Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #533
bubsy73

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
It kinda covers it. lol

The log shows grams per item and cals but not macro's. Some say caloric intake is what matters but I disagree somewhat, the macro breakdowns are important, Carbs, proteins and fats.

Generally speaking, starchy carbs should be eaten earlier in the day, fiberous later in the day. Protein should be eaten at every meal and although fruits are healthy they should be somewhat limited to a couple of servings per day and preferably from whole fruits, not canned. Whole fruits have a higher fiber content which is important.

Also some of the items you listed I'm not familiar with so the ingredients are also important.

The calorie burn for walking looks like it's about right but the calorie burn for work seems a bit high especially if it's something you do often as the body adapts to all exercise and it becomes less effective.

On the log you posted I see arrows to expand the items but they do not function here, when expanded does it give a further breakdown of the carb, protein and fat content? If so, that would be a big help.

Also as I suspected your dinner is a large portion of your cals, it shouldn't be. Eating a lot of cals at night does very little to fuel your body but in fact will most likely be converted to fat and stored that way.
Fair enough, I'll try and change that up and eat lighter for supper. I did a screen shot of the breakdown for the entire day. Here it is
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359067564.217807.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  128.3 KB
Now that I see that it doesn't look so good. Tomorrow is a new day and I'll try to do better...
bubsy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #534
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsy73 View Post
Fair enough, I'll try and change that up and eat lighter for supper. I did a screen shot of the breakdown for the entire day. Here it is
Attachment 465564
Now that I see that it doesn't look so good. Tomorrow is a new day and I'll try to do better...

This is the exact reason people are so confused about fat loss. The macro goals they give are far from optimal. I don't know where they come up with this stuff. Everyone's body is different but as a good starting point I usually recomend 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat . This combination usually works very well for most, if it turns out not to be working as expected adjustments can be made but the recomendaitions they give aren't close with my beliefs. Let me crunch some numbers and see what I can come up with.

Sorry, I didn't see it posted, how tall are you?
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #535
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbunny View Post
Oh hello! I'm not dead! I'm kinda going through this no electronic phase, weird I know... But its sort of refreshing. I just wanted ya'll to know that I am still going to crossfit and doing my thing. Haven't forgotten you.
No electronics, now that would cause sever withdrawal. lol.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #536
bubsy73

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
This is the exact reason people are so confused about fat loss. The macro goals they give are far from optimal. I don't know where they come up with this stuff. Everyone's body is different but as a good starting point I usually recomend 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat . This combination usually works very well for most, if it turns out not to be working as expected adjustments can be made but the recomendaitions they give aren't close with my beliefs. Let me crunch some numbers and see what I can come up with.

I'm 5'5 and I owe you a big thanks for helping steer me in the right direction!
bubsy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #537
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbunny View Post
Oh hello! I'm not dead! I'm kinda going through this no electronic phase, weird I know... But its sort of refreshing. I just wanted ya'll to know that I am still going to crossfit and doing my thing. Haven't forgotten you.

Hi BB - good for you getting away from
the electronics for awhile. Good to see you
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #538
CFD

Quote:
Your more than welcome, I'm glad to do it as I am a bit passionate about this stuff.

Here is what I think would be a good starting point.

1600 cals daily

640 from carbs = 160g
640 from protein= 160g
320 from fat= 35g

Ideally you would eat 5 times daily so per meal

32g carbs
32g protein
7 g fat

Rarely will meals come out exactly as listed, some meals might be lower/higher in carbs and you should try to eat the higher carb meals(starchy) earlier in the day and reduce carbs later in the day. If you make good food choices the fat will be close. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS EAT PROTEIN WITH EVERY MEAL. Eating enough protein will be your biggest challenge but there are many tips on how to do this in previous posts, I will find them for you as well as how to put together meals. I will look over your schedule and see if I can come up with a few suggestions on what to eat when.

I see how you can edit the numbers in your app, if you can substitute their numbers with mine, don't worry about anything listed except the carbs, protein and fats. I will explain them once we get a plan going.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #539
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:

Just to show how different body types are... I respond the best to 50/30/20 (P/C/F) when I do a cutting diet. 40/40/20 is a generally well rounded diet, and can be used for putting weight on or taking it off, and as CFD said, it's a good starting point. It's really going to come down to how hard you exercise, and what your body is doing with those carbs. If you don't use a lot of your muscles for exercise (just running or biking for example), you probably will respond better to a lower amount of carbs. But that's later...
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #540
CFD

Bubsy73

Here is a post from before, the numbers are very close to where you should be, you can use it as is (1700 cals daily) or reduce everything slightly to the numbers I gave you. This will give you an idea of what and when your meals should be. From here you can construct your meals using the method below and post them, then we can look at them and show you where and how to improve them. Any questions or if you're confused about anything just ask away.

Ok, here are some figures that should be followed. For what is reffered to as maintenance, that is to stay where you are you would need to eat 2200 cals per day. For weight loss(1-2lbs weekely) you will need to eat 1700 cals per day. This is a starting point, if you honestly follow your caloric needs it will most likely work, if not we can then make adjustments, this is your base line dyno run lol.

If you eat 5 meals a day(you should be) that means 340 cals per meal

From that 340 cals per meal you should eat a 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat this is pretty much a good starting point for weight loss.

When all the math is done the following are the 3 most important #'s that you should be concerned with

35 g carbs
35 g protein
8 g fat These are per meal numbers

Each meal you eat should contain the above amount of each, some meals will not meet the numbers but that's ok as long as the total daily amount is close but you should try to eat a little of all three with each meal.

This is a food chart that gives the values for a wide variety of foods that should be on your "good to eat list"

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 959x1240 and weights 223KB.

Now from the list above pick an item from each category that meet the numbers above. For example we are going to do chicken for lunch, that's our protein source so a 4 oz chicken breast is 35 g protein and 5 g fat, your protein needs have been met so now pick a carb source, let's use sweet potatoes, 4 oz of sweet potatoes is 32g carbs and 2 g protein so now your protein and carbs are pretty much covered but crap, that's not enough food for my lunch so you are a little shy on carbs so pick another carb source but NOT a complex carm, pick a fiberous one like 1 cup broccoli which has 4 g protein and 8 g carbs. Some values are over and some are under but as long as the daily totals are close all is good.

Now when you cook you can and should use spices, usually no cal count and other oils sauces whatever but you must consider their calories into the pic. So if you add just 1 tabelspoon of butter on your broccoli you just added 7 g of fat and 100 cals to your meal, now you blew it, and on top of it all it's SATURATED FAT, a killer.

This is where most people screw up big time, it's just a little butter, or one piece of chocholate or a little bit of popcorn, I bring this up because if you look at the label you posted you will see that the popcorn that you thought wasn't bad screwed everything up, it has 140 cals almost half of what a full meal has, look at the fat and carb content of it. 8 g fat, 18 carbs that's all of your fat intake for a full meal and half the carbs of a full meal and what nutrient value does it have, almost none, it's like putting water in your gas tank. Pretty bad huh, well now check this out, it has 8 G SUGAR , although not a fat on an ingredient label, and by the way, that's a lot of sugar, it will be a fat on your butt after you eat it. Let me ask a question, would you put 8 heaping teaspoons of sugar in your coffee, because that's what is in your popcorn

So many people who try to be accountable and eat right have a good idea of how many cals they eat with their main foods but have no idea how many cals are in those little things and they add up so by the end of the day a little coffee creamer, 1 tsp sugar in the coffee, one lowsy piece of chocolate, a little popcorn and a bit of salad dressing just doubled your calorie intake for the whole day and it's not like it was something useful, it was fat and sugar, ever wonder why your weight hasn't changed in 3-4 years, it's those little thing you thought were ok, THEY ARE NOT OK.

Look at it like buying a car(you can relate to this lol) you have your sticker price all is cool, then they hit you with destination costs, dealer prep, taxes delivery charges whatever the car is your meal the rest is your condiments lol

You have to change your thought process and look at the big picture and THEN you will succeed.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #541
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Just to show how different body types are... I respond the best to 50/30/20 (P/C/F) when I do a cutting diet. 40/40/20 is a generally well rounded diet, and can be used for putting weight on or taking it off, and as CFD said, it's a good starting point. It's really going to come down to how hard you exercise, and what your body is doing with those carbs. If you don't use a lot of your muscles for exercise (just running or biking for example), you probably will respond better to a lower amount of carbs. But that's later...
Exactly, I like to look at this like a baseline dyno run, record everything accurately then adjust as needed
Old 01-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #542
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:

bubsy73 - listen to CFD and follow his direction - it works!!!
It takes a little getting used to counting everything, but
with the My Fitness Pal app, just put everything in and
start doing the math. You'll be amazed at how quickly
you can start to figure out where you're at. My challenge
now if variety. Starting to try more fish (not a big fan)
but I do like orange roughy. Also saw a turkey meatloaf
recipe that looked good and would give me some great
leftovers -errr-previously prepared meals.

I feel GREAT today!!! Exercised, worked hard all day -
and no plans when I get home Pants
felt a little looser, but I'm not ready to make that
declaration just yet Oh and NO burpees today
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #543
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Well...I finally broke down and re-joined the gym after 2 years... Not going to abandon my P90X routine but already after two weeks of going to the gym i've lost 5 pounds and a pant/shorts size Just need to focus on eating better *more consistently and i should reach my goals
Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #544
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. It was a cold icey drive home but we made it without any problems. Now it is time to get down to serious business. Tomorrow I have to go to a Camaro club officer's meeting but Sunday I will shop for some foods for the week. I have a couple of leads on new classes to follow up on and I got through quite a bit of the Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle Book read. But, I just can't seem to get the knack of using the calipers. I think I could do it 10 times & get 10 different readings. The hardest is doing my upper arm. First I have virtually no fat there, then I just don't seem to have enough hands. Even on my tummy which is my problem area and yeah, there is some fat there, but it just seems like I pinch it up differently each time no matter how hard I try to do it the same. Soooooooooooooo is there a trick to this?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #545
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. It was a cold icey drive home but we made it without any problems. Now it is time to get down to serious business. Tomorrow I have to go to a Camaro club officer's meeting but Sunday I will shop for some foods for the week. I have a couple of leads on new classes to follow up on and I got through quite a bit of the Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle Book read. But, I just can't seem to get the knack of using the calipers. I think I could do it 10 times & get 10 different readings. The hardest is doing my upper arm. First I have virtually no fat there, then I just don't seem to have enough hands. Even on my tummy which is my problem area and yeah, there is some fat there, but it just seems like I pinch it up differently each time no matter how hard I try to do it the same. Soooooooooooooo is there a trick to this?
Glad you had a safe trip back, hope you enjoyed the time off.

There's a lot of info in that book, actually the most accurate info I've seen in one place. Are you understanding it and getting an idea of how things work?

The calipers are not easy to use, consistency is difficult. That is why I've said you can have three different pro's measure you with three different results but usually are pretty close. I've mentioned the Accumeasure single point caliper before as it is very accurate and uses one point measurements(belly) with very consistent readings. Three point is difficult to do yourself, perhaps you can show your hubby how and let him do it, but be very carefull, he may get distracted easily. lol. Don't get dissapointed with caliper readings, they change rather slowly in comparison to scale/weight readings.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #546
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I understand most of it fine. I lot of stuff I already knew but like you said, put together in a way that helps plus some new information. I easily get lost in the numbers stuff. That will be the hardest part for me. I simply have a mental block for anything related to numbers. I find myself just looking at the words and it just washes past me. It will take me a while to process all that stuff. I am going to try to download the app Becky has and maybe that will help some. What do you think I should shoot for as a starting point for calorie intake & such. I have never really tried to count calories, and other intake data. I hope I can make myself keep that up. It will be very hard for me. Mike has been trying to help with my gluten free food transition and healthy eating, but I will be on my own with this. No way is he going to do this. I will have to cook for myself and with my nearly hour long commute time gets pretty tight. I will just have to figure it out.