Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #15
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BVert View Post
I wonder what they would do if some of your sticky weights happened to mysteriously "fall off" and you complain of sqealing? Would they replace the sticky weights or give you roller weights? Not that I plan on doing it but it makes you wonder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
If you really want the skates keep bitching to your dealer about your brakes making noise. There's a TSB that says to yank off the weights and install the pads with the skates.
The pads have the skates? I thought the skates were riveted to the caliper BUT I COULD BE WRONG.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm0002 View Post
The pads have the skates? I thought the skates were riveted to the caliper BUT I COULD BE WRONG.
It looks like they are part of the pad. Either way the pads get changed. Here's a PDF file of the TSB it's sideways so you'll have to click rotate under the view options to read it. Or hold your screen on it's side!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Brembo.pdf (350.5 KB, 146 views)

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
It looks like they are part of the pad. Either way the pads get changed. Here's a PDF file of the TSB it's sideways so you'll have to click rotate under the view options to read it. Or hold your screen on it's side!
Thanks! It sounds to me like if you're lucky enough for the sticky weights to last the life of the pads, you'll end up with skates when it comes time to replace them.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #18
TAP101
Retired Veteran

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
That's great, I think they can do something with the squeal now. Thanks for the TSB.

i
Old 07-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #19
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
They are on the pads and this is similar to a setup that was on Porsche Brembos previously. The difference is the Porsche roller skates set lower into the caliper. I will say (while holding my breath) my breaks have squealed for a long time. I am on my 4th set of pads and they have the roller skates. They are not squealing thus far a week in. I had ceramics on front and they got a little better but they squealed...hope I don't eat my words...DAMMIT!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #20
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkySS View Post
They are on the pads and this is similar to a setup that was on Porsche Brembos previously. The difference is the Porsche roller skates set lower into the caliper. I will say (while holding my breath) my breaks have squealed for a long time. I am on my 4th set of pads and they have the roller skates. They are not squealing thus far a week in. I had ceramics on front and they got a little better but they squealed...hope I don't eat my words...DAMMIT!
So are you telling me that when you go to your local NAPA or Autozone or ... that the replacement pads they would sell come with skates or is this dealer only OEM stuff? And then we'd have to take off the current weights when brakes are replaced? Something doesn't sound right.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #21
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
These3 are the new style pads. A bulletin came out concerning noise issues, and had you remove the weights, and replace the pads with these. This info may be out for about 2 months or so

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #22
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
So are you telling me that when you go to your local NAPA or Autozone or ... that the replacement pads they would sell come with skates or is this dealer only OEM stuff? And then we'd have to take off the current weights when brakes are replaced? Something doesn't sound right.
I checked Advance...none of the pads they sell come with the weights on them. They are just normal fixed caliper pads.

My question is why do these cars have such bad issues with squealing brakes?? Plenty of other cars use the same or similar calipers, yet do not have any squealing issues.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #23
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
I checked Advance...none of the pads they sell come with the weights on them. They are just normal fixed caliper pads.

My question is why do these cars have such bad issues with squealing brakes?? Plenty of other cars use the same or similar calipers, yet do not have any squealing issues.

So this is even better, right? If you want to "upgrade" to the skate setup, just complain about noise and vibration, and the dealer will do it for you under the TSB. However, after they do it, you won't be able to buy future pads with skates from your local store and after the TSB fix, there will be no sticky weights on your calipers either. So subsequent brake (pad) replacement will have to now be done at the dealer ($$$) if you want the skates.

That's really smurfed up. Are we SURE that the skates are attached to the pads and don't somehow remain permanently on the caliper when the brake pads need replacing?
Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #24
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
So this is even better, right? If you want to "upgrade" to the skate setup, just complain about noise and vibration, and the dealer will do it for you under the TSB. However, after they do it, you won't be able to buy future pads with skates from your local store and after the TSB fix, there will be no sticky weights on your calipers either. So subsequent brake (pad) replacement will have to now be done at the dealer ($$$) if you want the skates.

That's really smurfed up. Are we SURE that the skates are attached to the pads and don't somehow remain permanently on the caliper when the brake pads need replacing?
That makes the most sense, but the TSB clearly states that it's a front brake pad replacement and only lists one part which is the pads. Perhaps this is a special kit that includes the skates and from then on you just replace the pads?

Old 07-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #25
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BVert View Post
That makes the most sense, but the TSB clearly states that it's a front brake pad replacement and only lists one part which is the pads. Perhaps this is a special kit that includes the skates and from then on you just replace the pads?

Now that I'll buy (as true)...
Old 07-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #26
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Are we SURE that the skates are attached to the pads and don't somehow remain permanently on the caliper when the brake pads need replacing?
Yes. They are riveted to the pad back plate, which was revised to include this feature. Other compounds and/or other rotors may not require this extra damping mass to mitigate vibration.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #27
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
Yes. They are riveted to the pad back plate, which was revised to include this feature. Other compounds and/or other rotors may not require this extra damping mass to mitigate vibration.

Chris
So then if I read this correctly, my original assumption is correct: The average Joe can not buy the pads (with skates) from their local autoparts store. When pads need to be changed, a person must buy these "special" ones from a Chevy dealer. Only people who have the original "sticky" weights will be able to go to NAPA for example and buy replacement pads. Correct?
Old 07-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #28
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
So then if I read this correctly, my original assumption is correct: The average Joe can not buy the pads (with skates) from their local autoparts store. When pads need to be changed, a person must buy these "special" ones from a Chevy dealer. Only people who have the original "sticky" weights will be able to go to NAPA for example and buy replacement pads. Correct?
Correct on the OE weighted pad configuration, at least for now. But that does not mean an aftermarket pad in a standard "weightless" D1001 shape will not work. In fact, there are several pad compounds that will work better than the OE pads. Others will dust less, etc. The damping mass is likely not necessary for many of them. Remember: It is needed for that specific pad compound in that specific caliper running on that specific rotor on that specific car. Change any one or more of these elements and those weights may not be needed. That's just how harmonic vibrations work.

Unless one of the pad manufacturers finds a need to include them for their specific compounds, they will not go to the added expense and complication of putting them there. Typically, some will eventually feel pressured by customers (especially the chain stores) to make their pads "just like OE", even if it is not necessary to do so. Be prepared to pay much more for those.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote