Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Mike614

Drives: 2010 Camaro v6 LT1 Inferno Orange
Car Cover

I don't have a garage, should I get a car cover? I heard that car covers can scratch the car, is this true? My 2010 Camaro been siting in my driveway a week now and it already has small scratches, trying to avoid that, snow, rain, and sun. and one thing.. I got a lot haters lately since I got this car, should I buy a key gas lock? Thanks
Mike614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Car covers are for freshly cleaned cars. If you put a car cover on a dirty car you will scratch it. Period!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Mike614, what SSOOCH said......the ONLY time you put a cover on a car is right after its been washed and dryed. NEVER put a cover on a car unless its SPOTLESS, even if its only been driven a short distance right after you washed it.....DON'T COVER IT. It will do a lot more harm. OH and BTW, Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in them...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's and wive's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
benradmo

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike614 View Post
I don't have a garage, should I get a car cover? I heard that car covers can scratch the car, is this true? My 2010 Camaro been siting in my driveway a week now and it already has small scratches, trying to avoid that, snow, rain, and sun. and one thing.. I got a lot haters lately since I got this car, should I buy a key gas lock? Thanks
Mike, I am in the same situation. If you get a California duster and gently wipe off the dust before putting on the cover you will be alright. Worst case you get some swirl marks and you can buff them out using swirl X.
Its not the ideal solution but what can we do?
This is the cover I got:
http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/60A3835A0A0.aspx
It sure beats leaving the car in the elements.
Good luck.
benradmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
Mike614

Drives: 2010 Camaro v6 LT1 Inferno Orange
I don't even think I want a cover now...I don't have swirl x. The whole point of me of getting a cover was protecting from weather, rust, and scratches. I was planning on using the car cover everyday. I can't be cleaning the car every day, that's too much hassle. If the cover really can put scratches on the car that easily then it's not worth it. My whole idea of a car cover was that I can just slap it on when it's in the driveway to keep the paint fresh and protect it from hazards .... Thanks for the welcome BTW
Mike614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike614 View Post
I don't even think I want a cover now...I don't have swirl x. The whole point of me of getting a cover was protecting from weather, rust, and scratches. I was planning on using the car cover everyday. I can't be cleaning the car every day, that's too much hassle. If the cover really can put scratches on the car that easily then it's not worth it. My whole idea of a car cover was that I can just slap it on when it's in the driveway to keep the paint fresh and protect it from hazards .... Thanks for the welcome BTW
Honestly your probably off not even using one in the winter in Ohio. Most car cover will freeze to the clear coat if wet and the temprarture is low enough, it ever is here in Phoenix at night in winter. I'll disagree on the dust point, you definately have a couple hours and not minutes to put the cover on. Even still if you put a cover on when it creates clear coat scratches you can always buff them out. Car covers are a little bit of a science but once you know the what to do's its fairly easy. The UV protection in summer alone is worth it.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote