Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Once again, battery talk

I have decided not to go with an ultra light battery to save weight (though I won't mind if I get a battery weighing a little less). It is just not something I need to do for how I use my car. I searched old threads for info on different battery brands & what I found was old info, possibly outdated. My search did not pull up any recent threads (though there may be some) except for the one where we were talking about weight saving in batteries). I started searching on line for different batteries available for our cars & all I got was confused. Newby help needed again.

It every place you look seems to have their own brand. Some of them may be made by the same places & just re-branded. There is a wide range in prices. I don't want to over pay but also don't want to cheap out. I want a reliable battery that can take the wide range of temps from very cold winters to very hot summers, we have in Tennessee and be able to handle sitting for some stretches in the winter (though we try to start our cars & let them run a while periodically). I also don't want to be replacing my battery every time you turn around. You tend to get what you pay for but no need in paying the highest price for the same thing you can get elsewhere for less. What say you guys?
Old 06-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Consumer Reports consistently rates Walmart brand EverStart batteries as a best buy. They perform very well in performance evals and their cost is always vey good.

Our car would take an EverStart Platinum AGM H7 for $164.86 (price may vary). This will double your likely battery life and has free installation.

Or you can be like me and take the old battery out of your car yourself (or hubby can) take it to Walmart and swap it for a new battery. That way you can be sure to get a fresh one (date of manufacture is stamped on top) and be sure it's done right- although there's not much to mess up on a battery install, I'm just that way!

P.S. They offer a cheaper H7 version- but it's just $20 cheaper, you want the AGM (absorbed glass mat)!

Last edited by Ventmaster; 06-22-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Superfly1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT #2197
I put a DieHard Gold AGM in mine when the original one died. It was about $190 if I remember correctly. It is a little more powerful that factory. Been pretty happy with it so far. You do get what you pay for with batteries in my opinion.

CAI intake | OBX LT Headers | Flowmaster AT Exhaust | Trifecta Tune | SS Rear Diff, Axles & Driveshaft
Zex 100 Shot Nitrous | Konig Airstrike Wheels | Custom Engine Cover, Fuse Box & Underhood Bowtie
Eibach Springs & SS Sway Bars
| BMR Strut Brace | Drake Shifter | Vitesse Paddles | 13.26 @ 105.88 mph
Superfly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
My OEM AC Delco is 6 yrs old and shows no sign of slowing down.
I will replace with the same OEM battery when the time comes.

I have gotten 9 yrs out of Delco batteries in previous cars. If it ain't broke
don't fix it ( or change brands).

Last edited by TooCool5; 06-24-2015 at 01:15 PM.
TooCool5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
My Oem has lasted me 6 years as well. I normally don't change what isn't broken...however the 17 lb braille battery has good reviews and weighs a good amount less.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
My Oem has lasted me 6 years as well. I normally don't change what isn't broken...however the 17 lb braille battery has good reviews and weighs a good amount less.
Only had a problem once with mine. That was when I turned all the electronics on in the car and left it on while I was swapping driveshafts and had to keep rotating it....dam auto cars

Even then the battery never actually died, voltage just dropped below optimal operating lvls. Hooked it up to a tender to charge it back up and has been fine ever since
Old 06-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I just worry because the way batteries go these days they give no warning; just all of a sudden the car just won't start. I just don't want to end up stuck someplace. I'll have it checked & may hold off for a while then.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #8
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
I replace my battery every 3 years out hear. They don't last much longer than that of you use a quality one, plus I don't like pushing this big car to start it....

Interstate is worth the money

Duracell took a dive when they changed to Mexico (they don't last long out here for the money)

Had good luck with the delco (coming up on 3 years)

Duralast GOLD. We used those a lot at the shop back in Ohio with good results.

Gotta change mine out this fall. It will be a interstate or ac delco. What ever one of the two is a better price is what I'm gonna buy.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:04 AM   #9
Black Knight

Drives: Supercharged LLT
I went with the Braille 21lb it's got 720 CA ,stock got 900 I belive. Haven't had a problem and It's not my daily driver
Old 06-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #10
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
I just replaced my battery about a month ago and went with an Interstate Battery. I have always used Interstate when my factory batteries crap out and I have always been very happy with their performance.
I went with the Interstate Battery MTP-97R/H7 and it wasn't cheap but I feel I made the right choice.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:44 PM   #11
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
Ruby, the Batt. in our camaro is Hugh, has a lot of Current around 900 amps, and is heavy, around 45 pounds, I was thinking of getting a smaller Batt (at least for the summer) around 600 amps ( I found one thats 25 pounds). you can always put the original back when the weather gets colder. Always had good luck with Walmart Batteries.
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:16 PM   #12
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Jan, I have a Duralast Gold battery in mine from Autozone. The Gold batteries offer a 3 year free replacement and 2 year prorate. The majority of car batteries are made by Johnson controls. However, they make them to different specs depending on the company. Autozone has very high standards on their batteries. Also, keep in mind Autozone will price match others as long as it's a similar product with the same warranty. So, if you find one for less somewhere like Wal-Mart, they will match it.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote