Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Top Off

Drives: 2012 LS3 1SS/RS Vert
Borla ATAK?

I read through the posts, but did not see anything definitive. Those of you that have/had the Borla ATAK catback, did you notice any drone and if so how bad? I know this is very subjective, but still looking for any and all responses. Please also mention if it was just the catback, or if any other exhaust mods were on.

Thanks in advance;
Mike
Top Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
fastfreddie
FreakyFast!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS S/C NicKey #55
Installed ATAK Catback and the drone was present. Several months later, I installed headers and got a tune. Part of the tune included turning off the AFM, no drone, sounds great!

I'll say the drone was bad enough and drove me crazy which prompted the headers and tune. No regrets with my choice. Hope this helps.

2010 2SS/RS #55 NicKey Stage 2S Super-Camaro custom painted by Pete (Mr. Showstopper)
Build Thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250743
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Top Off

Thank You.
Did you only have the drone when it went into AFM mode or all the time? Nice car also.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
I have the catback ATAK right now and I only have a CAI and the exhaust...no drone of my end.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
fastfreddie
FreakyFast!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS S/C NicKey #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Off View Post
Thank You.
Did you only have the drone when it went into AFM mode or all the time? Nice car also.
Yes, drone only when AFM kicked in.

Thanks!
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
texfre

Drives: 2011 Conv 2SS RS 6 Hurst SRX-4
I just have the Atak mufflers, I like the noise, there definately is a drone and a lot of decel pop, a lot not only when I gear down but when I back off the gas on the hwy but it does the trick for sound
texfre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Top Off

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Rockey33

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro SS
I have had the Borla ATAK catback system for 7 months now. I have added headers to it which makes it sound even better. I hear it when I get on it which is what I want but at cruising speeds I can't hear much at all. I am vey happy with it.
Rockey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
What is drone? The constant muffler noise when just driving?
AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
Top Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteMayheM View Post
What is drone? The constant muffler noise when just driving?
Look at me lacking in the thread I started. It is not so much a sound as an actually tone that you feel. Normally comes into play when cruising around 1600-2000 rpm range and you are on the gas lightly. It makes it hard to talk to a person sitting next to you. I had done a muffler delete on my old car (G8) and the drone was horrible. I eventaully had Kooks LTH with Solo cats and catback. (NO drone at all) I had an MBRP exhaust on my v8 Dakota that droned, but no where near as bad. That truck was fine for long trips.

Side note, I really wish winter would end so I can drive and not give the car a road salt and cinder bath each time.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
Pkrimmer

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS Convertible
Cat back

Hello have been on this site for awhile and was reading your post on the ATAK Catback which I installed last yr. I hate that drone so now you convinced me to install the headers. What kind of tune did you have to do and how do you turn off the AFM. BTW whats AFM stand for? Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Installed ATAK Catback and the drone was present. Several months later, I installed headers and got a tune. Part of the tune included turning off the AFM, no drone, sounds great!

I'll say the drone was bad enough and drove me crazy which prompted the headers and tune. No regrets with my choice. Hope this helps.
Pkrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
RAYD8

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS/RS
I have the Borla ATAK catback with a CAI on mine. I also had the AFM tuned out. AFM stands for automatic fuel management. In order to increase mileage, it allows the engine to switch from 8 cylinders to 4 to gave on gas. With the AFM in place, the drone was terrible. With it tuned out, there is a nice sound even at highway speeds. I didn't notice a mileage drop when mine was tuned out. I eventually will have headers put on, but money is the rate-limited factor...lol. The motorsport shop that installed my exhaust and CAI tuned it for me.
RAYD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
SSCAMAROGUY
2012 45th Anniv. 2SS Conv

Drives: 2012 45th Anniv. SS
You might wish to avoid the new exhaust route all together and go with QTP electric cut-outs. They are cheaper overall, easily installed and get you that muscle car sound your after when and only when you want it.

Trust me I played the whole CAT back game with an expensive Magna Flow system and eventually got the sound I wanted all along with the cut-outs.