Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: Have you experienced unexpected power loss at low speeds with the 6th Gen ZL1?
Yes, I feel there is an issue with the car's ability to take off gently and/or launch. 104 64.20%
No, the car seems fine to me. 26 16.05%
I do not own a 6th Gen ZL1. 32 19.75%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #309
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
WTH!???

That's frustrating.......but at least they seem to be taking the issue seriously because they want to try to capture the data again, otherwise I'd think they'd just say "Oh well, we tried" and move on.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #310
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
The GM techs I'm working with are just as disappointed as I am. I have a feeling they have the data, but it's misplaced if that makes sense. I was told they are "looking for the logs". There was a thought that maybe the logs are stored under the VIN of the Control Tec's previous installation. Anyway, there's still a chance the data will be located.

If not, we have a different game plan for next week. The GM tech is going to meet me at a place I know I can easily reproduce the problem. He is going to install the device and wait while I capture a few events. We'll then confirm the logs were successfully uploaded prior to removing the Control Tec.

(I should be able to capture a few launch events in this location as well.)

On a side note, I was able to get one reasonably good launch by setting the surface type to "General" (PTM mode Dry), Slip Target 15%, and RPM 3,700. I haven't tried launch control with PTM mode set to Wet, but my buddy with a '16 CTS-V says that works best for him.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #311
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty45 View Post
If they need another test platform, I'll volunteer. I PMd you a sample video from Va 1/2 mile.
Thanks buddy. We'll see how this next attempt goes. Hopefully they won't need another guinea pig.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #312
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
The GM techs I'm working with are just as disappointed as I am. I have a feeling they have the data, but it's misplaced if that makes sense.
Hang in there....don't let those Little see you pissed off.

Btw, I hope GM is going to refresh your tires and clutch assy for all the T@E you've done.

Mr Travis, keep up the good work.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #313
Diggitydog

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Nightfall Convertible M6
Good work Travis. Hang in there, we want...we NEED this issue resolved. You're actually doing something about it! Just awesome. Thank you
Diggitydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:23 AM   #314
zadjaliz

Drives: Not yet
To the guys with the 17 ZL1, Is this issue really bad enough to make you consider regreting buying the car? Is it really affecting daily drivability of the car?

Im planning to buy a 2017 ZL1, will be using it as a daily driver and some spirited driving in twisty roads (i will not launch it hard from a dig and will not take her drag racing).

Should i pull the trigger? Or i will be annoyed with this thing as i will be driving her daily?

Will appreciate you advices.
zadjaliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #315
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadjaliz View Post
To the guys with the 17 ZL1, Is this issue really bad enough to make you consider regreting buying the car? Is it really affecting daily drivability of the car?

Im planning to buy a 2017 ZL1, will be using it as a daily driver and some spirited driving in twisty roads (i will not launch it hard from a dig and will not take her drag racing).

Should i pull the trigger? Or i will be annoyed with this thing as i will be driving her daily?

Will appreciate you advices.
There's a different thread already for that type of contemplation and discussion here (http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506234). Not trying to be snarky, but want to keep this discussion tight for easy to find/review updates to this issue.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:28 AM   #316
travislambert

Well I didn't need to have the Control Tec reinstalled. A rep from GM contacted me yesterday to tell me the original data logs suddenly appeared. I was told there "must have had a delay in the upload."

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #317
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Well I didn't need to have the Control Tec reinstalled. A rep from GM contacted me yesterday to tell me the original data logs suddenly appeared. I was told there "must have had a delay in the upload."

They're probably using yahoo mail, lol.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #318
DJ127

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
Guys, I've been keeping my eye on this thread for a while and finally have enough seat time in my 2018 to confidently give my opinion (for what its worth). I can honestly say the issues described in this thread are absolutely still present in the 2018 model. Like everyone else I started off thinking the jerky, inconsistent take offs were me just needing to get used to the car (even though I've driven manuals all my life). Now after following this thread and trying different ways to take off and even reluctantly letting other skilled manual drivers give it a try, it is now clear that there is an issue with one of the systems in this car. There is no way it is suppossd to cut power like that at such a low mph. Obviously we all know too well what its doing, but here is my car's behavior for those interested. About 30% of my easy, in traffic take offs, my car registers 30% on the ELSD wheel slip and immediately cuts engine power. I understand the role of the ELSD in this issue is still in question, but what I do know is that when this issue occurs, as soon as the wheels start moving and the motor cuts power, it immediately causes me to take remedial action to keep the car from stalling. Whether that is depressing the clutch or hitting the throttle. Either way it leads to a jerky take off that literally looks like I am a 16 year old Learning how to drive a manual for the first time. Now I can keep this from happening but the only way I've found is to be aggressive with the throttle and/or slip the clutch which is absolutely unacceptable. I really hope they get a fix going for this because there is no way this is how it should drive and as we all know taking it to the dealer to "diagnose" is out of the question.

PS......sorry for the long winded message, just very passionate about this car and even more frustrated by it

Last edited by DJ127; 09-06-2017 at 12:58 PM.
DJ127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #319
Repman

Drives: 18 Black ZL1-1LE
Quote:

Good news thanks for the update !
Repman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:44 AM   #320
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I'm heading over to Watkins Glen in a couple of hours for some docile paced laps. I'm going to monitor this and let you know what I see and feel on a road course.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #321
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Has anyone been able to tune it out yet? When I first added my Maggie to my SS over a year ago now I was around the same power as a stock ZL1. Wheel hop was an issue right away on launches. The minute I switched to the BMR rear arms with their bushings, it was gone. The rear trailing arms in the SS were so flimsy and I think the ZL1 has the same issue with those parts. Do you guys think this was done intentionally via programming to compensate?
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #322
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I'm heading over to Watkins Glen in a couple of hours for some docile paced laps. I'm going to monitor this and let you know what I see and feel on a road course.
I've never noticed any issues related to wheel slip once the car gets moving. In fact, I think the ZL1 is outstanding on a road course.