Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Top Off

Drives: 2012 LS3 1SS/RS Vert
Conklin Convoy 5W-30

Has anyone used this? I searched the board, but nothing found. I have gone through quite a few of the 1000 pages of oil X vs oil Y postings. Pretty sure I will go with the Redline 5w30. I did see the Conklin mentioned on some other boards though. Link to the actual product:
https://www.conklin.com/cart/itemDet...rentSKU=035089

Looking for some feedback, and sorry for starting another " Is this oil going to make my car explode if I use it post"

Thanks in advance
Top Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Never heard of Conklin and I'm a long time BITOG participant. It certainly isn't Dexos1.

http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands

Why do you want to use it?
Old 06-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Top Off

Drives: 2012 LS3 1SS/RS Vert
I was bouncing around on different forums regarding oil preferences and such. It is recieved very well by the people who use it. The oil seems like it would be Dexos1 approved if they paid to have it added. Like I said, I will probably use the Redline, but was curious if anyone had ever used or even heard of Conklin.
Top Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
You know, its funny....even Coastal is dexos approved. So I would say most brands of oil would be safe in your vehicle. They key is changing it regularly.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
You know, its funny....even Coastal is dexos approved. So I would say most brands of oil would be safe in your vehicle. They key is changing it regularly.
I agree with you that changing the oil regularly is great insurance, but there are some factors in how different oils are formulated to help reduce heat, friction, wear and tear ect.. that some oils have and some don't. Another very important factor is filtration,, you can have the best oil that is formulated like Motul, AMSOIL, Mobil and if you have a crapy oil filter it wont do you any good simply because the soot in the oil will act as sand paper to the bearings which are a softer metal.
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote