Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
what's so great about the RS package?

Hi, I see a lot of posts saying "you gotta get the RS package, it rocks" or something to that affect . . . .

As far as I can tell, the two significant things in the RS package are the HID headlights and the 20" wheels / summer tires.

I agree the car looks meaner with the HID's, but there is a downside because the fog lights get turned off when the HID's are on.

The 20" wheels are cool, but you can get the 19" bright aluminum wheels with all-season tires for $470 without the RS package. I'm not sure I really want the summer-only tires; I know they improve the handling at the edge but I'm not likely to push the car that hard; and I'm not sure how they do in the rain. (my car will be a daily driver, can't stay home when it rains)

The spoiler is OK too but I kinda like the cleaner look without it. (and don't have to worry about the bolts falling off)

Is there something I am missing? Can you guys enlighten me?

thanks in advance
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Functionality wise, fog lights should not be on at the same time as your headlights. You can go to any driving school, performance or new driver's, and they will tell you the same thing. Anyone that has them on at the same time, do it for show, like yours truly because my TSX allows me to do that.

I like the 20s because of the finish, I don't like the finish on the 19s and yes I much prefer the HID Halo lights compared to halogen. After driving a car with those for the last 3 years, I don't see myself ever getting a car with Halogens.

Also the HID lights are $1100 to $1800 installed aftermarket for EACH light. So yea the package is great value.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Hi, I see a lot of posts saying "you gotta get the RS package, it rocks" or something to that affect . . . .

As far as I can tell, the two significant things in the RS package are the HID headlights and the 20" wheels / summer tires.

I agree the car looks meaner with the HID's, but there is a downside because the fog lights get turned off when the HID's are on.

The 20" wheels are cool, but you can get the 19" bright aluminum wheels with all-season tires for $470 without the RS package. I'm not sure I really want the summer-only tires; I know they improve the handling at the edge but I'm not likely to push the car that hard; and I'm not sure how they do in the rain. (my car will be a daily driver, can't stay home when it rains)

The spoiler is OK too but I kinda like the cleaner look without it. (and don't have to worry about the bolts falling off)

thanks in advance
The RS package gets you the HIDs and the Halo lights.

Fog lights are completely not needed with the HIDs. The HID lights make them redundant.

The only reason for having fog lights with this car would be because you think driving around with fog lights on looks "cool" or something. They serve no practical use otherwise. If it's about looking cool, then I'd say the Halo lights look 10x as cool as fog lights.

With R/S you also get the "cool" 20" rims, the "cool" body colored roof mouldings, the "cool" badges, and "cool" darkened taillamps too.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Aquaman

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT Aqua Blue
Quote:

thanks in advance
The part I agree with is the cleaner look without the spoiler. I actually like the look minus the spoiler. I think the RS looks great but the problem has become the vast majority of the camaros out there have the RS package and it takes away from the uniqueness.

As far as driving on the 20" pirellis, they are only summer tires. If you bought the car as a daily driver, I would strongly suggest winter or all seasons.

The halos I don't like at all. I like the more retro look. In fact, I like the look of the LS with the heritage wheels. To each his own.
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:

thanks in advance
The package isn't for everybody, and true, with the HID's on you cannot use the fog lights, but the HID's are so powerful, there isn't really a need for both to be on at the same time, plus, it would look really dumb being that the fog lights are halogen and the HID's are different technology.

It won't matter what size tires you have, whether you have 19" all season or 20" painted aluminum summer tires, if this car is to be your daily driver, you are going to need "snow" tires if you live in a temperate climate area that sees snow often or once in awhile during the winter months. If you are happy with 19" tires, don't get the RS package.

Sounds like you want a practical Camaro, if there is such a thing, and if that is the case, than the RS package is not for you. You don't care for the HID's, P-Zero 20" 3 season tires, or the spoiler. I think you've made up your own mind already. The darkened tail lights are also included in the package which is cool, but I don't think that alone would be a deal breaker for you.

Again a recap:

Practicality - No RS Package

Fun/Show/Performance - RS Package

If you consider an SS trim at any point, you'll do yourself a serious disservice by not getting the RS package, but that is just my opinion. Hope this helps and good luck!
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Functionality wise, fog lights should not be on at the same time as your headlights. You can go to any driving school, performance or new driver's, and they will tell you the same thing. Anyone that has them on at the same time, do it for show, like yours truly because my TSX allows me to do that.
I'm not so sure about that. I installed the OEM fog lights following the instructions for my 2000 camry last year. Following the instructions and going through the toyota tests, you can not have the fogs on without the low beams. The beam pattern on these lights, lights up the area below the headlights.

I get that same area lit up on the Camaro with my HID's as I got with the low beams and fog lights on the camry. So I believe the reason you can't have them on at the same time, is that they are unneccessary.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:

thanks in advance
Being able to say my Camaro is an SSRS is great
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:

thanks in advance
Summer only tires are fine in the rain. I got the RS package because I wanted the spoiler and the halos. The spoiler bolt issue has been resolved. Mine is still rock solid and has about 4200 miles on it.

The 20" rims and tires are pretty sweet too. My thoughts were I'm going to have to get a set of winter tires, and I did. They are far better than the any all season I've ever driven on. But now that I have two sets of tires, my summers should last a lot longer.

You get darker tail lights, but they aren't as noticable. Now if you got the afterburner tails, you'd probably get a lot more people getting the RS.

From my understanding it is not possible to add the HID's to a non RS car yet as the wiring and the ECM are different.

I think that the car looks a lot better having the Halos, 20" wheels and spoiler than without.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
Rocks RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Have you seen the Halo's!!!

The headlights ROCK!!!

Taillights are cool too. And the wheels, awesome.

Sporting MRT V1, Hurst short throw, and Injen long tube and loving it!!!

Also, over 125,000 miles and going.
Rocks RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I like all the RS specific options, but the one that really pushed me over the edge was the body colored roof ditch molding. Unless your Camaro is black or cyber gray the body colored roof ditch molding really makes the difference.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I got the RS package mostly because I wanted the 20" wheels. A Camaro with 19" wheels just looks funny to me. The wheel wells look too empty. The added benefit is that I get the darker taillights and those Camaro eyes. My Camaro will be CGM so the roof ditch molding being painted is nice, but it didn't sway me either way.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
The RS package is a great package. But you can add most of the options you have mentioned to the base LT package, yes including the halos. Just look around this forum people are offering these options at a great price and a little work on your part. It seems that you don't want all of the RS options so just get the ones you want and spend a little time with your car installing them, you'll have a great time doing it !
Oh and you have a great reference for these changes in this forum, use them, most people here are willing to help you get your camaro the way YOU want it !
Old 12-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
HID'S WITH HALO's enough said. They are worth EVERY PENNY of the RS upgrade charge.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I think you answered your own question. It does not seem the RS package does it for you, so save yourself some money and get it without. I personally had to have it. The halos, the midnight silver rims, darker tailights and the fact that my car is an SS/RS.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote