Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 03-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Tow Hook install on my 2013 SS/1LE

I figured this is the best forum for this as I am not really doing a how-to...just giving a couple of pointers to those that may be installing a Tow Hook on their Camaro

• Remove front Fascia
  • Remove the metal plate that surrounds the hood latch (bolted to the radiator core support) and unbolt hood latch so you can move it to the side. This allows you to reach an arm down from the top to position the tow hook with the front fascia set back in place.
  • I used larger/strong magnets to hold the hook on the bumper and then used wedges on the outside to postion it where I wanted
  • Marked it with tape and then took the bumper support off.
  • Drilled and bolted the hook...check postion on car again
  • Welded the hook and then cut the excess threads off the bolts and painted the bolts and the welds.
  • Installed front Fascia.
I decided to put my hook closer to the center so it doesn't stick out as much and is not a shin killer. I have multiple tow straps, clevis and hooks from offroading days and I can get all of them on the hook in this position with no problem.

Matt
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Nice write up Matt. What bolts/length did you use to get them all the way through the reinforcement?

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksynergy View Post
Nice write up Matt. What bolts/length did you use to get them all the way through the reinforcement?
Thanks. The hook from JDP came with the bolts, nuts and washers....I would guess they were 4" ?? I think I cut about 3/4 to and 1" of threads off after the fact.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Thanks, we are actually going with a different type of hook, I'll show you later, but I'm going to have it installed the day the car arrives at the dealer. I'm in good with the bodyshop, due to my work, and they agreed to pull the front bumper off for the splitter install and then I can install our "hook".

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Nice write up! I'm sure this will help a lot of people. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksynergy View Post
Thanks, we are actually going with a different type of hook, I'll show you later, but I'm going to have it installed the day the car arrives at the dealer. I'm in good with the bodyshop, due to my work, and they agreed to pull the front bumper off for the splitter install and then I can install our "hook".
I would like to see it...

For the rear I plan on using a soft strap from Safe Quip. I might use the a hole behind the lic plate area to access it while on track (leave the plate off and hide it while on the street)...I will have to modify the high density foam behind it to access it.

We just got another 6-8" of snow so it is not in in the works just yet.

Matt
Old 03-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
Buffman
1LE FTW

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
Nice write up!
Buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #8
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Back from the dead.

If anyone local wants this front bumper with tow hook welded on I am willing to make a trade. Your stock good condition bumper plus $40 for mine with tow hook. Will not ship, local only. If this works for you let me know.

Thx Matt
Old 02-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
I've seen many tow hooks on P.O.S. cars. No need, thanks!
My 1 of 1 Bumblebee: Paint=House of Kolor Sunrise. Shaved door handles and concept handles added. Shark fin removed, concept mirrors, Showstoppers concept LED side marker lights. Wiper blades removed, muffler delete, and Range AFM disable. BMR springs lowered 1" rear and 1.4" front and added Eibach wheel spacers - 20mm rear and 25mm front.
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #10
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
OP, the entire tow hook hole should be visible beyond the grill opening.
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #11
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
He did it that way cause he uses that belt like strap in post #6 to be towed.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #12
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarodriver2 View Post
I've seen many tow hooks on P.O.S. cars. No need, thanks!
Thanks for the response. For those of us that actually track out cars it is there for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
OP, the entire tow hook hole should be visible beyond the grill opening.
On a race car yes, this car is only used for open track days when I instruct. I tested the hook placement before it was mounted permanently. It can be used by any type of hook at the track. I did not want it sticking out further and bashing shins of passerby.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #13
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
He did it that way cause he uses that belt like strap in post #6 to be towed.
The belt strap is actually mounted to the rear bumper. Exposed on track days and hidden behind the plate when not in use.

Matt

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364406
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #14
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Thanks for the response. For those of us that actually track out cars it is there for a reason.

On a race car yes, this car is only used for open track days when I instruct. I tested the hook placement before it was mounted permanently. It can be used by any type of hook at the track. I did not want it sticking out further and bashing shins of passerby.
Sorry! I know...just poking fun with my Camaro brothers. Wish I could track mine....too much invested in paint to do it.
My 1 of 1 Bumblebee: Paint=House of Kolor Sunrise. Shaved door handles and concept handles added. Shark fin removed, concept mirrors, Showstoppers concept LED side marker lights. Wiper blades removed, muffler delete, and Range AFM disable. BMR springs lowered 1" rear and 1.4" front and added Eibach wheel spacers - 20mm rear and 25mm front.
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote