Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 09-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
WOOT WOOT... MY LT HEADERS ARE NOW LEGAL

I am a happy camper

Our Camaro is now officially registered in Texas

That makes our Long Tube headers w/high flow cats LEGAL!

Sorry you missed out on the annual registration fees California.

Maybe this should be placed in the DIY section:

How to make LT headers legal in California.
1- Register in another state.
2- Refer to step 1.

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353

Last edited by GB EB; 09-07-2011 at 06:10 PM.
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 2SS/RS View Post
I am a happy camper

2- Refer to step 1.
3- Profit!
Fixed.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
I am a happy camper

2- Refer to step 1.
Ummm yes and no..... you still have to live by CA laws, and in a few yrs when you have to re register on base they will ask for a CA smog test and you will fail, I am hoping not to be around, but kept all my exhust parts so worst case I have to get them all installed then go back and have them put back on..... sorry to break the bad news...
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE1991 View Post
Ummm yes and no..... you still have to live by CA laws, and in a few yrs when you have to re register on base they will ask for a CA smog test and you will fail, I am hoping not to be around, but kept all my exhust parts so worst case I have to get them all installed then go back and have them put back on..... sorry to break the bad news...
1-updating my tags to my EAOS using the CA registration that is still legally valid.... well, by legal I mean it's paid up to the end of the year
2-won't be in that much longer.
3-if I had to, I'd drive the Mustang or Challenger to work

If I remember correctly the base said I didn't have to PASS the smog test... just had to do it... but I have always passed in my former cars so I never really asked or researched what they meant or if they even knew what the hell they were talking about.....

but you do make a valid point..... thanks for the bad news.... now, return to your Mod-Frenzy.

edit:
The California Vehicle Smog Test Certificate is a requirement for all vehicles receiving Decals; even if it is registered in another state
If your vehicle is exempt from the Smog Certificate, Enter > Exempt in the Smog Certificate Number Field
If you have any questions on Vehicle Smog Test Certificate for your local, please contact your local Pass and ID Office

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
MARINE1991

Quote:
1-updating my tags to my EAOS using the CA registration that is still legally valid.... well, by legal I mean it's paid up to the end of the year
2-won't be in that much longer.
3-if I had to, I'd drive the Mustang or Challenger to work

If I remember correctly the base said I didn't have to PASS the smog test... just had to do it... but I have always passed in my former cars so I never really asked or researched what they meant or if they even knew what the hell they were talking about.....

but you do make a valid point..... thanks for the bad news.... now, return to your Mod-Frenzy.

edit:
The California Vehicle Smog Test Certificate is a requirement for all vehicles receiving Decals; even if it is registered in another state
If your vehicle is exempt from the Smog Certificate, Enter > Exempt in the Smog Certificate Number Field
If you have any questions on Vehicle Smog Test Certificate for your local, please contact your local Pass and ID Office

Well you wont have to worry about for 5 yrs from the date of your car.... once your car is older then 5 then you have to have it smogged to get the base registration, yea its just for base... they follow Ca laws even if your car is registered in another state... Ok back to my frenzy..... you can still get a CA ticket for the long tubes but not likely... I been stopped twice... and no tickets at all... must be my great personnality...
Old 09-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Ryne @ CMS

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 06 C6 Z06, 15 Sierra
I have vette register here and if you guys have ever heard my vette it's ridicoulously loud and has a rather large cam
Ryne @ CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
I have LT's on mine as well. I'm registered her also. My last car had LT's and a SC that was not CARB and never had an issue. Most smog shops dont really look for aftermarket parts. As long as there is no Cell and you can pass the emitions part of the test you should be fine. If you run into a shop that actually looks to see if you have LT's then go to a different shop. You should still be able to pass emitions with them.
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
MARINE1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmlloveless View Post
I have LT's on mine as well. I'm registered her also. My last car had LT's and a SC that was not CARB and never had an issue. Most smog shops dont really look for aftermarket parts. As long as there is no Cell and you can pass the emitions part of the test you should be fine. If you run into a shop that actually looks to see if you have LT's then go to a different shop. You should still be able to pass emitions with them.
Good luck with that.. Just sweet talked the lady to give me new stickers for my car now have extra yr...
Old 09-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #9
alexpdbz

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE1991 View Post
I've been here since april and still haven't gotten my smog check done. My car is registered in TX and I've been getting temp passes every time. I just tell them that the car is from out of state and that they told me I need a smog check done. They then give me a temp pass for 2-3 months. They are said to be getting rid of base decals altogether in October tho. That's what I'm waiting for. I thought LT's were still illegal in TX tho, but I could be mistaken.
alexpdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
MARINE1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpdbz View Post
I've been here since april and still haven't gotten my smog check done. My car is registered in TX and I've been getting temp passes every time. I just tell them that the car is from out of state and that they told me I need a smog check done. They then give me a temp pass for 2-3 months. They are said to be getting rid of base decals altogether in October tho. That's what I'm waiting for. I thought LT's were still illegal in TX tho, but I could be mistaken.
Yea you can get temp passes all day, but you will not get a perment one until you get it smoged, or if its new camaro you do not need one till its 5 yrs old.

Last edited by MARINE1991; 09-20-2011 at 08:03 AM.