Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 05-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
JoshuaJones

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2002 Camaro SS
California Friendly Modification Question

I'm sure this topic has been answered over and over again but (1) I'm usually on this site with my smart phone and (2) my question is alittle more detailed. I moved here for work and do have the option to keep my Camaro registered in another state BUT will eventually want a California plate. What intake/header/exhaust/tune set up guys have and experienced. Its a Semi-Daily Driver but I want that extra power. Any advice or experience you guys have/had would be helpful and appreciated. Thank you for your time.

"Let Them Hate For They Shall Fear"
JoshuaJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Keep it registered out of state.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
ZooDad

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaJones View Post
I'm sure this topic has been answered over and over again but (1) I'm usually on this site with my smart phone and (2) my question is alittle more detailed. I moved here for work and do have the option to keep my Camaro registered in another state BUT will eventually want a California plate. What intake/header/exhaust/tune set up guys have and experienced. Its a Semi-Daily Driver but I want that extra power. Any advice or experience you guys have/had would be helpful and appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Be careful with running out of state plate for too long. There is a reward program with the state for people letting DMV know about out of staters staying in CA.
ZooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
I believe these are true, but am not completely certain (if you switch to CA plates):

Headers: No LTs, but DT, ARH and JBA shorties are CARB approved

Intake: There's no smog-legal CAI, and I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for one. The stock airbox has activated carbon to absorb emissions, making it very difficult for an aftermarket CAI to produce the same / lower emissions. Would love to be proven wrong here...

Exhaust: Generally speaking, things beyond the cats are ok, but subject to noise restrictions.

Welcome to California...
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaJones View Post
well we have tons of people running long tubes because they have smogs in like 5-6 years. Once you get your car registered in CA you need an immediate smog and every two years thereon out so LT's might be a pain to swap on and off every two years. For me, I have a 2014 so next smog is 2020.

My car is a DD and right now and its parts are in my sig. Since you are a DD and I don't know how the cops are in Glendale, I suggest you don't go LONG TUBE headers (shorties are legal but IMO a waste of dough) yet until you know if you have friendly cops because spending all that money and getting a fix-it is a pain. Intake, a catback, and a good tune will be around 30-40rwhp. Intake is a easy 30 minute install. Easy to install stock when smog comes.

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
reason

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS / RS
Also - moving the car from out of state will require a visual inspection at the DMV when you register. This consists of a DMV employee with a Police officer overlooking. The purpose is to check for blatantly illegal things, engine swaps, mismatched VINs.

They ask you to wait in your car with the car shut off, and then to start the car and pull forward, pop hood and exit vehicle. Inspection guy then verify's VIN and performs a visual inspection.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
JoshuaJones

ok gotcha. I will have a address in Arizona still with the registration staying there. I'm in a small town with one cop but I will travel to different cities. I have heard all of these rules and had a few highly modified vehicles here with California plates but I think being military saved me. I guess the intake,catback, and tune will work and just remove the intake and retune if I need to.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
I know several military guys who keep their cars registered in another state without any problems. I will pm his info to you maybe he can give you some info.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
JoshuaJones

I'm not active anymore the only two things I have going for me is that my company sent me here "temporarily" so I still get a paycheck from another state and I still have a address I can use in Az. I also had shops that would write off my vehicle. I just figured being the Camaro enthusiasts you are someone found a nice modification list that passes but gives decent performance. I can do the whole removing things once I make it a CA car. I dont like being seen as a tourist haha. Somebody mentioned if you cross over states you have alittle time before they check again its a 2010 and still has dealer plates so maybe the new certified thing will work in my favor for a bit. I just never drive anything stock for long. Thanks for all the info guys.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #10
jag107

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
DON'T REGISTER IN CA! Do everything possible to keep your out of state plates! I know somebody that has lived and worked here for over 20 years with AZ plates. It's totally doable.
jag107 is offline   Reply With Quote