Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #71
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I assume this generation of Camaro is like all the models before it and comes with an in-tank fuel pump where the tank must be dropped in order to access it, correct? If that is the case, it's submerged in the gas tank and the fuel also acts as a "coolant." Running the tank very low would then result in "less coolant" and higher operating temps.

Of course, none of this matters if the design has finally been changed. I assume there haven't been very many fuel pump failures yet, but this was the driving force behind the common 4th gen fuel pump failures.
Your assumptions on the tank / pump design are correct. I have done some digging on this and it seems we both are correct to some point. The fuel flowing through the pump appears to provide the lubrication and main aspects of cooling to the pump, but the additional fuel around the pump provides cooling as well, along with head pressure to allow the pump to not have to work as hard. I will say that I never have had any fuel pump issues, and continually run my cars to near empty before fill up, and the last two (1993 Z28 and 2001 WS6) both were about 10 years old when i got rid of them and had 200K in miles. I stand half corrected. Good points ChocoTaco!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #72
ratfinkharley

Drives: 15 JKU, 00 S10, 73 Vette, 12 JK
I thought that when you ran out of gas, the battery would power up a mini refinery in the trunk that produces gasoline and refills the tank.

Or is that what happens when you drive a Volt in reverse?
ratfinkharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #73
GNVenom
Turbos. Turbos. Turbos.

Drives: 2010 SS Yellow/Black
Fuel acts not only to cool the pump, but also as a lubricant for the moving parts. The motor brushes are completely submersed in fuel during normal use.

Try running a fuel pump dry sometime, out of a tank. You will see sparks from the armature brushes (although the sparks are not sufficient to start a fire or cause an explosion - liquid fuel doesn't burn, only fuel vapors) and soon, the rotary pump will seize up due to overheating.

You'd have to be a fool to run your tank less than 1/4. Say what you will about the up-front cash it takes to fill it up, but you won't be saving or losing anything - that is until the pump dies on you.

Caspers Electronics Inc.
Loveland CO
2010 2SS/RS Yellow/Black > http://www.bummlbe.com
GNVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #74
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
To me it's just embarrassing to have a new car and run out of gas. But thanx for the Thread!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #75
Stevew
Stevew

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS and 2012 Corvette
You can't fix out off gas without parts.
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #76
jacksoncoffeeco

Drives: 2010 Hennessey HPE650
I ran my Silverado out of gas once and it they are programed to blow a fuse. Realized it after a $50 tow bill and 1/2 mechanic time and the $2 cost of the fuse. Mechanic said built this way to save the system.
jacksoncoffeeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #77
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I can count the number of times I've driven a car below 1/4 tank on one hand.

I've been driving for 24 years, and I driven most of my vehicles under 1/4 tank pretty regularly. Never once ran out of gas, and no burnt pumps (knock on wood). My 4th gen, however, since the gauge on that is kooky, I fill up at 1/2 tank normally.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #78
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
The reason for your missfire was due to air in the fuel lines, it works itself out quickly on gas cars so thats likely why you didn't feel it and the dealer couldnt find a problem. Running out of fuel is hard on electric fuel pumps unlike the old mechanical fuel pumps that quit running when the motor stopped.

The low fuel guage on my old 72' pickup from high school was a 5gal can in the back since the fuel guage didn't work.

On that same note, I don't let any of my vehicles get below 1/2 a tank in my day to day operations. You never know when you may have to go due to a hurricane, tornado etc. and you sure don't want to be stuck trying to get fuel at the last minute.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #79
Tomash

Drives: (black 2SS Camaro), Suzuki SX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
NEVER WAIT TO RUN OUT OF FUEL.
Especially givent the fact that you can kill your fuel pump, the one in the tank. It's cooled down by the fuel (main reason why you should always fill up to at least half the tank) AND any kind of crap left in the fuel can clog the pump partially, which is a very hideous condition (cold starts will get hard but the measured fuel pressure will show it's all right for normal operation).

By the way, guess who got his Camaro from the dealer with amount of gas enough to drive 400 metres (yes, I was heading straight to the gas station)
(but the process of how I was buying my Camaro is a whole story I intend to send to GM Europe central, the experience was terrible on every possible level, up to the point of suspecting someone inside was simply sabotaging the process to get this car for cheap after I give up & walk away)
Old 02-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #80
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Sorry but if has been shown that constantly running below 1/4 tank does indeed shorten the life span of the pump. Gasoline contains sediment which settles to the bottom. When you go below 1/4 of a tank you have a higher chance of inducing this sediment into the fuel line which will slowly clog the fuel filter over time. The fuel pump thus has to work harder to pump the gas through the clogged filter which shortens the life span. Even so the life span is still pretty long so most people don't worry about it.
Also the pump is cooled by being submerged in the gas, low or no gas = hotter running pump which drastically reduces the life when coupled with the pump working harder.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #81
bulls96

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik13 View Post
did the dealer charge you for checking things out?

yes they charged $50.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk
bulls96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #82
Stevew
Stevew

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS and 2012 Corvette
You can't fix that without parts.
Want to really have some fun, run a diesel out of fuel.
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote