Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #57
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Only the manual has the LS3 and more horsepower.I drove both and I could tell the difference between the two in power
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #58
4TH CAMARO

Drives: 2010 SS CGM LS3
MANUAL VOTE

I've driven for 30+ years... many, many cars pretty much split between autos and manuals.
But, all the vehicles that I strongly remember--and would rate highest on my 'favorite car list'----have been manual trans. There is something about being engaged in the actual operation of the vehicle, the mastery of the clutch/throttle/brake combination. It just feels more 'right' to me. Sure, you might not be the smoothest when you first start shifting, and don't be embarrassed----I'd be way more embarrassed if I couldn't drive a manual at all. (did you see the dude on the Amazing Race the other day that had to have his girl drive the stick 'cause he couldn't?? and on national freakin' Tv, too! Ouch! ha!)
Just keep working at it and you will have the satisfaction of mastering it. Put your mind to it and do it! You'll dig it! And there is nothing that sounds better than a manual trans car with a healthy exhaust leaving and going through the gears--fast or slow--doesn't matter!
(plus, with all the CAFE standards coming in the next decade or so, manuals will become far more common in cars to maximize fuel economy. get the drop on everybody and do it now!!!!!)

Kev
4TH CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #59

Drives: Mustang
great post 4th Camaro, thats exactly why I want manual transmission. The connection to the car.
1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #60
johncaye
Pavementguy

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Manual

Ironman: If the dude got bored with his auto in the Stang, and unless he is a real puss, he should love an SS with 6M alot. I quit sticks in the 80's cause the cars were under powered and I drove 25K miles a year around town. Thats a lot of shifting. I'm back in the new car mode now with the 2SS/RS with the manual. It is so easy to drive I'm going to teach my wife and even make (not the right word obviously in the case of the Camaro SS) my 14 year old learn on the stick before he goes to automatic so he gets the feel of seat of the pants control. I had thoughts that maybe I wouldn't like too much shifting, but it is my favorite thing to do right now (except for one other, duh).

I say go for it. Also, I have a new MBRP 3" T304 stainless catback and it sounds perfect. Nice growl at idle, roars under throttle and no drone whatsoever on the highway. Tried all gears and speeds 4,5,6 from 50 to 80. It is slightly louder than the stock sound at 70 in 6th. I installed it myself and made sure of all clearances and everything super tight. The rectangular tips inside the GFX look awesome. Got a lot of nods today, the first run of the year here in MN. Roads dry. I was surprised when I did a full throttle power shift on the entrance ramp and second gear spun the tires something fierce. I could always get a nice second gear but this was really something. A guy behind me on the ramp got off the freeway where I did and at the light said" wow is that thing fast, super second gear"! Get out there and race someone, people.
johncaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #61
Bryan

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
It seems the new Camaro has been a lot of peoples first manual car. A coworker of mine also has a 2SS as his first stick shift and I've seen quite a few others on this site who started on an SS.

I was told I was crazy for learning on a 426hp monster but I wouldn't have done it any other way. I believe that if I had tried to learn on a beater my frustration, and lack of fun, would have lead me to quit. I won't lie, after my first couple times stalling at a traffic light I had my regrets but with the SS every shift got smoother and faster. My initial frustration was slowly but surely replaced with HOLY@*#! this is awesome!

Nothing like shifting through the gears with the throttle wide open. After my first run at the drag strip (well, my second technically but we won't talk about the first I was literaly shaking afterward from the adrenaline rush I got.

To me it sounds like you want the manual for the right reasons. My best advice would be not to let yourself get discouraged. You are gonna suck at first (trust me, I did!) but it WILL get better and you WILL love it!
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #62
johncaye
Pavementguy

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS 6M
After while you become one with the machine, Yes!
johncaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #63
spark763

Drives: Camaro SS
Had three camaro 94 95 and 10 manuel up to you if u are lazy or drive in traffic auto like me or in traffic like me
spark763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #64
Ghost of Vincent Price
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6-M22 View Post
Only the manual has the LS3 and more horsepower.I drove both and I could tell the difference between the two in power

Only the auto has the l99 and less horsepower. I drove both and I could tell the difference between the two in power.

Honestly? They are almost dead even in performance...seeing as a l99 is a modified ls3.

Anyways, dont get a manual because you think it might be more fun. Ive fallen asleep driving both stick and auto. I believe Ive even shifted while sleep driving.
Ghost of Vincent Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #65
SSWAGGER2010

Drives: Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS
LOVE MY AUTO SS...NO REGRETS HERE...LOTS OF FUN TO DRIVE...TO EACH HIS OWN...
SSWAGGER2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #66
El Diablo

Drives: 67 Camaro rs/ 2010 Camaro SS/RS
When we ordered are 2SS/RS 6M .The wife and i looked around for a little beater car with a manual for our sons to learn on before driving the Camaro.We found a Sunbird and the boys drove it for the summer. They both have their own wheels but now they can drive the car without taking out the clutch.You already know how to drive so learning a stick should be easy. A side note we only paid a 100 bucks for the Sunbird and was it ever fun rat bagging that little car. Not caring if it died compared to worring about $60000 trucks.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #67
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS 15 Camaro Z/82 AGM
If u ever intend on bracket racing it even just for fun get the automatic. It is more consistent than a manual, i have beaten manual shifted cars, because of misshifts and not hitting the same shift RPM. Also if you live in a city where there is lots of stop and go traffic get the auto, if not then get the manual i learned to drive one at 10 years old.
CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #68
d34dluk3

Drives: ABM 2SS :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1192 View Post
Ok, heres my problem. I really want a manual 1SS/RS, but at the same time I want to play it safe and just get the automatic, I've never driven manual transmission before so I dont even know if its for me or not. Would it be wise to get a manual 1SS and use that right off the bat, or just get the auto transmission? I currently have an automatic '07 Mustang, and had alot of fun in it, but got sick of everyone saying "oh its automatic"

Is it tough to learn manual? I know the basics of it, never applied it though lol.
Driving a manual is honestly pretty easy. I bought my first stick not knowing how and taught myself. You may jerk all over the place for a couple of days, but 3 months in, you'll be driving like a pro.

I wouldn't learn on something nice. Burning the clutch on a new Camaro = stupid and pointless. Get one of your friends who has a junker stick to take you out and teach you if they don't mind.

It's a much more satisfying driving experience as well. Once you've driven a stick, driving an automatic feels like the car isn't even alive. It's like putting the training wheels back on your bike.
d34dluk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #69
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
DON'T let your choice be chosen by others.

Did you like your auto Mustang?

I enjoy a manual when downshifting and going around a corner. I like to feel in control of my car. Its just more fun. Sometimes I wouldn't mind an auto, but most of the time I am glad I bought the manual. BUT another thing to consider is the auto comes with a 400hp engine with cylinder deactivation, which I DO NOT LIKE AT ALL. That was a big help for me to choose the manual. 2 BIG reasons I bought an LS3.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote