Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #57
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
In my opinion I think it is best to cycle the top every so often to keep it operating properly. Anything mechanical left stationary for long periods of time can be worse than constant use. 30 years in maintenance and engineering has taught me that.. Seals in the pump and the rams can dry out and start leaking or worse they can rust or corrode and freeze up. We had emergency valves that would not operate after extended non use, and that is something that is not supposed to fail. I wouldn't go more than a month or two without operating the top.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 03-03-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #58
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
Just curious. My BMW vert had an automatic system that if you locked it with the fob with the top down, nothing would open it except the fob. Even if you got in, the glove boxes wouldn't open, nothing would turn on, none of the lock buttons or trunk buttons would work either.

Does the Camaro do anything similar?

I would try it but the weather here is crap. :(
When you lock the Camaro with the fob once the security system arms it kills all the inside buttons, you can still manually unlock it but the the security alarm goes off. There is no electronic lock on the glove compartment or console compartment so they could be opened, but you can lock the glove compartment with the key.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #59
amicucci

Drives: Bright Yellow 2015 SS Convertible
I agree that putting up the rear windows stops the top from rattling but I don't like the look. Has anyone tried the windscreen that goes behind the headrests to stop the top vibrating so much? I struggle with my hands so the tonneau cover off and on is somewhat of a pain, literally. The "16 top mechanism is awesome.
amicucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #60
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by amicucci View Post
I agree that putting up the rear windows stops the top from rattling but I don't like the look. Has anyone tried the windscreen that goes behind the headrests to stop the top vibrating so much? I struggle with my hands so the tonneau cover off and on is somewhat of a pain, literally. The "16 top mechanism is awesome.
Oh yes, the 16 top is awesome in its workings. I wish they would have thought of that earlier. Anyway, while it's nice, it's expensive. I believe that new SS convertible will list for close to 50K.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #61
Tom_T

Drives: 2013 Convertible /2SS/RS/LS3
Quote:
I have the windscreen and it works somewhat to keep the top from flapping but is not a cure all. It does though keep the wifes hair from flying around which is good.

Top down weather is finally here now for it to stop raining.
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #62
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
The windscreen is designed to block the backflow from the venturi created by air tumbling over the windshield. It does not block airflow from front to rear.

Your hands will do fine with the Velcro attachments on the interior cover.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #63
froglegs

Drives: 2011 Camaro convertible (yellow)
I leave the top down almost all the time while at home. I use a full size car cover top up AND top down. yeah, it looks dorky when the top is down, but it keeps the cats off and the dust out.
I never leave the top down when parked anywhere else that I cannot see it at all time. There are too many people that like to "touch" things. When I do park it somewhere with the top down, the windows are up and the door is locked. If someone reaches in to pop the door open, the security system goes off.
froglegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:35 PM   #64
keithp2783

Drives: 2014 1lt convertible rock red
Anywhere I can park my bike without being paranoid and either locking the bags or taking all valuables with me, I leave the top down. So biker bars and fish camps is cool, Walmart and golf courses not so much.
keithp2783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:43 AM   #65
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
As others have said, 10-20 mins okay, in nice area (which I live). And I too, believe in cycling the top keeps it in tip top order.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #66
aquaholic

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
I pay attention to where I park (thieves don't want to be seen), but I leave the top and windows down over 99% of the time. I try not to leave valuables out in the open, but have never had a problem. Been driving convertibles/jeeps for 30 years and the only theft was when they broke the window of the Jeep to get to the speakers (had the hard top on)...I drove that Jeep over 10 years the speakers only held in by bungee cords (I didn't want too much damage in case of theft), and they only stole them with the top on.
aquaholic is offline   Reply With Quote