Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Should Sunroof be Offered in ZL1?

In listening to the videos and the question and answer session the question of whether a sunroof will be offered in the ZL1 came up. Al declined to answer and it seems that it is a topic still under discussion within Team Camaro. I personally hope it is offered as an option. I am not a convertible person but I do like a sunroof here in South Florida and I like the sunroof in the C5 Camaro. Everytime I have rented one it has been a great feature. Since the Camaro Team reads these forums, lets give them some insight, what do you think? Should the ZL1 have the option of a sunroof available if the buyer wants to pay for the option?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
I personally don't believe it should be offered on this model and from the Q&A session with Al that you mentioned, I think he agrees.

That doesn't mean it won't be offered though, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
MarkSS

Drives: 2014 Z/28
It seems that there are two schools of thought on this car. One is that it has all kinds of luxury features and one that is should be more of a pure performance car and anything that doesn't serve that need is unnecessary. I am in the second camp and so see no use for a sunroof, a nav screen, an automatic trans, leather seats, or anything that adds cost/weight to the car and offers no performance benefit. So you can guess where I come down on a sunroof. However, if it can be an option that does not add cost/weight for those who don't want it, I guess that is ok.
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSS View Post
It seems that there are two schools of thought on this car. One is that it has all kinds of luxury features and one that is should be more of a pure performance car and anything that doesn't serve that need is unnecessary. I am in the second camp and so see no use for a sunroof, a nav screen, an automatic trans, leather seats, or anything that adds cost/weight to the car and offers no performance benefit. So you can guess where I come down on a sunroof. However, if it can be an option that does not add cost/weight for those who don't want it, I guess that is ok.
What you say makes sense from a performance viewpoint because I am sure it will add some weight to the car. But for me with 550+ Horsepower on tap, how much can it really slow it down? I have no plans to mod the car for performance because I do not want to lose the warranty which is one of the reasons I purposely waited for this car. To get groceries, cruise the highway and stomp the occasional Mustang this car will have all of the power that I am going to need. There will always be someone out there with more money than I am willing to spend to make the car faster. In the end it will come down to how much do you want to spend to be the fastest car. This car will run in the low 12's, more than fast enough for me and most likely fast enough for lot of others that buy this car. I would like to have the sunroof option to be able to cruise, let in the sun or moon and listen to the exhaust. I am very lucky to live in a place where I can use the car almost every day and do not have to store it for the winter. I would like to be able to get the most amount of use and fun that this special car has to offer. I just hope that they let me chose sunroof or no sunroof.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I think it should be why not. I think if I got the car I would want it
upgrades kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ deleted cats, corsa exhaust, hurst short throw shifter stage 3 comp cam, 3.91 gears ecs kit blower, meth injection, upgraded axles, drive shaft, McLeod rxt clutch, fully forged 416ci stroker all installed and dyno tuned by slowhawk performance in bridgewater ma.
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
It should be exclusive, no 'vert, no moonroof. Just strictly performance imo.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Should the windows be able to roll down? I don't see the performance benefit to being able to roll your windows down. LOL
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
RickD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Should the windows be able to roll down? I don't see the performance benefit to being able to roll your windows down. LOL
That's going to get hot! Especially after you delete the AC since it is bringing down performance too.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
That's going to get hot! Especially after you delete the AC since it is bringing down performance too.
At least you won't have leather seats to stick to. The cloth seats can soak up all your sweat.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I'm still not entirely sure it's feasible.

Isn't the roof made partly out of carbon fiber down the center?

If that's the case, it would be pointless to go and cut a big hole in the carbon fiber stripe...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Smile

No real interest in a sunroof. I've had them from time to time. I'd prefer Auto transmission to be honest. So I can shift as fast as the fastest drag cars! LOL... I'd like to see real paddle shifters vs buttons on the back too! Just like on the test Corvettes!

But as you can see below, my Z Dog likes the sun ........ but she prefers her car to remain cool for comfort! No MOON ROOF here!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Would consider it, not a deal breaker one way or the other. I do admit I like sun roofs though!
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
BlemsBumble

Drives: '13 ZL1 #662; '10 SS; '99 SS
If it is available, mine won't have it. Nice goat, Htron.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I'm still not entirely sure it's feasible.

Isn't the roof made partly out of carbon fiber down the center?

If that's the case, it would be pointless to go and cut a big hole in the carbon fiber stripe...
Pretty sure thats just the hood
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote