Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Have you experienced unexpected power loss at low speeds with the 6th Gen ZL1?
Yes, I feel there is an issue with the car's ability to take off gently and/or launch. 104 64.20%
No, the car seems fine to me. 26 16.05%
I do not own a 6th Gen ZL1. 32 19.75%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #407
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
I got this in my email yesterday:

Quote:
Hi, Travis,

Thanks for your interest in all things Camaro.

Wanted to let you know that [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] are no longer able to communicate directly with you.

Social media topics will be answered through our Communications, Social Media and/or Legal teams. And all product concerns will be handled through our dealer body.

Best regards,

Ron Kiino
Chevrolet Communications – Performance Cars

100 Renaissance Drive
Detroit, Michigan 48265
Mobile: 947.517.2747
I'm feel confident that the Camaro engineers have nothing to do with this decision. I've tried calling, and I've sent two emails pleading for someone to offer an explanation. The call went to a voice mailbox that's full, and the emails have not been answered (and probably never will be). I'll let you guys know if I hear anything.

GM knows that this is a real problem. My guess is they have chosen not to fix the issue and communication was cut by GM's legal department to ensure their engineers wouldn't say anything that would make them liable in the event the issue results in someone getting hurt or killed.

If any of you guys have a good relationship with your dealer, I'd encourage you to see if they will reach out to GM on your behalf. It's really easy to duplicate the issue if you have somewhere with some really small rocks / pea gravel laying on the road surface. Place the rear wheels on the gravel and try to take off really slow and easy.

Here's the document I posted on July 1st. This may be helpful in explaining the problem to your dealer.
2017-06 Potential ZL1 Issue (redacted).pdf

If you don't get anywhere with your dealer, there are a couple other options:

This topic should certainly be a prime candidate for this month's Ask Al.

Last edited by travislambert; 11-09-2017 at 07:03 PM.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #408
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
All I can say is WOW!!!
Not a happy camper
Old 11-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #409
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post

I'm feel confident that the Camaro engineers have nothing to do with this decision. I've tried calling, and I've sent two emails pleading for someone to offer an explanation. The call went to a voice mailbox that's full, and the emails have not been answered (and probably never will be). I'll let you guys know if I hear anything.

GM knows that this is a real problem. My guess is they have chosen not to fix the issue and communication was cut by GM's legal department to ensure their engineers wouldn't say anything that would make them liable in the event the issue results in someone getting hurt or killed.

If any of you guys have a good relationship with your dealer, I'd encourage you to see if they will reach out to GM on your behalf. It's really easy to duplicate the issue if you have somewhere with some really small rocks / pea gravel laying on the road surface. Place the rear wheels on the gravel and try to take off really slow and easy.

Here's the document I posted on July 1st. This may be helpful in explaining the problem to your dealer.
Attachment 906031

Figures.

Yeah, this is now obviously viewed as a PR and liability issue for GM versus quality, functionality, or customer interaction/satisfaction.

We sought dialogue with the hopes of improving the overall experience but it probably didn't take long for the safety concerns to enter the conversations - meaning it will either be done on their time, closed lips, as a silent enhancement/release (like the springs were), or not done at all until an event justifies a legal recall.

In any case, here's the Ask Al thread to gain support for that - though I no longer have any hopes that this question will be responded to - might as well go back to asking about how many of a particular color sold in one year. Jerks.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511546

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:44 AM   #410
DJ127

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:

Attachment 906031

That’s disappointing. I had hopes that Camaro engineers were truly Engaged and had enough authority to improve their design, but am not surprised big business and profits won out in the end. Thanks Travis for all your effort trying to correct this issue. I filed a complaint on the NHTSA website and hopefully if we can get everyone else to do that and reference the safety risk it will bring some attention to it but I have zero confidence in any of my local dealers finding the issue, let alone being able to correct it. As far as the dealer is concerned it is working correctly according to how GM set the car up. Looks like we’ll have to go the aftermarket tuning route to hopefully correct the issue.

Side Note: If anyone has had success in tuning out the torque management please try and list/describe what was done so those of us that are also wanting to fix it will know how or what to explain to our tuners to make sure they are on the right path.
DJ127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:08 AM   #411
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:

I'm feel confident that the Camaro engineers have nothing to do with this decision. I've tried calling, and I've sent two emails pleading for someone to offer an explanation.

GM knows that this is a real problem. My guess is they have chosen not to fix the issue and communication was cut by GM's legal department
ALL,

If you take a step back and look at GM's position, (and I'm not in agreement), they are already under threat of a Lawsuit from the late model Corvette Owners for the overheating issues etc.

Scum Lawyers, (as some are), scour the internet to pick any relevant info to put a spin on.

Buy controlling related open source media, the legal dept is only doing its due diligence to protect its client.

I'm with every M6 Gen6 Owner here. If this issue is now approached as a Safety Liability, we should see a resolution and fix soon.

PH
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #412
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Yeah the overheating issues that was fueled by the one car that wasn’t bled properly. Otherwise the car performed as stated

We need access to more tables in hotuners so this can be tuned out
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:55 AM   #413
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Does anyone post on HPTuners forum? I know there are some tables that still cannot be accessed by via HPTuners. It might be worth posting the issue there with a link to this thread.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #414
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
Wow Travis, that's dssapointing.....to say the VERY LEAST.

WTF GM!????
Old 11-11-2017, 10:50 PM   #415
Shorty45

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1, M6
You know Travis, I sat on this info now for a couple days. I was kind of in shock about their response and didn't want to just rant and cuss about it. Frustrating!

But, I will say this: You did an outstanding job being the "mouthpiece" for us guys and gals with the Manual 6-speed transmission. And for everything that you did, I just wanted to say thank you.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #416
Lashu74
Lashu74

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Man that really blows, but like others have noted kinda what I expected...string us along for weeks/months only to be told they will not be addressing the issue. Seems to be a theme with GM at least in my dealings with them. Thanks for all your efforts bud!
Lashu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #417
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashu74 View Post
Man that really blows, but like others have noted kinda what I expected...string us along for weeks/months only to be told they will not be addressing the issue. Seems to be a theme with GM at least in my dealings with them. Thanks for all your efforts bud!
Technically they didn't say this.

Travis - Any luck communicating direct with these teams yet? Can you respond and ask for a direct POC within one of those authorized groups? Ask what's the latest public holding statement on the issue.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #418
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
He already posted the middle finger letter they sent him.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #419
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty45 View Post
You know Travis, I sat on this info now for a couple days. I was kind of in shock about their response and didn't want to just rant and cuss about it. Frustrating!

But, I will say this: You did an outstanding job being the "mouthpiece" for us guys and gals with the Manual 6-speed transmission. And for everything that you did, I just wanted to say thank you.
I appreciate the thank you. I think I'm still in a little bit in shock too. I just can't wrap my head around GM not offering some type of response after having me go through the trouble of putting a data recorder in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashu74 View Post
You're welcome. I haven't completely given up, but I don't have many options at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Technically they didn't say this.

Travis - Any luck communicating direct with these teams yet? Can you respond and ask for a direct POC within one of those authorized groups? Ask what's the latest public holding statement on the issue.
No. They're not responding to calls or email. It's really sad the way they treat people. Cutting off communication with customer after months of work without any explanation is unethical. It has to be a legal issue. Otherwise it's inexplainable.

I very politely asked for some explanation of why communication has been cut. I've tried calling, but my calls end up at a voice mailbox that is full.

I've been thinking about starting a GoFundMe account to raise money for a charity of Al Oppenheimer's choice. All Al has to do to get the money donated is take a stock production 2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 and demonstrate GM's advertised 1/4 mile time at a public event (maybe CamaroFest). If he'd actually agree to do it, I'd personally throw in $1,000.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:09 AM   #420
DJ127

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
I appreciate the thank you. I think I'm still in a little bit in shock too. I just can't wrap my head around GM not offering some type of response after having me go through the trouble of putting a data recorder in my car.

You're welcome. I haven't completely given up, but I don't have many options at this point.

No. They're not responding to calls or email. It's really sad the way they treat people. Cutting off communication with customer after months of work without any explanation is unethical. It has to be a legal issue. Otherwise it's inexplainable.

I very politely asked for some explanation of why communication has been cut. I've tried calling, but my calls end up at a voice mailbox that is full.

I've been thinking about starting a GoFundMe account to raise money for a charity of Al Oppenheimer's choice. All Al has to do to get the money donated is take a stock production 2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 and demonstrate GM's advertised 1/4 mile time at a public event (maybe CamaroFest). If he'd actually agree to do it, I'd personally throw in $1,000.
Thats creative......Count me in for the gofundme.
DJ127 is offline   Reply With Quote