Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
bwpaint

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Insurance after performance upgrades

Hey guys, wondering how some of you are handling (or not handling) supplemental/additional insurance after you do performance modifications. From what I am reading, insurance can be available for our cars after upgrades, but of course this is not going to be cheap and I imagine many are just going without insurance to cover the cost if something were to happen. My wife and I have his and hers 2010 SS's and we are adding Turbos to each along with some other additions that is going to get over 25K. We already have some other modifications done such as CIA, exhaust, stereo, etc. So as you can see, the upgrades are really getting up there in value. My SS was subject to a smash and grab this weekend at the grocery store, so this got me seriously thinking about insurance on the existing upgrades as well as future upgrades.

So I would like to hear anyone's experience or thoughts on the the issue of insuring such upgrades....thanks in advance guys and gals!
Fastlane Turbo, PFADTCoilovers, PFADT Trailing Arms, PFADT Differential Bushings, Borla ATAKs, Cam, Duece Fuel Pump, Aux Transmission Cooler, Circle D 3200 Torque Converter, Circle D Transmission Upgrade, Under Pulley, Dyno'd at 615 RWTQ @ 12psi
11' Rear Tires, Nittos NT05Rs
Double-Din with Pioneer CD/Stereo/GPS

64.5 Ford Mustang
Ford F-350
2006 Honda GoldWing
1992 Harley-Davidson Softtail Custom
www.webwize.com
www.webwizebackup.com
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
if you were just doing basic bolt ons - I'd tell you not to bother. the OEM replacement parts typically cost more then the aftermarket parts.

but now that you are going FI.. that is another story entirely. I would definitely explore insuring the vehicles at a higher dollar value. sorry I don't have any direct input as to how to do it, but just wanted to reaffirm that your brain is on the right path.

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Chobbs11
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro LS
That is an excellent question! If they stole your stereo I'm sure the insurance would only cover the cost of the factory set up, etc...
Chobbs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
I know with progressive you have to go to a 'stated value' of the car. They will insure the car for what you state it's worth....but it's pretty expensive insurance when you do that.
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwpaint View Post
Hey guys, wondering how some of you are handling (or not handling) supplemental/additional insurance after you do performance modifications. From what I am reading, insurance can be available for our cars after upgrades, but of course this is not going to be cheap and I imagine many are just going without insurance to cover the cost if something were to happen. My wife and I have his and hers 2010 SS's and we are adding Turbos to each along with some other additions that is going to get over 25K. We already have some other modifications done such as CIA, exhaust, stereo, etc. So as you can see, the upgrades are really getting up there in value. My SS was subject to a smash and grab this weekend at the grocery store, so this got me seriously thinking about insurance on the existing upgrades as well as future upgrades.

So I would like to hear anyone's experience or thoughts on the the issue of insuring such upgrades....thanks in advance guys and gals!
Don't ask... don't tell.

Turbo's/Superchargers = High Rates!!!

Last edited by INTIMIDAT3R; 11-21-2010 at 09:52 PM.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
Don't ask... don't tell.

Turbo's/superchargers = High Rates!!!

+1 and some companies will not insure the car if they know it is performance modified.
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Just take your chances and salvage what you can after a wreck.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
clint

Drives: 2010 2SS
as far as stereo upgrades, with State Farm you can get extra coverage for the stereo. With my trailblazer SS I added $3500 for the stereo and it was very cheap to add it. I learned my lesson after the Kenwood Excelon double din head unit was stolen and they would only give me $1200 to cover the factory head unit (lucky it came with navigation originally).
clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
guzaldon

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS Camaro
I got state farm, when I asked about the stereo on my other car they said if its bolted to the car and you have pictures they will cover it. Never tested it lucky so far. This was with 2 12" elcispe titianums and a 15" alluminum with some planet addio amps and eclispe head unit was in question with the adjuster standing there looking at it. So I took picks of the gear and how it was bolted to the car. That's stereo though bolt ons I would day keep the proof of purchase price and lot of pictures if you don't talk to them about it. They might let you get away with it the first time. Just remember you get what you pay for and can prove. Just my 2 cents
guzaldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
robsls3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzaldon View Post
I got state farm, when I asked about the stereo on my other car they said if its bolted to the car and you have pictures they will cover it. Never tested it lucky so far. This was with 2 12" elcispe titianums and a 15" alluminum with some planet addio amps and eclispe head unit was in question with the adjuster standing there looking at it. So I took picks of the gear and how it was bolted to the car. That's stereo though bolt ons I would day keep the proof of purchase price and lot of pictures if you don't talk to them about it. They might let you get away with it the first time. Just remember you get what you pay for and can prove. Just my 2 cents
I would read the policy closer. I have statefarm and yes every mod is reported to be coverd on my cars. I did it for all of mine as I dont want to take a chance again on a loss. I lost out in 95 for aftermarket stuff from a uninsured motorist accident. Statefarm only coverd OEM and reported aftermarket parts. My dumbass forgot to report half of the mods done at the time so I lost out after loss.

My new current rep when he seen my 2k TA explained and showed me in my policy if a wreck I would lose due to not reporting the aftermarket parts. This includes sound systems from theft. I had to have the vehicle inspected and have a base value of all parts plus my car priced out to be coverd.

My buddy with allstate wrecked his WS6 with a supercharger on it. Allstate didnt cover the car or him due to him not reporting the car was supercharged. It isnt worth it to run that risk.
robsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
CamaroFTW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS-Rally Yellow
Send a message via MSN to CamaroFTW
I have at least 40K in mods and just going to take my chances. If I wreak or get ripped off I guess my loss. I have Allstate and they don't like to insure hot rods..lol
CamaroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
louiecvt

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Look into Grundy insurance. They specialize in collector cars but I know someone called them after doing modifications to their SS. They told him to provide receipts from all work done and covers the modifications as well. From what I remember it wasn't a llot of money
louiecvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiecvt View Post
Look into Grundy insurance. They specialize in collector cars but I know someone called them after doing modifications to their SS. They told him to provide receipts from all work done and covers the modifications as well. From what I remember it wasn't a llot of money
+1 on considering Grundy. It's specialty coverage, so they are used to unusual set ups. Generally not much restriction on use, depending on the policy.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #14
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Just take your chances and salvage what you can after a wreck.
+1
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote