Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #85
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
I just found this thread. 2500 miles on 2011 SS. Maybe it is not me after all. Will do some serious paying attention
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #86
SuperH
Synergized

Drives: 2011 SGM M6 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to SuperH Send a message via AIM to SuperH Send a message via MSN to SuperH Send a message via Yahoo to SuperH
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
I just found this thread. 2500 miles on 2011 SS. Maybe it is not me after all. Will do some serious paying attention
Do you have the skip shift bypass installed?

I have the factory Hurst Short Throw Shifter, and was constantly grinding second. I suspected my gear grinding was caused by the gate closing right before 15mph (when I'd normally shift into second).

Every time, I would go to shift at 14mph, and 90% of the time, my gears would grind. So, I stopped using 2nd altogether, except to slow down and take off from a roll.

Yesterday, I received my Skip Shift Bypass (Solenoid impedance emulator), and installed it today. I have shifted to second over 40 times today, in our stop-and-go city traffic, with 100% success rate.

My car has 23xx miles on it.

Might be worth looking into... Regardless, it shouldn't grind, ever. My clutch was fully depressed... to the floor. I know I wasn't doing anything incorrectly.
SuperH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #87
SuperH
Synergized

Drives: 2011 SGM M6 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to SuperH Send a message via AIM to SuperH Send a message via MSN to SuperH Send a message via Yahoo to SuperH
Update... "F" what I said.... I missed twice this morning. I think the common theme now is a cold transmission for me. Gauge was just over 30F.

This sucks.
SuperH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #88
my2cents

Drives: SGM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperH View Post
Do you have the skip shift bypass installed?

I have the factory Hurst Short Throw Shifter, and was constantly grinding second. I suspected my gear grinding was caused by the gate closing right before 15mph (when I'd normally shift into second).

Every time, I would go to shift at 14mph, and 90% of the time, my gears would grind. So, I stopped using 2nd altogether, except to slow down and take off from a roll.

Yesterday, I received my Skip Shift Bypass (Solenoid impedance emulator), and installed it today. I have shifted to second over 40 times today, in our stop-and-go city traffic, with 100% success rate.

My car has 23xx miles on it.

Might be worth looking into... Regardless, it shouldn't grind, ever. My clutch was fully depressed... to the floor. I know I wasn't doing anything incorrectly.
I have almost the same exact car You do color and all... and mine grinds under harder acelleration anything above 3500rpms every time? I am thinking its a trans problem and I only have 500 miles on it!
my2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:12 AM   #89
LT1Jeep
Ecstatic Camaro SS Owner

Drives: Jeep(s) [1in pieces] and 2010 SS/RS
my notchy trans just progressed to the grind 2nd problem. after readign on here i can see im not alone. i also searched the web and found similar probs across other platforms. according to this post it looks like tremec has some upgrades for the older trannys so maybe this could help if the earlier ones arent up to spec.
"The 2010 Tremec 6060 has a new 2nd gear blocking ring and 2nd gear slider tomake it easier to get into 2nd gear under high load."
also i read that some think gm and ford and chrysler all have slightly different specs for the same trans so maybe thats why most of the ford guys are happy and the vette and us camaro guys are problematic.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #90
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
I have 18k on my Camaro and not one issue with the gears.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:31 AM   #91
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Being that the camaro and mustang have the same trans Trading to get a smaller motor seem tarded to me.
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #92
LT1Jeep
Ecstatic Camaro SS Owner

so i dropped mine off and they called me the next day to inform me that yes there is a problem with 2nd gear (duh) and that they would either 1) get all new parts and replace whats bad or 2) replace the whole trans if they couldnt get the parts because they are hard to get sometimes. [im thinking its a growing problem and parts are scarce] . then 2 days later they called to say they are gettign all the needed parts from different places and it will take some more time, prob 3 days. we'll see and ill let you all know how it goes.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #93
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Glad to see they admitted a problem and are taking care of it! I hope you get details of what they did and pass on to us! Thanks!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #94
LT1Jeep
Ecstatic Camaro SS Owner

they finally CALLED ME for a change and said they got all the parts and almost have the trans back together, another day to reinstall and put everything back together. then a couple 'recall' upgrades i guess something about the HVAC program or whatever. and i should hopefully get here back by the end of the week. ill let you all know.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #95
USMCss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT
I have been having all these same problems, grinding on 2-3 shifts, hard to get into 2nd gear, really notchy all around. Was unable to reproduce it at the dealership (of course) but they said they believed me. The tranny tech was a big car guy and I could tell he was eager to look into it.
Just got a call this morning from the dealership, they have a remanufactured tranny on the way to replace mine with. GM said because of the time period my car was built (April 2010) that they'd replace it. I'm guessing it's a problem then with a certain lot at tremac during that time.
I have an aftermarket shifter, tune, etc., they weren't able to replicate the problem, AND they're still going to give me a new tranny. Maybe they saw my Department of Defense parking sticker haha, giving into the Man.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #96
USMCss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT
oh, and they mentioned they had to do an entire tranny replacement because the majority of parts are on a 1-2 month back order....
Old 12-31-2010, 08:00 PM   #97
LT1Jeep
Ecstatic Camaro SS Owner

i got mine back today..... drives nice but it was too snowy and wet on the roads to fully 'test' it with some spirited shifting. so maybe this weekend.
ANYWAY here is the paperwork with all the info for anyone interested:

Old 01-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #98
dcoates

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS
Add me!

Add me to the grinding 2nd gear club!
Just a hair over 2600mi. and it just started the grinding from 2nd gear only.
sure seems to be a synchro to me.
We'll see what the dealership has to say.
i usually shift 1-3-5 and downshift "normally" if that matters...