Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2014, 06:14 AM   #1
ucla81

Drives: '15 2LT, RS, wht, black striping
Pirelli P Zero Tires - I know this has been asked a lot....

I've done my research and looked at Forums, but I cannot find a definitive answer to a question asked many times. So I will keep it simple.

I have a 2015 2LT. I would never drive it in snow or ice. Manual says "does not recommend driving in near freezing temps." (which can be interpreted many ways).

So: During routine city/burb driving, within speed limits (not racing or hard turns or flooring it), what is the real danger to me or others, using these summer tires when temps are in the 20s or 30s, or 30s with rain? Tire blowout? No traction? Slide all over? Loss of control? Aside from more wear on the tire, what exactly is the danger? Or, is it basically OK to drive them in those weather conditions?

I don't want to get a 2nd set of tires for several reasons, mainly I have no garage or place to store them. If the bottom line answer is it is dangerous to drive in those conditions, I would rather switch to a compatible all-weather tire. Thanks to those that help me with this.
ucla81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
It will be dangerous to drive in those temps with "any" summer tires. They get hard, get very poor traction and will not do well in any type of heavy rain or light snow.

I think we all understand having a hard time of storing an extra set of tires, but maybe a friend could store them for you. Look into a much better all season tire for the winter months, especially those you will see in WV. Look at the Continental DSW's. Many reviews of them in the tire section.

Also, welcome to the forum!!
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
ucla81

Thanks for the welcome. Continental BSW's. Is that their exact name? I know nothing about tires; the sides of the Pirellis I think say 275/40ZR20 (or something like that). If I get a different brand all-weather, must the new tires have that same tire coding on the side in order to be compatible? Thx.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
In my area, Massachusetts, there's an independent tire store (chain of only 3 locations) that will store seasonal tires for you. Maybe you will find the same in your area if you look around.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
ucla81

Thanks for the feedback folks! Keep it coming!!!

For me, drive to/from work a lot, around town and in country where I live. While I like am aggressive onramp and passing capability, I am not using it for racing or abrupt maneuvers in any way.

Given that, 2 questions:

First, why would Camaro owners like me (not racing or even close to it) have 2 sets of tires, rather than one really good comfortable set of all-weather tires?

Second question: Probably 90% of this country is subject to freezing temps and/or snow of some degree. Why would ford build a Camaro with summer-only tires as standard equipment when most Americans have snow to deal with? I can understand it on the Corvette perhaps, but a V6 Camaro? What are they thinking?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #6
SoChrisB

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
My car is only driven in good weather, as I have a "winter beater". There is definitely a loss of traction and control if I take it out on any cold day. I had it out yesterday and just punched it to get around someone in traffic and lost traction. Mind you, the outside temperature was less than 20 degrees.
Two sets of tires, one for all season for winter and fall, and the other set for spring and summer.
GM was thinking of the ultimate driveability of the car and summer or "performance" tires allow such. Plus, factory tires on any car are garbage, for the most part.
SoChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
F-16 Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
Continental Extreme DWS are excellent tires for year round driving. And yes, they should match the tire size that you already have, but there is "some" wiggle room on that.
F-16 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
NC_Nole

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla81 View Post
Thanks for the feedback folks! Keep it coming!!!

For me, drive to/from work a lot, around town and in country where I live. While I like am aggressive onramp and passing capability, I am not using it for racing or abrupt maneuvers in any way.

Given that, 2 questions:

First, why would Camaro owners like me (not racing or even close to it) have 2 sets of tires, rather than one really good comfortable set of all-weather tires?

Second question: Probably 90% of this country is subject to freezing temps and/or snow of some degree. Why would ford build a Camaro with summer-only tires as standard equipment when most Americans have snow to deal with? I can understand it on the Corvette perhaps, but a V6 Camaro? What are they thinking?
1) For you, a single set of good all season tires would probably be the best solution.

2) Ford doesn't build the Camaro.
NC_Nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
ucla81

Oops! Did I say Ford? lol must have been thinking about my old Mustang lol...
Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
It is ok to drive in the upper 30s and 40s in DRY weather days but once the rain and snow hit you will lose all traction and will be stuck. I still drive mine with the P zeros on but only on dry days and with the nannies on and I don't do dumb things to make me lose control of the car. I would recommend an all season tire of you plan on driving in the cold.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
I drove mine into the 20's. As long as you realize your traction is lessened, you should be fine. I drove 2 years in a 2LT and 1 year in a 2SS with them. NO SNOW, they are horrible in the snow, and ice.

If you are careful, I do not believe you will have a problem.

Just my opinion.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
spotticus

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
I can speak from experience... I bought my 2014 2SS M6 in October, when the temps were still in the 50s to 60s, and it handled fine. The first day the temps were under 20 degrees (mid-November) I recall having the impression I was driving on skateboard tires. No grip whatsoever.

That said, with a little care and reservation I was still able to drive fine. With a good set of snows I can drive in the snow with no issues whatsoever... honestly probably the best car I've ever driven in the snow.
spotticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #13
Nameless

Drives: :
I've drove with the Pirellis in my SS when temps were in the teens, but only when dry. I did not see it as a problem in dry, cold conditions. You adjust your driving and take it easy. Don't fly around corners or floor it from a stop and you're good. My tires are fine almost 3 years later.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
I live in the same town as you ucla81, and I have first hand experience on the roads where we live...small world huh?

Anyhow, given the condition of the roads where we live, the summer only tires will leave you very hesitant on corners as the roll and pitch changes on back country roads.

Going in a straight line will result in the traction control lighting up very often. It's not a pleasant experience.

That said, I went with Continental Extreme DWS tires and while you lose just a little bit of the crisp handling in summer, they provide VERY predictable behavior year around. They also work extremely well in rain and snow up to about 4 inches. Once you get snow higher than your front spoiler, all bets are off. You're just a giant snowplow at that point.

Good luck with your car.

Last edited by TheHorse13; 12-09-2014 at 10:27 AM.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote