Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #309
jtcamaro

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS2 RS
You have to love the quick fixes
jtcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #310
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Don't have a clunk but--

every bump or small pothole I hit it sounds like the shocks are hitting the bump stops. Had if from day one, but Pfadt swaybars accentuated the noise.
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #311
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Nine Day Bump

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #312
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
I have had the thunk since day one

Last week I went to a specialty (exotics and race cars) tire/suspension shop where I have spent a fortune on tires over the years. The suspension guy and I went for a drive (he clearly heard the sound) and then ran it up on the rack. Said everything looked OK and suspected it was a lube issue. As I had had Pfadt sway bars installed at the dealer he suggested I take it to them to have it checked out. Going to do that next week. I'll post results, good or bad.
BTW, the tire/suspension shop didn't charge me for the inspection. They said they make up for it when I come in for new P Zeros. LOL.
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #313
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Have this problem been solved, I haven't seen any recent complaints.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #314
jtcamaro

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS2 RS
If anyone needs to reference my case number here it is: 71-892118569
jtcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #315
crewxp

Drives: 2LT RS Summit White Camaro
Glad I found this thread. Is my issue related? I go over a speed bump everyday when leaving my apartment complex, its not really that high either.

I go slow over it and it sounds like the bottom of my car hits the speed bump every time.

Is this something I can bring to the attention to my dealer?
crewxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #316
ZAP 1401

Drives: 2SS/RS/Blk-Blk/L99,
Yes reference case # 71-892118569. (post # 322)
ZAP 1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #317
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Well, I have the popping too. I've been wondering about it for a while but forgot about it as I usually have the radio turned up.

I'm going to check it out....sway bar nuts and make sure it's lubricated. I'm going to check the end links, and then we'll check the strut mounts just to make sure everything is in order. I wonder what will happen. But believe me, when I finally find out what my issue is, we'll let ya'll know.

TAG
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #318
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcamaro View Post
I just completed the test drive of my car after the dealer replaced the strut mounts and the car now drives like new and steering even seems much tighter. When I looked at the old strut mounts the bearings seemed worn with a lot of dirt lodged in it and it was definitely not smooth when turining it, there was a lot of friction and also had some play in it as well, it was definitely not tight. The true test will be to see if it stays like this or if the problem reoccurs over time.

GM Exec Center actually called while I was at the dealer so I need to follow up with them to let them know this seemed to correct the problem. Hopefully this will result in an updated TSB instead of the previous one that said this noise was a normal condition.

As for the 2011 Camaro's, they gave me a 2011 LTS to use as a loaner and I can tell you first hand that they have the same problem. If anything it felt worse to me.

I am not sure if this will correct all of these clunking issues but this is definitley good news and seemed ot have corrected my issue!!!

I will keep posting updates to let you all know how the new strut mounts are doing. At this point you need to contact GM, open a case, and reference this case.

Jeff
What part numbers did they install for the strut mounts? It should be on your receipt.

I'm helping a friend with a modified suspension car, and we are going to try doing the mounts ourselves.

Thanks.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #319
Dave Sparkes

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible
This is not a forum I wanted to be involved with but at lease I know I'm not alone with my problem.

I picked up my convertible from the dealer on 31 Mar and on the drive home I notice a knocking noise coming from what I think is the front end on the passenger side. The noise is not always there, it only happens when I go over certain bumps in the road. I’m no mechanic but it kind of sounds like a strut bottoming out to me. I only have 550 km or 341 miles on it so I’m hoping (fingers cross) that it may just go away on it own. I took it back to the dealership this week for them to have a look at it and install the 2 bolts that were setting in a plastic bag in the drunk that needed to be installed in order for the tonneau cover snaps to grab on to something.

I took the mechanic for a drive and he also noticed the knocking noise. With him being in the passenger seat he said that the noise seems to be coming from the driver’s side front end. I left the car with them over night so that they could have it all the next day. I picked up the car after work yesterday and they told me that the noise is still there. They believe the noise is coming from some where in the dash. They called GM to see if there were any other reports of noise coming from the front end in any other convertibles. GM told my mechanic that this is the first report they have received regarding the knocking noise. GM wants me to keep monitoring the nose and if it gets worst bring the car back to my mechanic because it might be easier to pin point where the noise is coming from. I think they are thinking that it might be a couple of plastic parts in the dash that are rubbing together and that over time it might stop all together.

Dave
Dave Sparkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #320
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sparkes View Post
GM told my mechanic that this is the first report they have received regarding the knocking noise.

Dave
Well, you know one thing right off the bat, they are lying. GM has an open case on this and hundreds upon hundreds of complaints. For "GM" to say they haven't heard of this before, ... wow.... talk about crossing one's fingers and hoping the person doesn't realize this is happening to everyone.

I've heard rumors that it's the strut itself and replacing it with another stock strut won't do a thing but curb the problem for a bit longer.

I'm going to try going to an aftermarket strut for kicks and grins and see if it resolves by noisy front end.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #321
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
i feel like i bottom on or hit the bump REALLY hard only when i go over a bump or speedbump at times! i doubt its my springs..anyone solved this?
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #322
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Freeman, I would like to direct message you about the issue you are having. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote