Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #43
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by moserbe View Post
Been in the hospital and recuperating for the last month. Still not quite a 100% but hope to be soon. Question: After installing the rear trailing arms and rear toe rods, will it need a rear wheel alignment? How hard is the installation with the car on jack stands?
Hope you are doing better. That is not a fun way to spend your time. With the toe rod swap you will need to get the alignment looked at. With the car on jack stands you will be good to go.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #44
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #45
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Hope you are doing better. That is not a fun way to spend your time. With the toe rod swap you will need to get the alignment looked at. With the car on jack stands you will be good to go.
Would you recommend painting the parts before installing them?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #46
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Would you recommend painting the parts before installing them?
That would be a personal choice. They are stainless steel so you don't have to worry about corrosion but it would look really good. If you show your car judges might prefer the finished look.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #47
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Thanks for the help Chase!
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #48
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
Thanks for the help Chase!
No problem.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #49
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Very good information on movement causing wheel hop. For those who don't know WHY movement takes place, think about it a second.

1. The motor torques HARD on a hard launch. Look at NHRA stock class cars and it's VERY obvious. Super Stock cars all carry the front wheels a few feet, but the Stock class cars make it clear. The Stock class cars all pick up the left front wheel. That torque on a Gen 5 Camaro without a full roll cage and subframe connectors, is causing bigtime flex of the entire chassis.

2. Your slightly modded Gen 5 Camaro has a limited slip differential. Those clutches in the rear are deciding where the motor torque is going by easing power on the slippery side and putting power where the traction is. The already engine torque twisted chassis is being "bounced" left and right as the differential clutches rapidly apply the engine torque to whichever side has traction. Bounce = wheel hop

Drag cars run spools which lock the differential so the axles are always turning at the same rate. NO side-to-side shifting of torque means those NHRA Super Stock cars that leave with the front wheels high in the air, go straight. Street cars that launch wheels high up, usually ends up BADLY.

In the old days, when parts to cure problems in street cars were not available or too expensive, guys made parts or "made do". I've seen guys regrind worn race cams. I've seen guys cast their own pistons. Stroker motors small block Chevys were a simple matter of offset grinding a large journal junkyard crank to a small journal crank. Voila! You now have a stroker crank for the cost of a machine shop crank grind.

My L88 Chevelle with a 2.54 Muncie left HARD at 5500 RPM, but didn't flex as it was a full frame car. It had home built ladder bars on swap meet bought 50/50 downlock Koni rear shocks and worn out stock shocks with extensions on the front. How did I keep it straight when it launched high wheels up? I couldn't afford a spool or even a mini spool, so I did what guys in the 50s did and weld up the spider gears in the rear. Hey....it locked the axles together and it worked. Going around corners with the outside rear tire hopping was something that was just part of the hotrod game.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by Snidely Whiplash; 01-27-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #50
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Quote:
Been in the hospital and recuperating for the last month. Still not quite a 100% but hope to be soon. Question: After installing the rear trailing arms and rear toe rods, will it need a rear wheel alignment? How hard is the installation with the car on jack stands?
I'm still recovering from 2 major back surgeries in 2012. I've been permanently disabled since 2011. I WAS making a recovery until September, when some old fart speeding in the Walmart crosswalk decided he had the right of way instead of me and my shopping cart. I was working at rehab exercise to strengthening my core up until then. I was doing at least 200 crunches per day. Now, this disabled vet is back to square 1. Before being hit, I could run errands for 5 to 6 hours and still function the next day. Now I'm back to doing about 2 hours per day before I'm too tired to continue.
At least I have a lawyer.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #51
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
I'm still recovering from 2 major back surgeries in 2012. I've been permanently disabled since 2011. I WAS making a recovery until September, when some old fart speeding in the Walmart crosswalk decided he had the right of way instead of me and my shopping cart. I was working at rehab exercise to strengthening my core up until then. I was doing at least 200 crunches per day. Now, this disabled vet is back to square 1. Before being hit, I could run errands for 5 to 6 hours and still function the next day. Now I'm back to doing about 2 hours per day before I'm too tired to continue.
At least I have a lawyer.
Ouch, hate to hear that. Good luck one getting it all sorted out.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #52
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Come on you are not old just well experienced!

The factory rear cradle bushing can be kind of a pain to get out sometimes but replacing them definitely yields very good results in both handling and straight-line performance.
Experienced is the perfect term for me. I was born the same year as the 265" small block Chevy.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #53
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Experienced is the perfect term for me. I was born the same year as the 265" small block Chevy.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:58 AM   #54
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Ouch, hate to hear that. Good luck one getting it all sorted out.
I thank you for your encouragement, Chase.
I was exposed to a huge list of toxins while stationed at HAFB, Florida, in the 70s. My immune system has been compromised, my respiratory system is damaged with chronic sinusitis, asthma, sleep apnea, and my neurological system has been damaged causing extreme neuropathy pain at all times. The entire right side of my body has atrophied muscles and is going numb.

I once pledged to offer my nation, everything I owned up to and including my life; on my sacred honor - I pledge to overcome what has now befallen me...or die trying.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #55
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
I thank you for your encouragement, Chase.
I was exposed to a huge list of toxins while stationed at HAFB, Florida, in the 70s. My immune system has been compromised, my respiratory system is damaged with chronic sinusitis, asthma, sleep apnea, and my neurological system has been damaged causing extreme neuropathy pain at all times. The entire right side of my body has atrophied muscles and is going numb.

I once pledged to offer my nation, everything I owned up to and including my life; on my sacred honor - I pledge to overcome what has now befallen me...or die trying.
Not enough people are fighters these days. I respect you a lot for having that spirit.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #56
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvillekidd View Post
Did the cradle/subframe bushings in my garage using just hand tools and a propane torch. More info in this thread too:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...bushing+remove

Post 25 is what I did.
25 years ago, with the exception of the transmission and 9" Ford gear and spool setup, I built an entire 1962 Chevy II prostreet car in a 2 car garage - with NO outside help with heavy stuff. I did a backhalf w/wheeltubs, narrowed rear, and 12 point cage. and welded in subframe connectors. I then did a wrecking yard bought Mustang II rack and pinion steering up front. I built my own solid motor mounts and tranny crossmember. I traded an AMX body w/9" narrowed Ford rear and axles w/NHRA compliant long studs, for my ladder bars, rear coil-over Konis and mounts, and front Konis.

Today, I would be physically challenged to build a motor on a stand. If someone else bolted the motor to the stand and set it up. Then I would need help to set the hand ported double-hump heads on when ready. I had an easy 8 hours of work into those heads. Hand porting iron heads is a far cry from ordering CNC ported aluminum heads of today.

Yeah, my best days of building are behind me. Even with a right arm going numb, my best days of driving are ahead of me.

Tags
60 foot, apex motorsports, drag racing, traction, wheel hop