Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
BBQdDude

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS
Need a better 60 ft time/reaction

Well I hit the drag strip for the first time. Need help to figure out how to get better launch times. Tire pressure: 28. Temp of day: 72 and dry. 2SS M6.

So I rev up to 3500, when the last amber lights I go to 5k and pull foot back. Seems I spin for about 50 feet. This is with tapping twice on the "button".

Highest speed: 111

Advice PLEASE?

BBQdDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I tend to launch around 2700-2800 with my m6 car... Most of the time the track will not be the same depending on track prep, weather, etc. I'll start the day out at about 2600, and creep up or down in ~50-100 rpm increments to find the sweet spot for the track that day. I've pulled some 1.9x 60' times on stock compound tires launching at these rpms.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
BBQdDude

Now that makes sense. It never hit me to LOWER the RPMs at launch.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
Here ya go. Good stuff at this website for M6 guys.

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdDude View Post
Now that makes sense. It never hit me to LOWER the RPMs at launch.
I seem to recall you over on the MC forum (or it's anoter BBQdude)... Did you get a set of the 18" vette wheels? Weren't you going to put drag radials on them? Were you running stock tires?

Obviously you can launch higher with DR's, but IMO you're still launching too high at 5k rmps ESPECIALLY if you're just running street tires...

Also, what are you running for air pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
Here ya go. Good stuff at this website for M6 guys.

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/
This is a very good site to learn from, I've read it quite a few times, and practice a lot of the techniques he gives. If you read a little deeper he recommends not launching above 2500 on stock tires, but depending on track prep and weather conditions, I would usually bog. I find that 2600 is a good starting place, at least for my track, and most of the time, depending on conditions, end up around 2700-2800 on stock compound tires. Much more and I start to spin a lot, and end up backing it back down.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
BBQdDude

Thanks for the link. I will review tonight when home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I seem to recall you over on the MC forum (or it's anoter BBQdude)... Did you get a set of the 18" vette wheels? Weren't you going to put drag radials on them? Were you running stock tires?

Obviously you can launch higher with DR's, but IMO you're still launching too high at 5k rmps ESPECIALLY if you're just running street tires...

Also, what are you running for air pressure?

This is a very good site to learn from, I've read it quite a few times, and practice a lot of the techniques he gives. If you read a little deeper he recommends not launching above 2500 on stock tires, but depending on track prep and weather conditions, I would usually bog. I find that 2600 is a good starting place, at least for my track, and most of the time, depending on conditions, end up around 2700-2800 on stock compound tires. Much more and I start to spin a lot, and end up backing it back down.

Got a set of 2010 Camaro rims with Pirelli summer racing tires. Never did get slicks to put on them though :(.

I lowered TP to 28 psi.

So it seems like it all comes down to launch RPMs. next track day I will play starting at 2600 RPMs and go from there.

Thank you all for the input .