Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #379
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
How about that

Full day at VIR on OEM pads, RB fronts and OEM rears and everything feels fine.

First time doing passing anywhere on the track with a point-by. Kinda different getting passed in a corner (not on this video).

http://youtu.be/439MnubpBjA

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #380
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Nice video, good hear you have no problems with the brake setup you have especially considering the power you make and speeds you were carrying.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #381
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Nice video, good hear you have no problems with the brake setup you have especially considering the power you make and speeds you were carrying.
Can't believe the OEM pads did better than the Hawk DTC-30s. Ah well. Live and learn

I was a little worried in the big braking zones at the end of the straights and started braking earlier than I would normally have (using OEM pads) earlier this year.

Looking forward to getting the Cobalt Friction pads on and trying the same track in a few weeks.

Found out yesterday that VIR is undergoing renovations from December to March. They are (finally) paving the paddock. But they are also repaving the full course including widening some corners (apparently some of the big-league racing folks have been on them about this). Gonna have to re-learn the whole track next spring.

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #382
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Are they capping off the renovations with a new oak tree?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #383
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
Can't believe the OEM pads did better than the Hawk DTC-30s. Ah well. Live and learn
There is some guy that has been saying the OEM brake pads for the SS and CTS-V are pretty good, but I can't remeber his name
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #384
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Are they capping off the renovations with a new oak tree?
Good question. I doubt it. That corner is all screwed up now. Flag station that used to be inside the corner right by the tree is gone, with a new flag station OUTSIDE the corner, most of the way through. So instead of being able to keep an eye on the tree to know where the inside apex is and see the flag workers at the same time, now you have no visual anchor for the corner AND in the middle of the turn while you are getting everything lined up the flag station appears on the wrong side of the track. I dunno, maybe I'll get used to it. But since they took the flag station out of the inside corner I doubt they'll put a tree in there...

Old 10-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #385
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324643

for those that are following this thread and are partial to 6 pot calipers
Old 10-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #386
SSSoon

Damn it I think the rotors are starting to warp again.

Am at VIR for a day and this is after 2nd run out. Starting to show signs of uneven streaking, which I think it warping.

This is while using the Cobalt Friction XR2/XR4 setup.

No major shudder yet but I thought I felt something odd this last run. Sure hope I am wrong.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #387
Synner

Drives: cars
Have you done brake ducts yet? Stock 4-pistons?
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #388
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Have you done brake ducts yet? Stock 4-pistons?
OEM 4-piston calipers.

Brake ducts are on my list for a winter upgrade.

Did a few more runs and the streaking is a little worse but not much. Did not get any major sort of pulsing on braking, so maybe nothing is warped. Dunno. I might see if I can check for warping with a straight edge.

I am wondering if it might actually be uneven pad deposit from ABS kicking in. Hot pads + momentary lockup with ABS = maybe?

Old 10-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #389
Synner

Are you feeling the ABS kicking in a lot? If so you'll need to modulate your brake pedal more to avoid it. Although I think the issue is likely heat. Definitely do the ducts. If that doesn't help then you're probably at the limits of what the stock size rotor/pad can do. I'm surprised you haven't cooked your seals yet with the pad pics you posted.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #390
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Are you feeling the ABS kicking in a lot? If so you'll need to modulate your brake pedal more to avoid it. Although I think the issue is likely heat. Definitely do the ducts. If that doesn't help then you're probably at the limits of what the stock size rotor/pad can do. I'm surprised you haven't cooked your seals yet with the pad pics you posted.
ABS is not kicking in a lot, no. I think I am pretty good at modulating the brakes, but occasionally I think I do feel it.

Last time I swapped the pads I felt around the pistons and it didn't feel as though anything was cracked or ripped. How can you tell if the seals are cooked?

Thanks man

Pete

Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #391
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
The bellows on the seal will look like it just came off a BBQ.

Go to RB Racing's web site and look at their replacement seals they have a picture.

You maybe have two solutions to your problem. Either upgrade to better brakes ie. 6 piston Brembo (CTS-V/ZL1) swap, wait for what RB has coming or rebuild your calipers with their pistons that will keep things cooler.

There is a guy on here selling a Yellow CTS-V set up at a fair price.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #392
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
ABS is not kicking in a lot, no. I think I am pretty good at modulating the brakes, but occasionally I think I do feel it.

Last time I swapped the pads I felt around the pistons and it didn't feel as though anything was cracked or ripped. How can you tell if the seals are cooked?

Thanks man

Pete
They'll looked dried out, crusty, with some cracking; kinda like weatherstripping on a 60's car that hasn't been replaced. You can have weeping fluid and soft brakes if they get real bad. I got the CTSV setup, ZL1 rotors, lines, and pads for about 1350 plus coating costs if you are willing to put in some part number searching and piece it together yourself. The RB calipers will be a good option but I like the multitude of pad options present with an OEM caliper setup. I don't like proprietary sized anything when it comes to consumables. RB has the upgraded stainless pistons/seals for the CTSV's as well if you ever manage to cook them. I'll be putting in my own brake ducts next week.