Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #43
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Lest I checked All versions of Mustang were quicker than their Camaro counterparts and the most powerful mustang is running CONSIDERABLY more power than the most powerful Camaro.
So now having less HP is ok as long as your car is a Ford. Got it.

Quote:
Just because you don't want them to make it lighter, doesn't mean it will not happen, look at the BRZ/FRS, they are only 4 cyclinders with lighter compnents yes, but they are 2800 pounds, ad 500 for the V8 and additional components to handle the extra ability anxd you've got something. Have they not also stated the next mustang will be smaller too?
Apples and oranges.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #44
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
So now having less HP is ok as long as your car is a Ford. Got it.

Apples and oranges.
lol, never said that and it is an even split, Camaro V6/SS has slightly more HP than Mustang V6/GT, Mustang Boss and GT500 are CONSIDERABLY more powerful than 1LE/ZL1. the performance is what is the most important thing, never really said otherwise, what I did say HP IS important because generally the more powerful car will be quicker "given similar weight/gearing". THe point is if you try to offer a 430 HP Camaro and the Mustang is running 475 and is more than likely going to be lighter, the result is obvious as is the car that is going to be purchased when non biased decisions are made on performance.

As for the other thing It shows that a pony car lighter than the Mustang by 200 pounds is very possible. The twins are front engine/RWD WITH IRS and a back seat, so.......
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #45
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Now now, as long as it's pretty the HP rating doesn't matter...... Sorry, had to
Unlike too many people, I like my muscle cars to have actual muscle and look good.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #46
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Unlike too many people, I like my muscle cars to have actual muscle and look good.
exactly
Old 05-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #47
2010-1SS-IBM

Quote:
lol, never said that and it is an even split, Camaro V6/SS has slightly more HP than Mustang V6/GT, Mustang Boss and GT500 are CONSIDERABLY more powerful than 1LE/ZL1. the performance is what is the most important thing, never really said otherwise, what I did say HP IS important because generally the more powerful car will be quicker "given similar weight/gearing". THe point is if you try to offer a 430 HP Camaro and the Mustang is running 475 and is more than likely going to be lighter, the result is obvious as is the car that is going to be purchased when non biased decisions are made on performance.

As for the other thing It shows that a pony car lighter than the Mustang by 200 pounds is very possible. The twins are front engine/RWD WITH IRS and a back seat, so.......
Well, the Boss is no longer in production. So that leaves the GT500 to hang your hat on, and the Camaro variants can still claim to be faster at everything but the quarter mile.

As far as weight goes, I don't see the Mustang shrinking to the size of an import. Which is what would have to happen to make up for all the weight-adders that are coming with a new body and IRS. If anything, I would think Ford would take a cue from Chevy and set their sites on balance and handling.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #48
Stew

Quote:
Well, the Boss is no longer in production. So that leaves the GT500 to hang your hat on, and the Camaro variants can still claim to be faster at everything but the quarter mile.

As far as weight goes, I don't see the Mustang shrinking to the size of an import. Which is what would have to happen to make up for all the weight-adders that are coming with a new body and IRS. If anything, I would think Ford would take a cue from Chevy and set their sites on balance and handling.
Wrong again V6 PP vs Camaro V6, oes to the Mustang is all Handling, GT vs SS, basically the same thing, 1LE vs Boss, have not really seen any head to head ciomparisons, but should be close, All the tests between the ZL1 and GT500 have been around 50/50 on roadcourses with the GT500 being a pretty decisive winner in the straightline acceleration. You have to think, if they can do that with what is really a 13 year old platform (started out as Dew98 in the lincoln LS and Jag S-Type and eveolved into the S197 Mustang) imagine what they can do with a truly modern platform with a GOOD IRS (no straight axle and no halfassed IRS like the 99, 01, 03, 04 Cobra) backing it up.

The Camaor is also going to an EXCELLENT platform so this should be VERY interesting.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #49
2010-1SS-IBM

Quote:
Wrong again V6 PP vs Camaro V6, oes to the Mustang is all Handling, GT vs SS, basically the same thing, 1LE vs Boss, have not really seen any head to head ciomparisons, but should be close, All the tests between the ZL1 and GT500 have been around 50/50 on roadcourses with the GT500 being a pretty decisive winner in the straightline acceleration. You have to think, if they can do that with what is really a 13 year old platform (started out as Dew98 in the lincoln LS and Jag S-Type and eveolved into the S197 Mustang) imagine what they can do with a truly modern platform with a GOOD IRS (no straight axle and no halfassed IRS like the 99, 01, 03, 04 Cobra) backing it up.

The Camaor is also going to an EXCELLENT platform so this should be VERY interesting.
I think your enthusiasm is getting ahead of Ford's engineering. Ford didn't really do much with that chassis except stick big engines in it. And just because an old chassis is going away doesn't mean it will be replaced with a better one. Plus with the switch to IRS, Ford has a lot more work to do than Chevy does.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #50
Stew

Quote:
I think your enthusiasm is getting ahead of Ford's engineering. Ford didn't really do much with that chassis except stick big engines in it. And just because an old chassis is going away doesn't mean it will be replaced with a better one. Plus with the switch to IRS, Ford has a lot more work to do than Chevy does.
Sir, research is your friend, baiscally every year wince the redesign they have made major improvements in one form or another to improve the handling. the boos is probably the best example and even the big power GT500 can get it's power down. If they can basically match and in many cases beat the Camaro with the old straight axle I have NO idea how you are saying that they have a lot more work to do than Chevy, that makes ZERO sense? Also, by the time the sixth gen actually hits the Alpha platform Ford will already have had a couple years to tweak the Mustang's new platform.......
Old 05-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #51
2010-1SS-IBM

Quote:
Sir, research is your friend, baiscally every year wince the redesign they have made major improvements in one form or another to improve the handling.
For the Boss they took out the back seats and added a huge crossbar just so the car wouldn't bend like a rubber band when it went around corners. You may think that's an improvement, but most of us see that as an admission that the chassis wasn't very good to begin with. So they need a better chassis. Do they have one? Who knows.

Quote:
the boos is probably the best example and even the big power GT500 can get some of it's power down.
FIFY.

Quote:
If they can basically match and in many cases beat the Camaro with the old straight axle I have NO idea how you are saying that they have a lot more work to do than Chevy, that makes ZERO sense?
They didn't beat the Camaro with the straight axle, actually. But that's besides the point anyway. The Camaro out-handled the Mustang in almost all iterations, but the Mustang would sometimes come out ahead because of either weight or (in the case of the GT500) power advantage. The weight advantage is going away. So now Ford has to come up with a new chassis and IRS and dial them both in.

Quote:
Also, by the time the sixth gen actually hits the Alpha platform Ford will already have had a couple years to tweak the Mustang's new platform.......
Doubt it. When the 5th gen Camaro came out it had a better chassis and 100+ more HP than the Mustang.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #52
Stew

Quote:
For the Boss they took out the back seats and added a huge crossbar just so the car wouldn't bend like a rubber band when it went around corners. You may think that's an improvement, but most of us see that as an admission that the chassis wasn't very good to begin with. So they need a better chassis. Do they have one? Who knows.
What? The Laguna Seca, yes it had the backsat removed and an X-Brace, the basic Boss did not and still got praised for it's handling. Do you really think in your mind that are not going to come out with a better chasis and a truly world class competitive one? Really?

Quote:
They didn't beat the Camaro with the straight axle, actually. But that's besides the point anyway. The Camaro out-handled the Mustang in almost all iterations, but the Mustang would sometimes come out ahead because of either weight or (in the case of the GT500) power advantage. The weight advantage is going away. So now Ford has to come up with a new chassis and IRS and dial them both in.
Um, the weight helped, but both the V6 mustang and GT were running less HP than their Camaro counterparts and beat them in all performance tests. If the chasis was so bad it still would not have been able to keep up even with the lighter weight. Also I don't see an SS giving an M3 a run for it's money in any tests you are right with the GT500 though, a lot of it's victories were because of the huge power, but it still won the ones it did

Quote:
Doubt it. When the 5th gen Camaro came out it had a better chassis and 100+ more HP than the Mustang.
What does that have to do with the 6th gen Camaro vs next gen Mustang? the playing field has changed and they are not going to come out of the gate behind and the fact is that yes Ford will have had a couple years to fine tune the mustang before the 6th gen comes out, that is just the fact of their release dates, how can you say that isn't true?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #53
2010-1SS-IBM

Quote:
What? The Laguna Seca, yes it had the backsat removed and an X-Brace, the basic Boss did not and still got praised for it's handling. Do you really think in your mind that are not going to come out with a better chasis and a truly world class competitive one? Really?

Um, the weight helped, but both the V6 mustang and GT were running less HP than their Camaro counterparts and beat them in all performance tests. If the chasis was so bad it still would not have been able to keep up even with the lighter weight. Also I don't see an SS giving an M3 a run for it's money in any tests you are right with the GT500 though, a lot of it's victories were because of the huge power, but it still won the ones it did

What does that have to do with the 6th gen Camaro vs next gen Mustang? the playing field has changed and they are not going to come out of the gate behind and the fact is that yes Ford will have had a couple years to fine tune the mustang before the 6th gen comes out, that is just the fact of their release dates, how can you say that isn't true?
Dunno what to tell you about all this but point out that all the things you claim Ford is going to do, Chevy already did. Chevy's got the advantage on the next gen.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #54
Stew

Quote:
Dunno what to tell you about all this but point out that all the things you claim Ford is going to do, Chevy already did. Chevy's got the advantage on the next gen.
They are both going to new platforms, how can one have ANY advantage over the other?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #55
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:

I think this chart that floated around a year or so back pretty much tells the story.

2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #56
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
I doubt the gt will come standard with 470hp but I could be wrong. A 50hp jump is a pretty big leap for the base model so IMO I think it will be around 445-455hp with IRS and better fuel economy because of the direct injection and that alone will be a huge improvement in the car. We all know based on the 1le that hp isn't everything. It comes down to how you handle the weight of the car that makes a better driving vehicle. Now if Chevy can get the weight to within 100-150lbs and make about the same hp it should be a good race but the extra torque of the lt1 might win out over the higher revving ford but only time will tell and I for one even as a die hard GM guy can't wait. Hopefully the camaro can regain its crown for the fastest pony car like it had back in 93,94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09 and 2010.(Z28vsGT)