Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
TPMS question

Yesterday, my dashboard lit up with instruction to get my TPMS serviced soon... and it appeared that there was no reading coming from my rear/ driver tire. After clearing the message, my little "flat tire" light was illuminated on my dash (guess I should carry a roll of electrical tape with me, to cover up annoying lights!).

After a start and a restart, though, all seemed good... the questionable tire even displayed correct pressure. Buuuuut.... a few minutes later, it all happened again. Today, though, all day, the dash has been calm and not illuminated with warnings (no, I did not cover anything with electrical tape).

I'm ASSUMING that with the problem being intermittent, it may be a battery issue... or, maybe something else has gone wrong. Yep... it's one of those two things.

My questions are: Do the sensors have batteries in them? Do I need to replace a battery? Or, is it just cheaper/ easier (you may have already guessed that I am cheap!) to replace a sensor? Should I replace all four, if I'm doing one (my rig is almost six years old now)... are they an item that generally has a shelf life? If I decide to replace it, will any tire shop have a giant box of them on hand, or should I purchase one ahead of time, and carry it to the shop (I'm due for tires in the next month or so, and I plan to make necessary changes/ repairs then)?
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Replace the whole thing.

No reason you or the shop can't get them.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:47 AM   #3
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
have all of them replaced with your new tires. being a 2011 they lived there lift and there batteries are dying. you can buy the GM ones cheap online. part number 13581558 http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-135815.../dp/B00O9H0QIG
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Thank- you for your responses!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #5
WeflyhereSS

Drives: 2012 Black on Black Camaro 2ss
I would first try to relearn them if that doesn't work definitely replace them
Old 05-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
Yeah sounds like the batteries have given up the ghost or maybe just went defective. I can get you any quantity you need.

Rudy
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote