Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
What happens with mods if your car gets totalled?

This is probably a silly question, but I've got to ask. What happens with all the mods on your car if it gets totaled? I was driving along this afternoon enjoying the sunshine and I saw a car that had recently been broadsided and was sitting on its roof. No one was in the car, some folks were standing around looking sad, and police and fire were just arriving. It occurred to me that if some idiot ran into my and totaled the car the insurance company would probably give me $25,000 and keep my car. The $14,000 or so in mods would end up going to the junk yard or perhaps if they weren't damaged the supercharger and headers would be removed and sold by some clever employee of the insurance or towing company. Am I missing something here or is that pretty accurate??
Old 04-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
If you reports the mods, and/or have receipts, I assume it would be covered.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Sounds accurate. You are always able to call your insurance company and add coverage for your modifications. However, your insurance company may deem your modifications too risky to cover or jack up your premiums to not only cover additional value but also additional risk.

However, you have the right to remove anything from the vehicle that isn't factored in your settlement, just like any other personal belongings.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #4

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
When one of my vehicles was totaled, they wrote me the settlement check, but they didn't want the truck...lol...It was still mine...If I kept it, I would have had to re-register it as a salvage....It was up to me to dispose of it, or keep it...(I just got rid of it)...

....Just sayin, if they don't re-imburse you for all that, at least you may still have it to re-sell or re-use...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Lee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
Sounds accurate. You are always able to call your insurance company and add coverage for your modifications. However, your insurance company may deem your modifications too risky to cover or jack up your premiums to not only cover additional value but also additional risk.

However, you have the right to remove anything from the vehicle that isn't factored in your settlement, just like any other personal belongings.
Maybe they'd give me a break because of my age, but my past experience with insurance companies tells me that they'd cancel me if I told them about the mods or in the best case they'd raise my premiums to be similar to your ZL1.

If it comes to that, I'll keep your last sentence in mind and will try to get the supercharger if it isn't damaged. That's the most expensive single item.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
Its called Custom Parts and Equipment Coverage (CPE).
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Speaking from having just had a totaled G8, with minimal mods, the insurance company doesn't care about mods. I tried to get extra $$ for what I had and they said that if I still had the original parts I could go get my mods as long as I put the original parts back on because they were going to give me the same money either way.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
Lee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
When one of my vehicles was totaled, they wrote me the settlement check, but they didn't want the truck...lol...It was still mine...If I kept it, I would have had to re-register it as a salvage....It was up to me to dispose of it, or keep it...(I just got rid of it)...

....Just sayin, if they don't re-imburse you for all that, at least you may still have it to re-sell or re-use...
Now that would be great. I could pull the undamaged parts off and have them installed on a replacement, or perhaps even swap whole engine.

I don't know why I worry about stuff like this anyway. If it happens it happens.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Often you have the oprtion of buying the totaled vehicle for the salvege price also that could be expensive in your case and you should have informed them of oprional equipment.........or see if you can recover your personal "items" from the car and let them know you did some "minor mods" recently and would like to recover the parts and leave the stock parts.....and I would not mention the mod being a supercharger.......
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
cmb74656

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/BLI A6
I work in a salvage yard. We rarely get any cars with mods on them (not counting those stupid-ass stick-on portholes) but when we do, they go in the showroom and are priced as-is. If the car has custom wheels, they go in the core pile unless it is a complete undamaged matched set.

MODS: RX Performance catch can, Jegs CAI, ZL1 grille, chrome license plate frame, GM locking gas cap, Defender Worx chrome DRL bezels, GM molded splash guards, Oracle LED side markers, DRLs, tag lights and reverse lamps, Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lamps, Vitesse shift paddle extenders, MBRP cat back.
FUTURE: long tube headers, front splitter, slotted/drilled rotors, leather console and e-brake handle boot, remote fuel door and rear seat release, sway bars and bushings.
WISH LIST: Edelbrock E-Force SC, LS3 conversion
cmb74656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
Now that would be great. I could pull the undamaged parts off and have them installed on a replacement, or perhaps even swap whole engine.

I don't know why I worry about stuff like this anyway. If it happens it happens.
Many moons ago I had a truck stolen that was never recovered...I had to sign the pink over to them in that case...I was surprised when they didn't want the same thing here...

The wrecked one was an '04 Avalache...frame damage only that totaled it...over all the rest of it was in decent shape...I was happy with the settlement check, and then surprised they didn't want the vehicle...lol...

I could have parted it out, kept the motor and trans, but didn't want to hassle it...The insurance directed me to a company that buys wrecks...Got an additional 2K out of the deal...Signed it over to them...No complaints....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Back in 2004 when my Z28 was totaled by a semi, I provided receipts for my mods and was reimbursed on them. I didn't have a ton of stuff done - basically just suspension, air lid and exhaust, but they did reimburse me.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
You have talk to your insurance company before your car gets totaled. Submit receipts/photos to your insurance company, pay the new rates. Lol. I did this with my car, I believe the insurance company categorizes it as a show car.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I have the Hartford Insurance through AARP. I recently called them and inquired about including my mods in the coverage. They said they do not do that, and do not provide any type of coverage for that. I guess that is OK as I don't pay very much for insurance.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote