Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #29
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I bought a thing called a battery doctor for around $35.00 and it works great.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #30
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd-camaro View Post
suggestions...

i am pulling my battery for the winter and keeping it in my house.

which would be better the JR or the Plus...
As I recall the only difference is the amp/hr capacity, the jr. being less and the difference isn't much.

If this is true, then the only practical difference this translates to is the plus would take a little less time to charge a dead battery, which is what a battery tender is suppose to be preventing.

Go with the jr save a few bucks.......

and buy me a beer for the advice.

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #31
Total_Perf_Eng

Drives: Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Total_Perf_Eng
Personally, I dont ever use the battery tender. Alot of guys swap out to the Optima battery in these cars, and the tender doesnt work as well (if at all) with them.
GM just signed up with a company C-Tek. This company is now the official battery tender (not the brand) for their C6 Corvette Line. Its even an option at the dealer. We've been using them for years, and their AWESOME. Its about 50 bucks, and worth every penny.

If your heart isnt set on the Battery Tender, take a look at the CTEK. You wont be disappointed.

http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/home/Default.aspx
Total_Perf_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #32
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Whatever you do you don't want to keep a regular battery charger on. A Battery Tender or a Battery Sentinel like the one I use is a floating trickle charger. While it will charge a run-down battery given enough time, it's main purpose is to maintain a constant charge on a good battery. It will charge until the battery reaches 14.4V, then go into 'float' mode, which essentially disconnects it until the battery drops to 12.5V, then reconnects until it again reaches 14.4V.

http://www.ineedparts.com/tools-and-...lt-3-amp-.html

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #33
yuioutta

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS M6
+ 1 for the CTEK. I have tried several, but in the end CTEK worked best for me and it won't kill an Optima battery. Good luck
yuioutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #34
rd-camaro

Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod View Post
As I recall the only difference is the amp/hr capacity, the jr. being less and the difference isn't much.

If this is true, then the only practical difference this translates to is the plus would take a little less time to charge a dead battery, which is what a battery tender is suppose to be preventing.

Go with the jr save a few bucks.......

and buy me a beer for the advice.

thanks just order a JR! hahaha hope you like Molson Canadian because thats all i got in my fridge
Corsa Catback, Injen Wrinkle Black Short Ram Intake, 8000k BI XENON Bulbs, LED Fog Bulbs, RX Oil Catch Can, VMax Black Ice-olater, CNC spiral ported Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, BBK LT Ceramic Silver Headers

TEAM LLT

Ordered: June 2009
Born: September 2009
Delivered: October 2009
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #35
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
>>hope you like Molson Canadian

that works !

to you!

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #36
rd-camaro

Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod View Post
>>hope you like Molson Canadian

that works !

to you!

hahahaha cheers!
Corsa Catback, Injen Wrinkle Black Short Ram Intake, 8000k BI XENON Bulbs, LED Fog Bulbs, RX Oil Catch Can, VMax Black Ice-olater, CNC spiral ported Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, BBK LT Ceramic Silver Headers

TEAM LLT

Ordered: June 2009
Born: September 2009
Delivered: October 2009
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #37
TxPlates

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I don't drive mine much either, and I had mine towed back to the dealer when it wouldn't start, was a defective battery. They replaced it and it's been fine ever since, and it still sits long periods of time.
TxPlates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #38
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Ok, I got my Battery Tender this week from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I also bought an extension cable for it:
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...xgy_auto_img_b

We connected the "quick connect harness" (with the 2 round ends on the leads) to the positive terminal under the hood and the other end on the tab at the base of the positive terminal (it has a hole in it and you can put a bolt through it to make a solid connection).

As I have a terminal cover, I didn't want to mess with the alligator clips and I could hide the quick connect wire out of site when not in use. Now I have a harness ready to connect the Battery Tender easily any time.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #39
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Thumbs up

I found a Schumacher Battery Maintainer for $20.94 at Wal-Mart the other day.

It has Multi-Stage Charging, Float Mode Monitoring, Automatic Voltage Detection, Reverse Connection Protection, LED Indicators, Battery Clip Cable, and even a Ring Terminal Cable(quick connect).

Heard good things about this from guys at work who have used it and they recommend it.

INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #40
louiecvt

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I use a CTEK 3300 for my vette. I just plug it into the cigarette lighter and works just fine .
louiecvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #41
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiecvt View Post
I use a CTEK 3300 for my vette. I just plug it into the cigarette lighter and works just fine .
I don't believe that will work on the Camaro because, I believe the power to the lighter gets disconnected when you open the door after the key is turned off.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #42
afireinside
Firefighter/Medic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3 IOM, 2008 Z71
I bought this:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=13005742
I installed it next to the battery in the trunk and I re-installed everything ontip (trunk liner ect)

will heat generation be a worry?

Mods: LSR Sway Bars, LSR Short throw shifter, MPD1 spoiler, Heritage Grille, 5% Limo tint
afireinside is offline   Reply With Quote