Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #15
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I came across this as a suggestion, I'd love to try it, if I had the tools/time.

Because it's something more specific than "I saw a CEL", I do agree that the dealership should be able to use the info to better figure it out.
It's a good suggestion, but not on the LFX. I ran into issues with my injectors but it was actually a problem with the high-pressure fuel pump that's attached to the engine. I had taken things apart, but with how much pressure the DI engine is under, I didn't feel comfortable going further and paid a mechanic to fix the problem. It was over $1,000 but the damage was done and I sold the car after that. Learned that I didn't want direct injection.

With living paycheck-to-paycheck and not doing your own maintenance, it might make a little more sense to get a used civic or something similar for cheap. Switching to another used car with a car payment adds to even more risks.

Or maybe even just getting into a very cheap lease and trying to save up during those 3 years to get a car that you want. Should only need to change oil, tires, and maybe brakes on a lease.

ChibiBlackSheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #16
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
https://jerryspeedshop.com/

Fords. Great guy, knows his sh!t. Hit him up.
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:13 PM   #17
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonbrador View Post
https://jerryspeedshop.com/

Fords. Great guy, knows his sh!t. Hit him up.
Thanks!!
Old 12-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #18
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
It's a good suggestion, but not on the LFX. I ran into issues with my injectors but it was actually a problem with the high-pressure fuel pump that's attached to the engine. I had taken things apart, but with how much pressure the DI engine is under, I didn't feel comfortable going further and paid a mechanic to fix the problem. It was over $1,000 but the damage was done and I sold the car after that. Learned that I didn't want direct injection.

With living paycheck-to-paycheck and not doing your own maintenance, it might make a little more sense to get a used civic or something similar for cheap. Switching to another used car with a car payment adds to even more risks.

Or maybe even just getting into a very cheap lease and trying to save up during those 3 years to get a car that you want. Should only need to change oil, tires, and maybe brakes on a lease.
Do you think such an issue could result in a low voltage code? If I could find a clear wiring diagram I can follow, I'd trace the wire (as much as I could) to see if there is any obvious issue.

But you are right, the position I'm in, it's not good. If I could just get to the other side of the car payments, at least it would free up cash for repairs. I just hate how it seems a "CEL" issue can be a green light for a dealership to throw random repairs/replacements at your bill, often resulting in it not being fixed. Maybe that is an over generalization, but it seems to be a pattern here.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #19
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Yeah, I had the stuff apart, and the whole top half of the engine was FILTHY and the plugs were fouling out like crazy. Needed to find the cause and it was just a ton of excess fuel leaking all over the place.

All of the wiring and such for the injectors aren't too crazy hidden, but I would think it would be more common if it was a wire that was busted.
Attached Images

ChibiBlackSheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #20
NJScorpio

But you were having issues with multiple fuel injectors, correct? I believe I'm just having issues with one. What made me think it was a wiring issue is this service bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...41933-1865.pdf
Old 12-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #21
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I was looking at this one here: https://www.nissan37.com/auto/used-2...r-nj/41227689/

I just happened to know a salesman at that dealership, so it caught my eye. A better deal that what I've seen at Chevy dealers.

What is the issue with the A8s?
transmission /torque converter shudder which can be fixed by having the dealer change to the new spec trans fluid.check the 6 gen forums to hear more about it.the camaro in your link looks damn good for the payment price too.
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #22
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
transmission /torque converter shudder which can be fixed by having the dealer change to the new spec trans fluid.check the 6 gen forums to hear more about it.the camaro in your link looks damn good for the payment price too.
Thanks for the info! I'm keeping this one in mind if I can't get the issue resolved with my 2012.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #23
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
I'd take a deep breath and attack the easy first - remove the controller then do an upper cleaning and add some Techron (great stuff) to the tank for an injector cleaning.

Used both and i believe CRC is a better upper cleaner for DI engines and I clean mine at every 5k oil change.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #24
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
First things first: remove the throttle controller. It is snake oil, does nothing that you can't do by mashing the pedal faster. It doesn't "go to eleven".

Next step, and you can do this outdoors, is take off the engine cover and look for signs of rodents: feces, acorn shells, chewed wires.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #25
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
Snowballing here but if you are in the market for a completely different V6 look into the Infiniti Q50 AWD or RWD. You can get a 300bhp 3.0 twin turbo that is easily bumped up to over 400rwhp for under $600 bucks with the JB4 tuner. Oh and it gets 25mpg easily on 93. That's awesome for a smooth riding luxury four door. You can find nice low mile examples in the low 20k's possibly $19k or less if you wait until closer to the end of the year. The deals get really nice so they can close as many deals before EOY.

I purchased the 2dr coupe version called the Q60 and love it. They only offer these in a 7spd AT which I wasn't happy about but am making it work. It shifts decent on it's own but leaves a lot to be desired when using the lame "manual" mode. I've only owned MT cars so this is new to me so I could just be picky. I leave it in Sport+ mode and in Drive. Has a nice growl when it aggressivly downshifts on hard stops. I got a good deal on an Infiniti Sport Axle back which make it sound a little better.

Anyways, this has been a stellar car so far and it's quick as hell. I'd recommend the 18+ if you can swing but the 17s are still good. The 16s had issues with slipping belts that took engines with them so stay away from those! The RS 400 models are awesome too. Stock with 400bhp with same tune capability to a tune of like 430rwhp and over 400rwtq. Pretty impressive for a little v6 Sorry for the long book, I get lonely. Not many people come down in my mom's basement :( haha

Cheers!
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #26
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstodii View Post
Snowballing here but if you are in the market for a completely different V6 look into the Infiniti Q50 AWD or RWD. You can get a 300bhp 3.0 twin turbo that is easily bumped up to over 400rwhp for under $600 bucks with the JB4 tuner. Oh and it gets 25mpg easily on 93. That's awesome for a smooth riding luxury four door. You can find nice low mile examples in the low 20k's possibly $19k or less if you wait until closer to the end of the year. The deals get really nice so they can close as many deals before EOY.

I purchased the 2dr coupe version called the Q60 and love it. They only offer these in a 7spd AT which I wasn't happy about but am making it work. It shifts decent on it's own but leaves a lot to be desired when using the lame "manual" mode. I've only owned MT cars so this is new to me so I could just be picky. I leave it in Sport+ mode and in Drive. Has a nice growl when it aggressivly downshifts on hard stops. I got a good deal on an Infiniti Sport Axle back which make it sound a little better.

Anyways, this has been a stellar car so far and it's quick as hell. I'd recommend the 18+ if you can swing but the 17s are still good. The 16s had issues with slipping belts that took engines with them so stay away from those! The RS 400 models are awesome too. Stock with 400bhp with same tune capability to a tune of like 430rwhp and over 400rwtq. Pretty impressive for a little v6 Sorry for the long book, I get lonely. Not many people come down in my mom's basement :( haha

Cheers!
For the price of one of those, he could step into a V8 SS of the same year or slightly newer. Those Q50's/Q60's are not bad cars, but they don't compare to the Camaro when it comes to the styling or the V8 muscle car like rumble of the SS IMHO.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #27
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
For the price of one of those, he could step into a V8 SS of the same year or slightly newer. Those Q50's/Q60's are not bad cars, but they don't compare to the Camaro when it comes to the styling or the V8 muscle car like rumble of the SS IMHO.

my car had 18500 mi on it i paid 19500
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:57 AM   #28
NJScorpio

First, I want to say thank you to everyone who has responded, providing input and ideas.

I found my forum post when I first had a very similar issue, dealing with CEL/reduced power and the possibility of it being the VTC. My solution ended up being keeping it on "zero", because I liked how regardless of setting, on throttle lift off, it immediately cut off throttle as opposed to tapering it off.

Fast forward a bit, I was having a different issue, I don't recall the symptoms. I went to bring it in, and was having a damn hard time unplugging the VTC. A hard enough time that I didn't want to break anything trying further. I tucked it away and brought the car in. They said I needed a new throttle sensor, and they mentioned the VTC. I actually thought "oh good, they disconnected the damn thing". Of course, they said they hooked it back up. I leave it at "zero" and move on.

That brings us here. Upon the (very logical) advice to remove the VTC, I was determined to remove it. Well, it was an easy removal this time.

Today my commute was uneventful! Granted, it was slick and snowing, so my driving was a bit different, but given traffic it wasn't significantly different driving that usual.

So fingers crossed!