Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Track Weekend #4: Willow Springs Big Track!

The Upgrades

Previously, my 1LE was feeling very planted and balanced at the track with the Pedders coilovers, engine mods and R compound track tires dialed in. I was to the point where I could turn decent lap times against most cars, but I couldn't touch the ones with the giant wings. I would catch them in the straight, but they would walk away in the corners. So I thought, 'If I can't beat 'em, join 'em.' So I upgraded with some aero mods- an APR carbon fiber wing and splitter, and also hood vents to relieve the lift on the front end. I added a couple extra support rods to the splitter to handle some of the faster tracks here in CA.

Safety First

My on-track speeds are now high enough that it was time to upgrade safety as well. So I added a custom roll bar, Sparco Evo seats, and a Sparco 6-point harness. This enabled me to drive with a Necksgen head and neck restraint, which I've found very comfortable and secure when tracking my other car.

Putting the Upgrades to the Test

After hearing cornerspeed describe how absolutely awesome Willow Springs Raceway is, known as the "Fastest Track in the West," I had a chance to experience the Big Track first-hand. 2.5 miles + only 9 turns = wicked-fast speeds, especially in the corners! A big bonus is that there were 9 other Camaros at the track on Saturday- BigBlock69RS, bajamoon, ddunerider, Magilla Gorilla, 90503, and a bunch of other hardcore Camaro guys. Very cool, I had a chance to meet a bunch of So Cal forum members, although I was so busy swapping tires and talking with my instructor that we didn't get much of a chance to socialize. Hopefully we'll meet up again one day soon.

Hitting the Track

Not knowing what to expect my first time driving a car with about 500 pounds of additional downforce at speed, I decided to take it slow and start on my stock Goodyears. I also hired an instructor for the first few sessions to learn the line. Surprisingly, the car felt very balanced. I was concerned that the car would push with that giant wing, but the splitter did a good job of sucking the front down in harmony with the big wing's downforce. I also found that the aero makes the car very planted and predictable in the high speed corners. By lunchtime, I was ready to slap on my track wheels with 315 Nitto NT-01 R compounds.

Having only 9 corners on a 2.5 mile track is both good and a bit scary. The good: It's easy to learn the basic line quickly with such few turns. The scary: in turn 8, some cars are hitting speeds of over 130 mph! And that corner is bumpy! Plus, you'd better know when to lift and slow for turn 9, or you'll end up off track, possibly getting close and personal with pit wall or the berm protecting it. Driving this track is as much about balls as it is skill.

Ok, let me tell you about aero on a Camaro. Damn, this car just sticks!!! The aero transformed the Camaro to the point where I never felt close to it's limits in the higher speed corners. I had to remind myself that it's grip level reduces on the slower ones. I will say this, though- the aero produces a fair amount of drag. In the past, my car was nearly as quick to accelerate in the straights as stock Z06s, but not any more. The drag of the big wing really reduces acceleration. I may have been faster in the corners, but the Z06s really gain on me in the straights. Was the trade off worth it- hell yes! I'm a permanent fan of big aero

Lap Times

After learning the track Saturday, I was ready to drive more aggressively on Sunday. The cool track temperature of Sunday's first session helped it all come together. I was able to put down a best lap of 1:33.778, and the rest of the day I turned a number of 1:34s and 1:35s. Here's a video of my second session Sunday, where I turned a 1:34.67:

Conclusion

With the engine upgrades, suspension, brake pads, safety improvements and now aero package, I am really loving this 1LE!!! Very few cars could touch it on track, most of which came in on trailers. I'm ready to put it to the test and will be competing in Speed Ventures' Pony Car Challenge at 5 events this year. This is just a small friendly time trial, but I'll get a chance to face off against Mustangs, Challengers and fellow Camaros. This will be a new experience for me, not sure what to expect, except an over-the-top adrenaline rush of a good time!
Attached Images

Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Man that lap was fast!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Man, you're sick. And I love it. Lunch next week? I've got to see this wing.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
RazorLED

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Im impressed! Nice run man.
RazorLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #5
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Very nice!! Great gob!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Very cool, and I'd love to know what the track time would be before the aero package?

That video should motivate everyone to get these cars to a track where they belong. If that doesn't make you want to race your Camaro then you need to check if you have a pulse.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Old 02-22-2014, 01:10 AM   #8
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schluney View Post
Man that lap was fast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorLED View Post
Im impressed! Nice run man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Very nice!! Great gob!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
Thanks fellas, it was a blast! The SoCal guys are lucky, great tracks in that end of the state.

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 02-22-2014 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:17 AM   #9
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Man, you're sick. And I love it. Lunch next week? I've got to see this wing.
LOL, thanks, I think

I just put the Camaro back in the shop, front brake pads were down to nothing as were the Nittos. They're going to improve the stiffness of the wing and splitter mounting, they deflect a bit at speed.

Week after next, lunch would be cool Brian.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:20 AM   #10
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Very cool, and I'd love to know what the track time would be before the aero package?

That video should motivate everyone to get these cars to a track where they belong. If that doesn't make you want to race your Camaro then you need to check if you have a pulse.
I totally hear you on tracking. I'm pretty much addicted, I had no idea how fun it would be. It's hard to find anything as an adult that can give you the adrenaline rush we had when we were kids, ripping down hills on skateboards and big wheels.

People have told me their cars are anywhere from 2 to 5 seconds faster per lap with aero, depending on the car and the track. I wish I had a baseline, but this was my first time at Willow Springs. I'll be returning to Buttonwillow in April, it will be interesting to see how much faster I run.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:44 PM   #11
Magilla gorilla

Drives: 2012 45th Edition 2LT RS,2005 Tahoe
:d rive:
Magilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #12
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
Great post! I would love to see some pics of your roll bar/seat/harness set up.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #13
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Very cool, love the set up. U got pics of cage and interior?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #14
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Very Cool!....

What did you end up doing with the SRS system with the seats removed? Disable or trick with resistors?