Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-23-2017, 12:19 AM   #1
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
Bad Starter?

Here is a video bench testing my starter off my 2010 SS. Starter will not turn the engine over, but bench tests fine. All Voltage is normal along with drop voltage while cranking. Engine hand turns fine and the ac compressor is not froze. It’s the stock original.... could it be down on power? Anyone how I can test that?

EDIT: Tried to upload the video but it says invalid file. Just shows me bench testing it and it working correctly.
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:48 AM   #2
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
So you took it out and tested the starter on your bench? Take it to a Parts house and have it tested. Have you battery out and get it tested under load as well. Could be grounding contacts that need cleaning if both test ok.
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Heat is the enemy I am on my second starter, have a sock on it for the header heat, but know its hard on the starter. There are those that have made a more direct route for the starter by doing a zero gauge wire bypass around the engine bays power post that have helped for a few and I may try it some day. Checking grounds the one for the battery in the trunk is a real POS btw and a battery never last as long as it says....Just a few thoughts.....I took and hand sanded in and around the trunk ground and yes I have a new battery. Header heat stroke is not new its been around longer than me and I am old....LOL And our heat shield a joke....
Old 12-25-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
12 Volts going to it, it tests fine. Under a load, it will not even throw the drive gear out. I ordered a Powermaster Torque. Going to wrap it with some heat tape and stick it on. Should do the trick.
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote