custon Tune 480 RWHP 454 RWTQ!! Best run so far is 11.94@121 LPE 3.91's Coming soon NW 102, and DSS DS, then car should be complete!!!
blk5genss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
LDHitman23

Everything got fixed up. I found out that I was running really lean on the 460 run and my AFR's spiked up in the 14's somehow, but came back down and leveled out. We did a better job on cooling the car off before the dyno and she produced 453rwhp and 418 tq. Comparing to another camaro with the same mods just with my FAST intake manifold, and he had a bigger cam, I gained about, if i remember correctly, 12hp and 8tq. I don't think that I will see the full use of it until I get the procharger put on.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
There is an article in either GM HighTech Performance or Super Chevy on a build done by Tune Time Performance that had the similar results. If your motor does not need the additional area (due to blower, heads etc) you will lose HP. Check our the magazine for yourself before flaming.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #12
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
Sorry you feel that way. I know the tester and the test vehicle personally and what was printed (and photographed) is what happened. Funny how you automatically doubt what others have already proven and now appears to have been duplicated again.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:22 AM   #13
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Wasn't GM Hightech the mag that posted the CAI resuts that showed that the OEM CAI was as good as any on the market? What they failed to mention that they tested the OEM in the cool morning air and the others in the hotter afternoon. They also installed one of the CAI's wrong. I think what CC is saying is that you can't always just take someone's word for it that something happened. We'd like to see the testing procedures and all the variables involved.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
LDHitman23

Thanks you guys for your comments. I have taking into consideration of that I am basically set up for a blower, and I might lose the power until I get boosted. I did not really expect any huge gaines out of the intake manifold, but not that much of a decrease. It's a build and this is my first build. I am learning a lot from this as well. All just trial and error from here on on out. Keep the posts up guys. Thank you once again.