Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
VT Knight

Drives: '12 2SS RS
Key Fob Door Unlock Button Randomly Stops Working and Anti-Theft Flashes Red

Has anyone's key fob door unlock not worked and then later work again?

I got to my car after work today and none of the key fob buttons worked. So I used the key to unlock the door and then the horn starts going off, as if I were breaking in. Once I start up the engine, the horn stops, but a red light continues to flash from the anti-theft (light sensor area) on the dash. I tried restarting the car and locking/unlocking the doors via the in-car button. No luck. So I drove home with the flashing red light.

When I got home, the key fob started working again and I was able to lock and unlock the doors with it. However, the anti-theft continues flashing red even when I restart the engine again.

This happened to me at least three times with my old 2LT, however the anti-theft never continued to flash red. The key fob would fail, the horn would go off until I started the engine, and then all would be good by the time I got home.

Given that the key fob has failed on me on multiple occasions with two Camaros, I can only assume I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I suppose its to the dealer for me, but I was hoping to find a way to shut off the red flashing light since I probably won't be able to take it in for another day or two.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm covering it with a piece of paper for now.
VT Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Knight View Post
I'm covering it with a piece of paper for now.
...yeah that's really going to fix it.

I'm at a loss. I haven't experienced it and this is the first time i'm reading about it. I know on older GM vehicles, the Passlock 2 system would fail, but that's totally unrelated to the issue you're describing.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I wouldn't have any DIY suggestions but if you can still take the vehicle in to your dealer they should get you taken care of. Hopefully it's a simple quick fix. Let us know how things go for you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
probably need re-programmed 15 minute fix
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Got any high power electronics you put your keys near?
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
VT Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
Got any high power electronics you put your keys near?
Just a standard Dell desktop computer. Nothing of high power.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
VT Knight

As soon as the service tech looked at the car, the anti-theft stopped flashing. They tried locking and unlocking it, and starting and stopping the engine, but could not get the problem to reproduce. They said it would be hard to try to fix it when they can't reproduce it and I can understand that.

They also found there was an airbag recall which required a reprogram, so they took care of that.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Glad to hear everything is back to normal for you VT. Hopefully this is one of those rare occurrences for you. If anything your dealer knows about this and if in the future you have this problem they'll look a bit deeper in to the problem for you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 04-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
VT Knight

Yea, hopefully its a one-time fluke. They also mentioned finding no bulletins on any cases like this.

Thanks for checking in, Jeff.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
VT Knight

The key fob stopped working again (temporarily) today. This time it quit before I locked the doors, so I had to shut the door and lock it with the key. No alarm went off when I got back in since it was not able to be set. Then when I got home, it started working again. Total key fob downtime was less than 30 minutes.

I really don't know what I can do here since the dealer can't troubleshoot unless I get it to them while its not working.

Surely I'm not the only one who has had this happen to them. Maybe by bringing this up again, more people will see it and have ideas.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
Canrith

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS Coupe
I've been having the same issue.

Until about two weeks ago the key fob was working fine, but it suddenly quit one day after a short drive. Ive noticed that the console situated unlock does not work either. This has become one of the only flaws I've came across, but it is a rather large one. Taking it in today, and will post what the dealer has to say.

2SS IOM Camaro, L99, w/blk racing stripes(soon to be painted tribals, to many with vinyl on the roads)
Ordered April, 22 2009
Canrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canrith View Post
Until about two weeks ago the key fob was working fine, but it suddenly quit one day after a short drive. Ive noticed that the console situated unlock does not work either. This has become one of the only flaws I've came across, but it is a rather large one. Taking it in today, and will post what the dealer has to say.
Please let us know how service goes. If you have the fix, please feel free to post the answer. If you have any other additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me via PM.

Regards,

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Canrith

The dealer's explanation was on a busted key fob that was constantly transmitting a lock code, and when I questioned the tech as to why the center console wasn't working (after I had removed the battery from the key fob in front of him so it could no longer 'transmit.') his explanation was that he could lock and unlock the doors with a direct connect from his computer.

Their fix is to order a new key fob, and after I brought up the center console lock/unlock, a new button...

Needless to say, it was a pointless venture, and I will have to go back in a week with both keys to get reprogrammed before they will actually check what is wrong with the system. I will do my best to update this thread when the actual problem is diagnosed.

2SS IOM Camaro, L99, w/blk racing stripes(soon to be painted tribals, to many with vinyl on the roads)
Ordered April, 22 2009
Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
Canrith

Spent some time testing my key fob with an rf scanner, and there is no defect with it. The car can still automatically lock and unlock the doors when shifting to and from park so the actuator(s) are still functioning.

Narrowed it down to the center console switch being jammed(stuck) into the lock position, as for the fix, I held the console in the lock position for a few minutes and rocked it, it still will not unlock the car from the inside, but the key fob can unlock the doors again, and disarm the anti theft.

Not sure if that is of any help, but it can be a (situational) temp fix.

Ordered April, 22 2009