Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Steve1968LS2

Drives: 1968 LS2 powered - Bad Penny
Just did suspension, blower and brakes..

Well, we've gone into overdrive on our 2010 Camaro SS project car since we want it mostly done, performance wise, by SEMA. Still a lot to do, but this is at least a good start.

First up was installing a DSE suspension kit. It was super easy to bolt on (except removing the front factory sway bar.. ack!) and we didn't even need a spring compressor. Car feels much better now and far less "wallowy" (is that a word?). It also looks better with the drop and we have zero problems with driveways and bumps.

Next up was the biggie.. the Magnacharger. This was done on a bone stock engine, we even kept the paper filter. We also did it to pass California smog and run on our craptastic 91 octane gas. In other words it was a very conservative tune.

The final pull ended up being 472 rwhp and 451 rwtq. Later we will try a cam and a few other "outside CA" modifications. As for the blower it feels great, more like it just has a higher displacement engine rather than a blower. The power comes on gradually and not "all at once". I think it would be good for a car that does track duty. Dropping into third on the freeway is a blast now and in sixth you wouldn't even know it's there. I was very impressed and I think one will end up on my car.. maybe soon.

BUT, we did find one limitation.. the stock clutch. Decided to try launching from a stop.. not a huge clutch dump, but fairly aggressive. Well.. the clutch bid this life farewell in a hail of smoke and nasty smells.. it's toast. We can still drive the car, just not hard since slips like crazy now.

We called Centerforce and as soon as we told them we put on the blower they said "so, have you blown the clutch yet?" I guess they've had this happen already. A new 2010 dual friction clutch is on the way and I will put it in on Wednesday so we can still make it to Buttonwillow raceway on Friday.

Friday the Camaro got new Baer 6S brakes.. the 15" rotors are crazy big and the calipers are insanely big. The install took all of an hour and a half over at Best Of Show.. it really was that easy to do and that included bleeding them out. Right now I'm bedding in and seasoning them but so far they feel great and look great behind the factory wheels. In a couple weeks we will have our new Boze Forged wheels and 275 front/315 rear NT05 tires..

The storys will run over the next few months. Also going to remove the sticker stripes and paint something subtle on the car. Does it ever end? lol

1968 Camaro - 461 RHS LS 700hp, various stuff, called Bad Penny
1968 Camaro - In progress, called Track Rat
2010 Camaro - DSE Suspension, Baer 6S Brakes, Boze Wheels, Nitto NT05 Tires, JBA Exhaust and long tubes, Magnacharger TVS, 660rwhp Forged Eagle 416 LS3 short block, ADM fuel system, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, G-Force axles, Anvil and Seibon CF parts, Centerforce Dual-Disc Clutch

www.fquick.com/steve1968ls2
Steve1968LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Speed 1

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro 365 days a year
Old 09-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Sounds like a very impressive build.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
carriagehousecustoms

Drives: 1ss american iron
Nice job Steve! Will you be installing Aluminum or steel flywheel? weights would be nice if you have them available.

Dave
carriagehousecustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Nice Steve...

Have you been thinking about a 5th Gen Penny to go with the original ??
Old 09-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
Steve1968LS2

Drives: 1968 LS2 powered - Bad Penny
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Nice Steve...

Have you been thinking about a 5th Gen Penny to go with the original ??
lol.. that would be cool.. but I doubt I could make it as fast unless I started with a Body In White.

Would look good in that orange though.

I might put the same blower on Penny though.. need a little "oomph" for the race in November.

1968 Camaro - 461 RHS LS 700hp, various stuff, called Bad Penny
1968 Camaro - In progress, called Track Rat
2010 Camaro - DSE Suspension, Baer 6S Brakes, Boze Wheels, Nitto NT05 Tires, JBA Exhaust and long tubes, Magnacharger TVS, 660rwhp Forged Eagle 416 LS3 short block, ADM fuel system, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, G-Force axles, Anvil and Seibon CF parts, Centerforce Dual-Disc Clutch

www.fquick.com/steve1968ls2
Steve1968LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Looking Good