Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #197
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteMayheM View Post
I could be wrong, but some of the videos show and say that the system pumps water up to the pads.

I was just also thinking it would just be as effective to have something floating under the guard for boyance to just soak the pad buy pressing it up and down.

@about 40 seconds into the video he illustrates the water pumping jets.
What I have highlighted in bold is exactly what happens, although there is nothing floating. The Grit Guard insert is held up by 4, spring loaded cones. As a matter of fact, I explain in my videos that there is no motor or any kind of mechanically powered device inside the bucket, which makes me cringe at the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I'm not sure if yours an older version or not but if you push down on your grit guard insert, see if in four spots water pushes up like a squirt. That's how mine works. I don't know if that's technically called a pump, but that's what it looks like to me
There is only one version of the Pad Washer by Grit Guard. It has never changed.

You are both being fooled by physics. Water will always take the path of least resistance. Look at the diagram below for clarity.

If you look at part #6, you will see that each of the 4 cones has a hole in the top of it. Those cones are submerged BELOW the water line and thus, water is not only around them but also INSIDE them (those cones are completely open on the bottom of them where the springs are shown). When you press down on the Grit Guard insert (#5), the water inside the bucket takes the path of least resistance and squirts through those 4 holes. At this point, the Grit Guard insert itself is completely submerged below the water line (depending on how hard you press), so the water also goes around those cones and through the Grit Guard insert itself, which also saturates your pad. The springs inside the cones allow them to go down and against part #8, which creates the pressure necessary to force water through the holes on the top of each cone. Most of the water has no place to go but through the holes in the top of each cone.

That how it works gents. No smoke and mirrors and stuff you see in Las Vegas. Nothing but physics. It's just water taking the path of least resistance.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #198
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey Junkman...I know in your vid you said 70 degrees is ideal. Any issues doing the 2 bucket wash, polish, and sealant in, say, 45 degrees I have a bunch of shows coming up soon and no decent weather . I'm not sure how the cool weather will effect the products...especially the sealant binding to the clear coat.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #199
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

The sealant issue is something that you are going to have to ask the manufacture. Only they will be able to tell you the best and worst conditions for their product's application. Washing is fine, you're just going to have some COLD fingers. I suggest using hot water to help keep your fingers from freezing. Polishes are in the same category as your sealant. Some work fine at cold temperatures, some not so well. Some work really well when it is hot outside as long as the surface of the car is not hot. I never subject myself to those extremes because I don't want any issues working against me. Thus, I don't see the issues that some of you guys experience who do not have a heated garage to work in.

I feel your pain but I am not going to experience it and report back.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #200
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
The sealant issue is something that you are going to have to ask the manufacture. Only they will be able to tell you the best and worst conditions for their product's application. Washing is fine, you're just going to have some COLD fingers. I suggest using hot water to help keep your fingers from freezing. Polishes are in the same category as your sealant. Some work fine at cold temperatures, some not so well. Some work really well when it is hot outside as long as the surface of the car is not hot. I never subject myself to those extremes because I don't want any issues working against me. Thus, I don't see the issues that some of you guys experience who do not have a heated garage to work in.

I feel your pain but I am not going to experience it and report back.
I understand lol thanks
Old 03-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #201
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
Quote:
You are both being fooled by physics. Water will always take the path of least resistance. Look at the diagram below for clarity.

If you look at part #6, you will see that each of the 4 cones has a hole in the top of it. Those cones are submerged BELOW the water line and thus, water is not only around them but also INSIDE them (those cones are completely open on the bottom of them where the springs are shown).
What you are calling cones, I am calling the pumps. I understand how physics work, I was just saying that maybe you could replace items 6 to 9 in your illustration and have something that floats to replace the springs/cones or pumps. see my illustration below the red item #6.

Maybe it could be a plastic ring or a styrofoam ring or a small rubber tube?

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #202
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
I just cant get past paying $130 for a plastic bucket, some more plastic and a few springs. if it was like 49.99 I might just be worth it for my time spent cleaning a few pads. From the videos it does not look the the water jets do THAT much, it was more like the majority of the work was done by the grit guard on the pad.
AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #203
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteMayheM View Post
I just cant get past paying $130 for a plastic bucket, some more plastic and a few springs. if it was like 49.99 I might just be worth it for my time spent cleaning a few pads. From the videos it does not look the the water jets do THAT much, it was more like the majority of the work was done by the grit guard on the pad.
Congratulations. You've figured it out. The machine spinning the pad against the Grit Guard insert is what cleans the pad. The "pumping of the water" does nothing but help get the pad wet. Other than that, it does nothing in the cleaning process.

I've been using this thing for years. The operation is NOT rocket science.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #204
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Borderless Blond towels from Zaino are back in stock! Get'em while they last!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #205
AdamZ
Account Suspended

30 minutes ahead of you haha
Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #206
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
30 minutes ahead of you haha
clean that SS now
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #207
AdamZ
Account Suspended

JOE IT'S CLEAN. IF I CLEAN IT ANYMORE IT'S GOING TO TURN SUMMIT WHITE.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #208
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
JOE IT'S CLEAN. IF I CLEAN IT ANYMORE IT'S GOING TO TURN SUMMIT WHITE.
then you be cool like Violent Vinny, lol
Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #209
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Borderless Blond towels from Zaino are back in stock! Get'em while they last!
God bless the smart phone.... 6 should hold me for a while.

Thanks JM!!

tramtwo posted this on the go
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #210
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Your videos are great and we appreciate you making them.......but I have a few questions for you.

How should we polish the edges? Like on the fender edge, around the cowl of the hood or body lines?

How many Zaino towels do you recommend for a polish job?

Which waffle weave towels do you recommend?

What wax and sealant would you use?