Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 12-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
texas law for windshield mount?

Hey all - I'm hoping a fellow knowledgeable Texan can help here. My wife was pulled over for doing 85 in a 80. We had a radar detector mounted to the windshield, but it was off (doh!). Anyway, the officer said that radar detectors are legal, but mounting it to the windshield is illegal and told us to remove it....I wanted to call B.S. on that, but wisely kept my mouth shut. I've been searching, but can't seem to find the law on this. I found something on a site that said anything mounted to a windshield that obstructs vision is illegal (which then gives the officer judgement call on vision obstruction). Anyone know the law on this?

Btw - she luckily got off with a speed warning.....and not to rant, but why does a 5 over with light traffic and going the same speed as traffic warrant a pull over....but yet on a daily basis I nearly get run off the road from idiots texting and driving....but no law to stop that crap
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Spike III Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
Hey all - I'm hoping a fellow knowledgeable Texan can help here. My wife was pulled over for doing 85 in a 80. We had a radar detector mounted to the windshield, but it was off (doh!). Anyway, the officer said that radar detectors are legal, but mounting it to the windshield is illegal and told us to remove it....I wanted to call B.S. on that, but wisely kept my mouth shut. I've been searching, but can't seem to find the law on this. I found something on a site that said anything mounted to a windshield that obstructs vision is illegal (which then gives the officer judgement call on vision obstruction). Anyone know the law on this?

Btw - she luckily got off with a speed warning.....and not to rant, but why does a 5 over with light traffic and going the same speed as traffic warrant a pull over....but yet on a daily basis I nearly get run off the road from idiots texting and driving....but no law to stop that crap
Most states have the law your talking about. Any thing up on the dash or affixed to the windshield that obstructs the clear view out the front window is illegal. And that goes 4 anything hanging on the rear view mirror.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
TX_ED_SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
I'm not aware of how the law reads in TX, and it may just be a judgement call by the officer. What really gets me are those yahoo's that have a 10 inch portable GPS stuck to the middle of their windshield. Those have to be a much bigger distraction than a radar detector.

U.S. Army Retired
TX_ED_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6
I was told by the officer when I got my warning ticket for not having a front plate last summer, that a mount on the windshield was illegal. But I have heard different stories that make me think its an officer and a judge's call if you make it to court.

Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Chrisrp454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
I got a warning ticket because my license plate frame was partially obstructing the state name Texas. This was a citation by a state trooper. He never mentioned or saw that I did not have a front license plate and said nothing of my radar mounted on the windshield. I think each cop has their own law fixation.
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
The important thing to remember is they can pull you over and write a ticket for almost anything. It is then up to you to go to court and prove them wrong. Thus wasting your time and chance losing if the judge interprets the law like the officer. Best bet is to not give them a reason to pull you over. That being said I run the hide away plate holder and have been pulled over a few times for no front plate. Fortunately,up to now, I have been allowed to pull it out and gotten warnings.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
John E

Drives: 2014 2SS rs 6M
Do not give them a reason as prescribed above. In Texas you are at the officers mercy or lack there of it. Go Spurs.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
eymang

here you go http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.547.htm

Sec. 547.613. RESTRICTIONS ON WINDOWS. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor:
(1) if the person operates a motor vehicle that has an object or material that is placed on or attached to the windshield or side or rear window and that obstructs or reduces the operator's clear view;
Old 01-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
SSeric

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
Go Spurs.
w00t!
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS | RotoFab CAI | ARH 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ HFC | SW Retro Exhaust | ZL1 Shifter | Ridetech Coilovers | FE4 conversion | UMI toe rods & trailing arms | Prothane Subframe & UCA bushings | Detroit Speed sways | Forgestar F14 wheels | ZR1 Blue Calipers | Tuned by ADM Performance

SSeric's Build Thread
SSeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
BlueSteele

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The obvious solution is to mount the radar detector behind the inspection or registration sticker. That way if it is "obstructing the view" you could argue that the sticker would be classifed as doing this as well.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #11
eymang

After researching the law I decided to reroute/mount my radar detector using a case logic visor mount CD case I had.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #12
Matt@510
Account Suspended

Drives: c6 vette cam & full bolt-ons
Quote:
Originally Posted by eymang View Post
After researching the law I decided to reroute/mount my radar detector using a case logic visor mount CD case I had.

interesting idea? do they not have mounts that for the camaro that mount these directly to the mirror? they make mounts for the c6 vettes that mount detector right up against bottom of mirror and you even power it from the mirror.
Matt@510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #13
imafish82

Drives: 67 camaro ss, 13 camaro 1ss,
i was pulled over back in may of 06 and had one mounted at the bottom of my windshield in the middle still got tagged, i topped a hill and dps topped a hill coming at me and the detector didnt go off until i saw him and his lights came on at the same time. i pulled it off and put it in my console and the officer asked what i just took off the dash i told him it was a radar detecor and he asked why i took it off. told him it obviously didnt work he proceeded to give me a speeding ticket for 7 over. never said it was illegel having it mounted where i had it. thats the last time i have used a radar detector. i still have it sitting in the rear floorboard of my 67 which is parked due to a blown head gasket or cracked head
imafish82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 AM   #14
eymang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@510 View Post
interesting idea? do they not have mounts that for the camaro that mount these directly to the mirror? they make mounts for the c6 vettes that mount detector right up against bottom of mirror and you even power it from the mirror.
I tried mounting at the mirror but because it sits so low it blocks my view at times. Another problem is the detector is in plain sight. It may confirm to the some cops that you are going around intentionally speeding. Also, there has been times where I have been out and forgot to remove it.