Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #85
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
You’re doing fine. Six pages and going. On your way to an Epic thread. It is pretty amazing. It’s like the headline should now read, “Man Spends Own Money On Car Mod’s, Pundits Say It’s All Wrong!”

You could take it back to the dyno and increase the RPM’s and star in the ‘Man Scatters LS Motor All Over Tuner’s Shop’ thread. People love that sh!t! Enjoy your build.
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #86
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
Thanks. I just finished reading it all again in disbelief. I definitely did not expect all this.
Try not to take offense to it. They may be rather blunt with their opinions but I don't think they would be so involved in this thread if they weren't thoroughly intrigued with your build, especially your LOD. I think they are just frustrated that you aren't using it to it's full potential when they (and I suppose the rest of us) are dying to know what all it can do. That doesn't mean you have to be the guinea pig though, and I sure as hell don't blame you. I just read through Frank's spring thread and I'm fairly certain he and his buddies would happily blow up their motors in the name of science. They're whackjobs for sure, and I love it. You're exactly right though, if they want to see what the LOD is capable of, they should all chip in buy one to test it out. Then they can send it to me when they're done!
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #87
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
make that 1 HAPPY whack job!
Old 03-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #88
lazerlemonta

Drives: 2010 C6 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
Try not to take offense to it. They may be rather blunt with their opinions but I don't think they would be so involved in this thread if they weren't thoroughly intrigued with your build, especially your LOD. I think they are just frustrated that you aren't using it to it's full potential when they (and I suppose the rest of us) are dying to know what all it can do. That doesn't mean you have to be the guinea pig though, and I sure as hell don't blame you. I just read through Frank's spring thread and I'm fairly certain he and his buddies would happily blow up their motors in the name of science. They're whackjobs for sure, and I love it. You're exactly right though, if they want to see what the LOD is capable of, they should all chip in buy one to test it out. Then they can send it to me when they're done!
I’m for sure a whack job lol
Attached Images

Best ET 10.58 @ 131.8 stock heads and stock cam 453/445 SAE
10.62@134.82 GPI 281CC Heads, SS4 Cam and X1 Intake
Best 1/8 6.80@105.75
Best MPH 134.82
lazerlemonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #89
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I'm happy by baby is home in the warm garage...
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:21 AM   #90
l.o.d_yankee

Drives: 2010/2SS/M6/440ci
Glad to hear that you're happy with you X1 manifold Clark. The wrinkle black looks great on a summit white car. For everyone wondering what it's capable of above 7k perhaps we can help. This is our shop 5th gen, we're finishing up the install of the new engine just in time for TX2K down here in houston at peitz performance tuning. Once everything is broken in it'll safely turn 7500+
Attached Images

l.o.d_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #91
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
Why do people think an ls3 will scatter and 7001 rpm.... they’ll take 7500 like sweet eff all
Old 03-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #92
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
So on subject the torque staying low I agree with Bo White is due to the runners.....a High ram intake has always been known more for bad low end better high end RPM numbers and hurt torque actually as its design is that way and why so many don't make LS3# intakes that can better the stock one...look at the Fast its a lot like stock.... Vararam just teased us for years and never patented theirs with the long Plenum bowed mid ram, and MSD Gave up on a airforce for the ls3.... Sure sheet metals out there for cheap online but made more for carbs and not so great, and you got other Hideous things like the Nelson or the Edelbrock dual TB intake all more for a street rod not a Camaro....

But I have seen on here and written about on the net that having different than the stock gears makes a difference in the calculations and output on the dyno graph for those having the 3.91 gears versus the 3.45s also..... But hey we know a dyno is a tuning tool and the Intake having gained so much HP is great for making power but yes Torque is what moves you..... SO to me it would be interesting to see a dyno of stock cammed engine with stock gears versus one with the LOD intake and mild tune changes for the pair, and well ME frankly I want to see a stroker with mated to one of these. And if they make different tops for its as they said on their facebook and if they do up a LS7 one that can match to some small bore ls7 heads for a ls3 also........ This is the most interesting friggin development of the last few years IMO..........

Lots of stuff to consider.... And yes most ls3 springs are tested to only 7000 rpm, but exceeding that not so wise unless your like built shaft mounted rocker top end to be safe and to avoid valve float. A ls7 multiplies its rocker ratio is not the same making a cam be .030+ more higher in lift and also has by design features that make its 7k redline more safe, and being safer is smarter but not everyone is going to spend a lot of coin making it be able to rev to the moon all day long, or want to go that high with shifts with declining power production/torque with what ever cam they have with its power band...and the desired driving conditions of track, short track, street/strip etc

SO everything matters..... How many starbucks dude had matters......lol if they flunked English and had to learn to tune a fish........LOL

Last edited by christianchevell; 03-10-2018 at 10:15 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #93
l.o.d_yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
Why do people think an ls3 will scatter and 7001 rpm.... they’ll take 7500 like sweet eff all
Lots of people (myself included) started out on older generation small blocks. Those in stock form would blow their brains out at 7k. I think for some that way of thinking is carried over to the LS world.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #94
l.o.d_yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
So on subject the torque staying low I agree with Bo White is due to the runners.....a High ram intake has always been known more for bad low end better high end RPM numbers and hurt torque actually as its design is that way and why so many don't make LS3# intakes that can better the stock one...look at the Fast its a lot like stock.... Vararam just teased us for years and never patented theirs with the long Plenum bowed mid ram, and MSD Gave up on a airforce for the ls3.... Sure sheet metals out there for cheap online but made more for carbs and not so great, and you got other Hideous things like the Nelson or the Edelbrock dual TB intake all more for a street rod not a Camaro....

But I have seen on here and written about on the net that having different than the stock gears makes a difference in the calculations and output on the dyno graph for those having the 3.91 gears versus the 3.45s also..... But hey we know a dyno is a tuning tool and the Intake having gained so much HP is great for making power but yes Torque is what moves you..... SO to me it would be interesting to see a dyno of stock cammed engine with stock gears versus one with the LOD intake and mild tune changes for the pair, and well ME frankly I want to see a stroker with mated to one of these. And if they make different tops for its as they said on their facebook and if they do up a LS7 one that can match to some small bore ls7 heads for a ls3 also........ This is the most interesting friggin development of the last few years IMO..........

Lots of stuff to consider.... And yes most ls3 springs are tested to only 7000 rpm, but exceeding that not so wise unless your like built shaft mounted rocker top end to be safe and to avoid valve float. A ls7 multiplies its rocker ratio is not the same making a cam be .030+ more higher in lift and also has by design features that make its 7k redline more safe, and being safer is smarter but not everyone is going to spend a lot of coin making it be able to rev to the moon all day long, or want to go that high with shifts with declining power production/torque with what ever cam they have with its power band...and the desired driving conditions of track, short track, street/strip etc

SO everything matters..... How many starbucks dude had matters......lol if they flunked English and had to learn to tune a fish........LOL
Ask and you shall recive. This motor going in is a 5.3 sleeved to a 4.185 bore with a 4 inch stroke. Dart pro 1 heads ported by SPS in Washington state. X1 intake (of course) and 2 inch primaries to a 3 inch x pipe on spintech mufflers.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #95
Arch-City

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post

I don't know why everyone keeps talking about the Runner length on his new intake. His torque numbers were the same with the stock LS3 intake. I had never seen a torque # that low with that TSP Cam and the stock intake. That's what I was trying to come up with an answer for. I think everyone understands short runners = more HP less tq. and long runners = less HP and more to. That is why I put the MSD intake on mine instead of the LS7. The MSD has a 1" shorter and moved my power back about 4-500 rpm's
Arch-City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #96
Clarkstar

I agree it was strange... tuner said it was the gears. Maybe it was something in the tune? Not sure... but it's irrelevant at this point....
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #97
Clarkstar

This is the graph from the cam tune...
Attached Images

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #98
Clarkstar

This one's is from the headers and z28 cai...
Attached Images

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.