Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
? how to tune out codes with diablo predator

I have long tube headers and exhaust for a while. My check engine light came on i used my predator tuner to check the codes and it said that it was running lean and that the cat was messed up but i know that it will set off the cat after a while. has anyone had this code come up?

Last edited by woodside783; 09-19-2010 at 07:26 AM.
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
well you are probably running lean or need to get the o2 senor tuned out, have a shop check it out
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
SA CHEVY
"HILLARY"

Drives: "HILLARY" :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783 View Post
I have long tube headers and exhaust for a while. My check engine light came on i used my predator tuner to check the codes and it said that it was running lean and that the cat was messed up but i know that it will set off the cat after a while. has anyone had this code come up?
I actually talked to my tuner just yesterday and he said you should be throwing about 2-3 codes after doing LT's without having tune, 1-2 for the cats and 1 for running lean. Your predator can't fix them so you'll need either the SCT tuner to tune those codes out or a dyno/custom tune is my suggestion. Nothing wrong with your car though just a common deal when you do LT's.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
woodside783
Casey Woodside

thanks guys i took out the predator tune and as of know it is not doing anything. just looking for a good dyno tune shop in nashville tn anyone know of one?
Old 09-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
woodside783
Casey Woodside

sct tunner can tun out the codes? how i tried on my predator and it would not do it?
Old 09-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
SA CHEVY
"HILLARY"

Drives: "HILLARY" :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783 View Post
sct tunner can tun out the codes? how i tried on my predator and it would not do it?
My understanding was that they have the ability to tune out those codes that are throwing your check engine light.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
R1CH

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
You can tune out the codes with your Predator too, just like you can with the SCT tunner. You need to get in touch with a guy from here named 06MonteSS; he does custom tunes for the Diablo Predator and Trinity tunners. He can get you all set up. Here is a link to his profile page on here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/member.php?u=12397
Just send him a message.
R1CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Without trying to thread jack, I think this relates to the OP's original question. For the guys that have done these mods and are using a handheld:

1) Are you able to actually fix the problem of the cats throwing codes? Or is it just a case of blocking them out so the computer doesn't recognize them anymore. If so does it have any adverse effects later on down the road.

2) As for running lean, are you able to fix that yourself with the handheld or is it necessary to datalog(assuming you can do that with the handheld?) and get a custom tune.

I ask #2 in the event that people aren't near an actual shop and are looking to do this themselves, which is the case with myself.

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
Cat codes are normal with long tube headers and will not have any kind of adverse affect on aything except turning the check engine light on. These codes can be tuned out via a custom tune on your handheld or have a tuner tune them out Lean code is not normal. Something is wrong You dont want your car to run lean as this can cause engine damage I would think that the Predator tune in your handheld is supposed to be good enough for a free flowing exhaust and intake. You should not have any lean codes with your stock tune or with the predator tune. Lean codes should not be tuned out. You need to make sure you dont have any air leaks in your intake system or any engine vacuum leaks. If everything mechanical is ok then you need to have a professional tuner tune it or call the Predator people as stated above and maybe they can figure out what's wrong with your tune.

Hope this helps, jrrod
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote