Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-30-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
Kennyr

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS ordered
Unhappy 2012 Camaro Euro-spec

Update:

I have just recieved confirmation from Chevrolet Sweden that the car will look as the pictures show, posted in the links below, so now atleast its a fact. Now for a plan to get rid of those sideview mirrors...

Hey guys,

As you can see, this is my first post. I've browsed the forums quite abit the last few weeks, and finally decided to register.

Believe it or not, my eyes for the new 5th gen Camaro opened up through Hawaii 5-O. One thing led to another, after quite extensive research I decided to contact my local Chevy dealer and order a 2012 Camaro SS.

So far so good, until I found your thread concerning the Euro-spec facelift differences. These changes had not been communicated to me in any way, by anybody, chevy dealer included. I kind of, at the moment atleast, feel like I've bought something I don't want, since both the sideview mirrors and the taillights, no offense, look like crap. Above mentioned changes, in my opinion, completely change the feel & look of the car.

Check out this THREAD for PICTURES.

Now why am I posting? First off I'd appreciate any input you guys can give in terms of these changes being confirmed for Sweden. Since it's Euro-Spec I have assumed they are, but my dealer & Chevrolet have yet to confirm.

Secondly, if they are, is it possible to order the "original" sideview mirrors and taillights and switch them yourself?

Any thoughts / input is appreciated.

Oh and by the way, thanks for a great forum!

Regards

Kenny

Last edited by Kennyr; 08-08-2011 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Update:
Kennyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Kenny,

First off, welcome to C5!

Personally, I have to agree with you- the Euro adaptation parts are gawd-awful. I'm not sure how stringent the safety requirements are in Sweden, but I'm fairly certain that the Euro adaptation is only sold in regions that require it. I'd suggest asking your dealer about this, but frankly if you've been on C5 for more than 15 minutes, you probably know more about the car than your dealer does

As for the retrofit, crazier things have been done.

Keep us posted, and grats on your purchase!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
compuwiz1937

Drives: 2012 Corvette, 2007 STS
The doors look the same, so I'm sure you could buy the US mirrors and install them.
compuwiz1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
Nightfall
"To Punish And Enslave"

Drives: B E RS GBA #72541 3564 CC 220 CI
the rear lights are ok at least there led for once but them side veiw mirros HOLY CRAP!

i dont see why not you could order the orginal side veiw mirrors like we have

them tail lights eh i dont know dont even look like theres holes below the licnce plate for them to install into its just a soild bumper now

looking at it you could do a bumper swap have the 2011 bumper then install the tail lights but....

the taillights look like there a one peice blah its a tuff call lol basicly i think you can but you need ALOT of moding and swaping for 2011 or 2010 peices

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession
90% canadian 10% mexican 100% american muscle :flag2:
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
Not to go too off topic, but what are those little squares on the front and rear of the car? Right above the lower grill to the left (your left). The car still has the backup sensors in the back, so they cant be that can they?

Also just noticed that the car has RS headlights, but not painted roof ditches. I take it that the RS package is different over there?

2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metalic & Cyber Grey Stripes

My Homepage
http://titanic-model.com
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Not to go too off topic, but what are those little squares on the front and rear of the car? Right above the lower grill to the left (your left). The car still has the backup sensors in the back, so they cant be that can they?
Those squares cover the tie down hooks for shipping if you look here at cars built in outside of north america, they have them too.
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
R6P

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The squares on the fascias cover holes for vehicle tie down hooks during shipping.

Edit... cbrenthus be me to it. Yeah, what he said.

I'm more intrigued by the hibachi grill under the car.

Name:  camarolights2.jpg
Views: 3672
Size:  499.3 KB
Old 07-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Nightfall
"To Punish And Enslave"

Drives: B E RS GBA #72541 3564 CC 220 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post

Also just noticed that the car has RS headlights, but not painted roof ditches. I take it that the RS package is different over there?

no RS badgeing neather hmmm weird test bed cars

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession
90% canadian 10% mexican 100% american muscle :flag2:
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #9
Kurushio

Drives: 2011 CGM 1LT RS (M6)
Those side mirrors kinda just ruin the whole flow of the car. The tail lights are terrible as well and those pics just almost make me think it's a chinese knock off lol.
Kurushio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
B1G-AL

Drives: 09 Bullitt, 08 H3 Alpha, Ram SS/T
The tail lights don't look horrible, they almost resemble the bar-like tail lights of a 69. As everyone has said though, you should be able to change those mirrors to the North American ones so don't panic!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
dimster

Drives: Volvo V60 -12, 2SS/RS 45th EU edt.
I am going to order one on monday. Those side view mirrors are god awful .
Or as we swedes say shitasså....
Makes me seriously reconsider this....

EDIT: What is that square thingy hanging between the exhausts? almost at the diff?
dimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
@Kennyr:

Side mirrors can be changed, if you ask me (I've odered the "concept" ones on my car).
Tail lights is a different story, you'll have to change the rear to retrofit the US spec lights... (Still can't understand why those had to be changed...)

Sean_W: EU cars need emergency tow hooks, that's why they have the little squares.

Can't stress it enough, I'm GLAD I imported a US spec, and from what I can see, the tail lights and mirrors will be putting off a lot of people buying one... Sorry GM designers, but we Europeans do like a NICE car too, not a FUBARED one...
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
bthomp01

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
I'm guessing you'd be able to switch the sideview mirrors out, but the it looks like the tail lights are part of a completely different rear fascia. Where the normal tail lights have a split, those do not. And it looks like the lip under the license plate is different as well. If you REALLY wanted to go with the other tail lights, you'd probably need a whole new rear fascia at the least.

Matte Black Bumblebee Stripes - Unpainted Heritage Grille - Blacked Out Bowties - Stainless Works S-Tube Catback - CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake
Whiteline Rear Cradle, Rear Differential, Front Radius Rod Bushings - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Installed by Whiteside Customs

bthomp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
dimster

Drives: Volvo V60 -12, 2SS/RS 45th EU edt.
I can live with the rear-end. At least they are full LED. But the designers must have been smoking something when they designed the mirrors. I can't believe how ugly they are!
Anyone have any pictures on the interior?
dimster is offline   Reply With Quote